Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Chillmiester
Luminary
Luminary

My camera for my driveway is installed close to the back of the house on the side by the driveway. It is pointing towards the street. If a pedestrian walks by I get a notification that there was motion detected. When a vehicle drives by on either side of the street I also get a notification that motion was detected. My camera is 70 feet from the street and 10 feet high. I have the sensitivity at 45% and still activates. My camera won't detect any movement from a person if I turn it down any lower. How is this possible if the range is 23 feet?

12 REPLIES 12
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Maybe you got lucky 🙂  ?

The PIR on the Pro has been improved over the original Arlo... The Arlo for people is usu good to 20ft+ and the Pro slightly more.

But as to cars, they are a big reflector of IR ( sunlight ) and are easily picked up at greater distances .. even sometimes at 100ft.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Chillmiester
Luminary
Luminary

I'm not sure if lucky is the correct diagnosis. It activates vehicles at night time also. Any lower than 45% and it stops detecting vehicles or any person walking towards the camera in my driveway.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Chillmiester wrote:

I'm not sure if lucky is the correct diagnosis. It activates vehicles at night time also. Any lower than 45% and it stops detecting vehicles or any person walking towards the camera in my driveway.

You do know the higher the %, the more sense level / more sensitive the PIR will be ...so it would be correct if you lower it to much it will stop detecting.

If your getting to many false triggers from the street, then lower the angle to eliminate the street in the view

Chillmiester
Luminary
Luminary

Edit: Sorry for double post.

Chillmiester
Luminary
Luminary

TomMac I can't lower the angle anymore than it is due to the height. I need it that high for theft reasons. My only alterative is to spend more money and buy the adjustable wall mount. It's set above my side door entrance. Anymore adjustment on a lower angle it will pick up movement at my side entrance which I prefer not to have. It's the distance and sensitivity that has me stumped.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

can you snap shot a pic ?

If you can't move, then the only thing at this time I can think of is the Rube Goldberg method ( actually not that bad ) where someone crafted a lens hood from pvc and painted black to change vision of shot

I'll see if I can find it

edit

https://community.netgear.com/ejquo23388/board/crawl_message?board.id=en-arlo-wire-free&message.id=1...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Features/Success-Mechanical-Motion-Detection-Zone-Masking/m-p/10190...

Chillmiester
Luminary
Luminary

1489082247584.jpg

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru
Chillmiester
Luminary
Luminary

Camera above my side entrance.IMG_1133.JPG

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Is that a window above the camera?

If so and if it was me, I would mount closer to the window and run by constant AC then you could angle it down a little more

Chillmiester
Luminary
Luminary

I broke down and bought a camera arm. I moved the camera under the window so I can reach down and take it in for a charge. Still trying to get a good adjustement so it doesn't pick up moving vehicles from the road.

Chillmiester
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks for the links TomMac but buying it for 23$ was less of a hassle than using my fuel and paying for pipe more than I needed and spending the time for a cut and fit.