Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Where can I purchase another base station?

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
Banger2411
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the VMS3500/3530 package with 2 Q's and 4 Wireless camera's.  I am needing one extra base station because my one station will not reach all of my wireless cameras.  I was told that Arlo would be releaseing one that can be purchased seperately without any new camer's.  Where can I find this and purchase it?  I see no info for them anywhere (Best Buy or Amazon). I am also considering purchasing a new station with 1 more new camera.  If I do this, I will need to set up a pay account.  That being said, what is the best way for me to set up a pay account with 2 Q's and 5 wireless?  Can all the wireless camera's work off of either base station?  One will be the new model*  Can I have both Q's on one account with the wireless or should I split up 1 Q with each set up when I pay?

Thanks in advance for all the answers from you out there.  I am getting very frustrated at not being able to use all my cameras at this time and I have had the system for about 6 months now-

Steven

10 REPLIES 10
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
You already have 6 cameras which is above the free plan for 5 cameras so theoretically you need an upgraded plan in the first place. It's the number of cameras that you have, not the number of bases that triggers the need.

That said, you can get around having a paid plan by setting g up 5 (or less) cameras on the plan you have now. Then create a second account by using a second email address to add the others, up to 5. Once you have both accounts populated with bases and cameras, use the Settings, Grant Access capability in one account to share to the other email address. Complete the steps in the invitation email and you'll see all cameras and bases in one login. Note that adding the additional privileges in Grant Access won't give you quite the same capability to manipulate the shared cameras, it's generally close enough to work nearly 100% of normal usage.
jcwrks
Luminary
Luminary

The 6 camera kit (VMK3500) allows the 6th camera under the free account. You can purchase a range extender to move the base to the center of your home. A $30 Netgear EX3700 (configure in extender mode) will do just fine. Setup takes 5 minutes.

Banger2411
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks jcwrks for the detailed reply.  I greatly appreciate it.  I went back to the store where I purchaced the set up and after talking to my wife we decided to get another 1 or two cameras.  That being said the difference between the extra two camer'a and a set up with an extra base station was under $50.  So I went with that.  My question is in relation to using both base stations.  Can still use the EX3700 with both?  And would you use the two base stations vs one of the EX3700? Oh year, we are also going to purchase the Premier package for the set up.  At 99.00 per year that is reasonable per month if you pay upfront and the extras are nice.

Thanks again in advance.

This post will not let me enter my camera package.  I have 4 Wireless and 2 Q's with now 2 more wireless just purchased*

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
To use the EX3700 with both bases would require that you add a switch first. The extender has only one Ethernet port so you would have to expand the number of ports via the switch.

The decision to use one or two bases in your case revolves around 2 things. 1) whether one base has enough range to connect all your wireless cameras properly and 2) whether you want to manipulate all cameras together or as two separate units (like the Q cameras can't be used together or with wireless cameras). Any cameras on one base can't be in the same modes on the other.
Banger2411
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have one queue and the four cameras working right now on the same base station. I was told I needed another base station to go over six cameras. But if all six cameras will work with the one base station AZ sold. What I need the second base station to add a 7th or 8th camera. I still have time to return the extra base station in camera that I purchased from Best Buy. Would the range extender take care of all the wireless cameras. The two cues are close to the base station at the back of the house and they're not an issue being within 20 feet of the base station each. Thank you so much for the detailed information now I'm a little bit more confused. LOL I'm glad your Guru and I have people like you that take the time to help us out here in the community. Thanks again for replying I look forward to the next one
Banger2411
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have one Q and the four cameras working right now on the same base station. I was told I needed another base station to go over six cameras. But if all six cameras will work with the one base station AZ sold. What I need the second base station to add a 7th or 8th camera. I still have time to return the extra base station in camera that I purchased from Best Buy. Would the range extender take care of all the wireless cameras. The two Q's are close to the base station at the back of the house and they're not an issue being within 20 feet of the base station each. Thank you so much for the detailed information now I'm a little bit more confused. LOL I'm glad your Guru and I have people like you that take the time to help us out here in the community. Thanks again for replying I look forward to the next one
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
One base will support 15 cameras so no issue. The extender has no use other than to help position the base optimally if the cameras are spread out. The cameras only link to the base and can't be extended. I would try all the cameras on one base to see how they work before returning the second one. Or keep the second one as a backup in case things change.
Streak2
Master Master
Master

Remember that the Q's do not work via the base, they connect directly via your wifi.

So the base only has to be positioned centrally to the Arlo wireless cameras and not necessarily to the Q cameras.

Banger2411
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks Streak2 and jguerdat 

One last Question.  If I use both base stations can I use one EX3700 with each station?  Or, if I do keep the one as a back up becasue I was thinking of doing just that due to the difference in cost, can I use 2 EX3700's on one single base station?  After you reply to this, I think I will have the info I need to move forward.  I will share with you the results and that goes for all of you that were so kind to assist with answers.  It will be 1-2 months before I get it all done.  I look forward to your reply.

Thanks again!

Steven aka Banger

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Why do you think you need to use the extender as well as a second base? There's no need to add complexity unless it solves a problem. As stated before, the use of an extender is to be able to maximize the signal to all cameras - if that's not a problem, why use it? The use of a second base is for a similar reason - your layout just doesn't work with one base. If your router and base are connected and are reasonably centrally located, you may well not need anything else.

Tell us about your configuration, layout and what you're trying to solve.