Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro Security System with Siren: very sensitive to insects at night

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Boss281
Luminary
Luminary

I purchased the two camera pack from Amazon after reading the reviews.

In the daylight, this system works as advertised and I have both cameras mounted outside the front and side of the house.

At night, without any lights on (it's pitch black in this rural neighborhood), the IR view of what the camera sees is acceptable.  However, some warm weather this week means insects flying at night, and having one buzz close to the camera is enough to set off a motion alert.  Once it got dark I got 20 alerts even after setting the sensitivity to 50%.

Is this normal, the software can't filter out insects?  I would have assumed this common problem would be sorted out with today's technology, but perhaps I ask too much of a $300 system.

Thanks in advance...

10 REPLIES 10
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

No, the SW can't filter out the insects... but as you know, you can lower the sense level and/or turn off alerts

Wondering if you have bats going after the insects ( bats are a bit larger )

Not much else you can do.  I would try and lower the level a bit more but then test it on a person to see if its still reacting at night to a person...yes the person may have to get closer but still better than not working at all.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Boss281
Luminary
Luminary

I turned down the sensitivity to 25% and it still seems to fire off.  I'm going to try a few more things, including developing an audio only Mode.  Another observation: both cameras seem to go into continuously firing off if I do a live view.  If I turn each camera off, then turn them on and set a Mode, all is fine.  The minute I view live through either camera, they start capturing motion which I presume are the insects.  I think this may actually be a software issue...

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Contact Netgear and put in a Trouble report... this is a known issue that pops up now and then

Morse is faster than texting!
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Boss281,

The engineering team is currently investigating this issue. We will provide an update as soon as a solution is confirmed.

We appreciate your patience in this process.

JamesC

Boss281
Luminary
Luminary

Tommac, I put in a ticket and I've been asked to try a few things.  It's a straightforward list, some of which I've already tried, but I'll log the results and forward them tomorrow.  Thanks.

John

qarl
Guide
Guide

I am having the same issue.

Florida... Arlo Pro at night.  Sensitivity down to 1% -  Tiny night-time insects setting off alerts and recording CONSTANTLY with motion detection.

It's Florida. At night... we have bugs.... CONSTANTLY.

Surely you all can devise a motion sensing algorithm based on percent of pixels that change.

Boss281
Luminary
Luminary

After my initial post, it became clear that insects were NOT the issue but the night vision software.  This is a known problem and solutions are currently being tested with a few members of this community.  I have the test firmware and it appears to be working properly now.  Stay tuned...

qarl
Guide
Guide

Thanks.  That would be great if they can resolve this.

I have one camera (out of 4) that is mega sensitive.

I hope they release the updated firmware soon.

qarl
Guide
Guide

Also interesting that if I Restart the base station, the hypersensitivity calms down.

Boss281
Luminary
Luminary

I think you'll get the same behavior if you simply turn each camera off through the software, then turn it back on. That appears to "reset" the camera's software, and you shouldn't get a string of night vision triggers until you either live view it, or have one first thing create a motion trigger.  As discussed, the new firmware release will hopefully fix this problem.