Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Vegas771
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've had the Arlo system for about a year.  It has it's issues, but generally works well and is convenient.

I have a spot to monitor that isn't easy to get to for battery changing, so I ordered an Arlo Pro.  Everything seemed to go well.  

During the day, picture is fine, detects motion better, etc.

However, when night came, all I got was a black screen with some background lights (however, snapshot mode worked fine).  The brightness slider did nothing.  I read that re-syncing it might fix it, so I did that, but no change.  I read that disabling pan and zoom might fix it, but I couldn't find where to do that.

I was going to box it up and sent it back to Amazon, but I checked this morning and sometime in the night, it started working properly.  I still have some time to return, so I was going to leave it up for now and see what happens.

Questions:

(1) This seems to be somewhat common.  Do I have a bad camera?  And will it keep dropping out like this?

(2) How does one disable pan & zoom?

(3) Any alternatives to Arlo?  I can run power to the camera, but I need wireless transmission of the picture.  Arlo seems to be in able to handle the range fine, but it is a ways from my router.

Thanks for any help and/or suggestions!

4 REPLIES 4
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

1) It has happened before, but I won;t say common

2) just re click on the picture and it should go back to regular/full view

3) search the web, there are many ...all with +/-'s

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Vegas771
Aspirant
Aspirant

1) It has happened before, but I won;t say common

2) just re click on the picture and it should go back to regular/full view

3) search the web, there are many ...all with +/-'s

Thanks.  When you say 'happened before' do you mean it happens from time to time, or just happened once and it's fixed?  Re clicking the picture when zoomed doesn't do anything, I find I have to click reset and that seems to make it full.  I get a connection error from time to time when I try to live view.  Seems to record ok even around the same time.  Just kinda weird.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

1) It has happened before, but I won't say common

One or two other users have mentioned similar over time before

Morse is faster than texting!
Vegas771
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks again.  I guess I was wondering if it was a sign of a defective and/or failing camera.