Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro Will the base work if I plug it into the extender, rather than the base router?

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
jhsiv
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am looking at buying an Arlo Pro system. However, the primary camera installation point is about 90 ft from my Netgear R7000 router (with thick plaster walls and ceilings in line of sight.) I also have a Netgear WN2500RP range extender.

Will the base work if I plus it into the extender, rather than the base router? I can minimize any structural interference this way. It's a fairly straight line from the router to the extender, with no or little plaster, and then a straight line to the camera, with no plaster.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes. That's a typical method for positioning the base away from the router.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Agree... the only real way to extend the range of the base from the original AP router is by extenders.

So if your max range is 90ft, and the extender does half ( or 45 ) then the base unit which sets up its own wifi network should make up the difference.

Remember that there is no limti on bases , only cameras on your service level...so if able you can have two (or more) bases, one off your main AP and the second off the extender to cover a much larger area.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------