Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
amorris101
Aspirant
Aspirant

The product page for the Arlo Pro says:   "Flexible Powering Options

Use it wire-free or plugged in. The choice is yours."

What does this mean? I've not found any other mention that you can provide continuous power to the Arlo Pro camera and not be required to use the rechargable battery.

Can you leave the Arlo Pro plugged in to some power source? If so, please elaborate with details: AC or DC power - what voltage, etc.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

amorris101 wrote:

What does this mean? I've not found any other mention that you can provide continuous power to the Arlo Pro camera and not be required to use the rechargable battery.

Can you leave the Arlo Pro plugged in to some power source? If so, please elaborate with details: AC or DC power - what voltage, etc.

Yes.... you can leave the PRO plugged in to ac power using the adapter/usb cable supplied.

I have run it also without the battery installed so that is your choice...

but remember if you use the battery, you MUST use the charger that comes with the PRO as a regular usb cable will not charge the battery

( the supplied adapter puts out dual voltage of usb standard of 5v and also 9v to allow charing of the battery to 8.4v (full charge )

PS; the supplied adapter is not outdoor rated.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

They touched on those optional power features during the Pro Luanch...  I think they mentioned Solar and POE as way to to keep the batteries charged.  They will be adding the features in 2017

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

amorris101 wrote:

Yes.... you can leave the PRO plugged in to ac power using the adapter/usb cable supplied.

I have run it also without the battery installed so that is your choice...

but remember if you use the battery, you MUST use the charger that comes with the PRO as a regular usb cable will not charge the battery

( the supplied adapter puts out dual voltage of usb standard of 5v and also 9v to allow charing of the battery to 8.4v (full charge )

PS; the supplied adapter is not outdoor rated.

Morse is faster than texting!
amorris101
Aspirant
Aspirant

So for outdoor use it sounds like you must use the rechargeable battery until Netgear ships the solar power option in 2017. Can anybody say whether the solar power option can power the camera by itself or must it work in conjunction with the rechargeable battery?

My fear is that Arlo doesn't sell well, Netgear cancels Arlo as a product and the rechargeable batteries become unavailable. And a few years down the road I'll have 4 cameras that I won't be able to power since the batteries are unavailable. 

The Arlo rechargeable batteries don't appear to be a standard off the shelf product.

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

There is no technical information on the Solar charger yet but I'm gpoing to go out on a limb here and say that it won't ever be available for the Pro unless a modification or update is made to the camera.

There is no way that they can make a weatherproof connector for the USB that I can foresee.

I have weathersealed mine where it plugs in but am being told I could VOID my warranty.

I want constant power for exterior so I can take the battery out which also cuts down on weight.

Why the Pro was not designed for exterior constant power is the biggest question I have since many were requesting it.

See this thread

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/USB-Constant-Power-Weatherproofing/m-p/1162151#M934

migman_2001
Luminary
Luminary
I sure hope they release the solar panels as promised. I went with Arlo Pro over the Ring Stickup because of this.
I will say with just under two weeks use, and two of my four cameras recording about 5 minutes of clips each daily, the battery indicator is still showing 100% for each.

A weatherized outdoor power cord would be a nice option to have, if available in assorted lengths (5, 10,15, 20 ft). Several of my cameras could be plugged in with a little work in my part. I think it would make Arlo full featured.

Overall, I have not had any issues and am satisfied with the system so far. I have not tried the 2way sound, but the sound it picks up on the recordings is great.
DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

It is a nice system and has been very reliable for me.

Some issues, but that's to be expected when first released.

SilverSentinel
Star
Star
DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The weather "resistant" usb plug is designed for ring, not for Arlo.

Ring has a weatherproof cap on the usb charging port. When the cap is removed the port is raised from the surface (a nice design) so that when the solar panel plug is inserted it looks like it makes a seal around the port.

I can't see this solar panel (ring) working on Arlo since the arlo port is recessed.

Like I said before. The arlo is not designed for a weather resistant usb connection and the Netgear tech team is saying you will void your warranty if doing so.

However I have connected the stock USB cable and used sealant tape. You could also use silicone and it would be fine as long as you aren't removing it constantly.

The Arlo should have been designed with a weatherproof connector. Unless they come out with some type of rubber boot on the connector which doesn't interfere with the threaded mount I don't see it working.

Of course I could be wrong.

Sarterfish
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have to say that I feel very cheated that you cannot use a standard micro USB charger with an Arlo Pro camera. It wouldn't be so bad if a replacement of the 9V charger was reasonably priced... but $59 minimum for a replacement is ridiculous and it exposes the greed of the company and incompatability with standard devices. I will recommend against purchasing this product to others as a result. Compatability with other standard devices / chargers, etc. CAN and should be corrected, and that would change my opinion and rating of the product.

Luxor4s15
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have the arlo pro four pack system. Have it installed in a second seasonal home. The betteries last around 4 to 5 months for me a good amount.
The charging cable is to short so we looked for a way to put the cameras connected with the USB cable knowing that the battery would have to be taken out due to using a USB cable for an android. So we plugged two to the cable and left two with just batteries. So far a perfect result. Today I found on amazon a 20 ft USB cable for the arlo pro for 10$
I ordered two. Once I get them and install them I will know if they work with batteries or need to be used without batteries. Either way the length is a much needed use. The USB cable the system brought at second use went bad, the company was quick to resolve the problem and another one is on the way. A small price compared to the $700 I paid for the system. Over all we are happy with the Arlo Pro. Brings us piece of mind.