Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro Questions

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
skingspan
Luminary
Luminary

I have been in the market for a video security system for about 6 months now.  Really likes the original Arlo but felt that the technology was not where I need it to be with having to replace batteries every few months and some of the other issues.  When I saw the features of the Arlo Pro it seemed to me they have solved alll of the issues I had with the original system.

So I am about to pull the trigger but have a few questions before I do.

I have a fairly large house over 4000 sqare feet.  I get spotty wireless coverage from my router in the spot where I would put one of the cameras.  Will the Arlo base unit give me better range than my router.  I have an Xfinity X1 router

I live in New England and the winter temperatures get pretty cold.  Camera operting temperature says it should work down to -4 which should be ok 99% of the time.  Just wondering of anyone has any experience using the system in cold temperatures yet.  Seems to be some people in the community having some issues.

Thanks

--------------------------------------------
https://wickedsmarthome.blogspot.com/
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

skingspan wrote:

I think the Pro would handle it well....

But as to the large house, yes that can be a trouble depending on how you set up your cameras ( and BTW, I have found the Arlo base to have a stronger signal than two other routers I had by at least 10%... not sure how that compares to your router )

There are a couple ways of expanding your PRO area.... It does depend a lot on type of home contruction which can interfere with wifi signals and the bases set up their own wifi to talk to cameras only.

Since the PROs cams ONLY talk to the base, you can

1) centrally locate the base for best coverage where the cameras are, if it covers your needs

2) run two ( or more ) bases ( no limit as to # ) by locating them at opposite ends of the home by either ethernet cable or a type of wifi expander with an ethernet port.

Take a look at the second home in this info;

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/31222/~/will-pairing-my-arlo-system-with-my-orbi-syste...

This would be what I'm talking about as to placement with an expander ( within range of your home wifi of course )

(BTW, have just started to test a second base in the orbi satellite myself a couple days ago ... it works as an extender but a reall high speed one 🙂  )

Last, as to cold.... I have ( and others ) have run Arlos down to about 0F and tho the batteries seem not to last as long, they worked fine. With the PRO, it has yest to be tested as they were just released, but use normal li-ion batteries in the pack so don'tthink it will be much diff than the 123 li-ion cells

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

skingspan wrote:

I think the Pro would handle it well....

But as to the large house, yes that can be a trouble depending on how you set up your cameras ( and BTW, I have found the Arlo base to have a stronger signal than two other routers I had by at least 10%... not sure how that compares to your router )

There are a couple ways of expanding your PRO area.... It does depend a lot on type of home contruction which can interfere with wifi signals and the bases set up their own wifi to talk to cameras only.

Since the PROs cams ONLY talk to the base, you can

1) centrally locate the base for best coverage where the cameras are, if it covers your needs

2) run two ( or more ) bases ( no limit as to # ) by locating them at opposite ends of the home by either ethernet cable or a type of wifi expander with an ethernet port.

Take a look at the second home in this info;

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/31222/~/will-pairing-my-arlo-system-with-my-orbi-syste...

This would be what I'm talking about as to placement with an expander ( within range of your home wifi of course )

(BTW, have just started to test a second base in the orbi satellite myself a couple days ago ... it works as an extender but a reall high speed one 🙂  )

Last, as to cold.... I have ( and others ) have run Arlos down to about 0F and tho the batteries seem not to last as long, they worked fine. With the PRO, it has yest to be tested as they were just released, but use normal li-ion batteries in the pack so don'tthink it will be much diff than the 123 li-ion cells

skingspan
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks for the reply.

Would it be possible to plug the base into one of the below wifi extenders in order to centrally locate the base in my house?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear-universal-wi-fi-range-extender-with-ethernet-port-white/2733324....

My router is at one end of the house and some of the cameras would be at the opposite end.

--------------------------------------------
https://wickedsmarthome.blogspot.com/
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Pretty much any extender with an Ethernet port should work, including the above one. As long as the throughput can maintain at least 1Mbs it should be fine.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes... any extender with enough thru-put would work ( as mentioned above )

Min recommneded thru-put is 1mb/sec , which most extenders can do