Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
arlobro
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hi,

Having an issue with Nightvision.

During the day, live view works just fine.

During the night, when using live view, it works fine..but after shutting down the live view - I get about 4 or 5 alerts in a row right after using live view that motion was detected (and it records for 20 seconds each -as I have it set to do)

Tested by turning Nightvision off, live view works, and when closed, no motion detected.

It seems like the camera is detecting its own Nightvision light as motion for some reason.. Bug? anyone else have this issue?

I have the latest base and camera firmware installed.

Thanks.
197 REPLIES 197
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The most recent Arlo Pro camera firmware update (1.090.0.1_11011) does not have any fixes related to the issue being discussed here. The engineering team is still working hard on this issue and testing possible solutions for false triggers related to night vision. We will provide an update as soon as a solution is confirmed.

JamesC

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Arlobro, the night vision repeated recordings can't be from detecting its own radiation/heat. There's approximately a minute in between the recordings, plenty of time for things to turn off.
arlobro
Apprentice
Apprentice

jguerdat wrote:
Arlobro, the night vision repeated recordings can't be from detecting its own radiation/heat. There's approximately a minute in between the recordings, plenty of time for things to turn off.

Not for me. The delay between successive false detections is 1-2 seconds.

I guess it's all relative to the amount of time you have set for each recording/motion event in settings.

I have mine set at 15 seconds of video per motion detection.

As soon as the 15 second clip ends (Nightvision LEDs turn off), within 1-2 seconds, there is a push notification and another 15 second clip.

This will repeat 1-4 times after the initial motion event or live view.

If I set my video recording size limits to 1 minute or 2 minutes (yes, i've tried), It would then record for the 1 to 2 minutes, and as soon as it stops (Nightvision LEDs turn off), within 2 seconds, push notification and another 1 to 2 minute clip.

I set them all to 10-15 seconds because it was wasting so much battery with the false motion events.

Actually stood motionless and watched the camera, as soon as the red nightvision LEDs turned off, within 2 seconds they were back on recording.. nothing there, no motion event. 

That's why I suggest residual heat, or flashback (reflecting off some object (siding) like a camera flash) when they turn off.

It could be that the array of the LEDs is too strong for the PIR - while they were trying to improve/get more nightvision light depth, the added LEDs could create unwanted false alerts from residual heat/radiation? who knows. I can guess until the engineers figure it out. It may not occur if its a wide open viewing angle with no objects, but under an eve , over a porch, anywhere where there is something within 25 ft that can reflect nightvision LED back towards detector. If Netgear wants to send me another camera to experiment on I'd try yanking out 2 LEDs at a time to see if/when it stops it.

It's either reflection, residual heat, or some bug they can't squash.

I hope they figure it out soon. I'm hoping its bug and for some reason the PIR is staying in True (motion detected state) when the LEDs turn off and it thinks there is repeated motion.  If I shut the camera off in settings right after Live view, and wait like 5 seconds, there will be no motion detects after.  It could still be occuring just being supressed from being recorded... which would be hardware 😞

shakenbake27
Tutor
Tutor
The firmware update did not help my night vision false reading issue just to let those know who may have had some relief
shakenbake27
Tutor
Tutor
The firmware update did not help my camera either. I went ahead and purchased another camera in hopes to buy one that does not have the night vision issue. It came in today, another H8 version, and I already got it set up so we will see tonight when it gets dark. I'm returning the other one. If I experience the same issues with this one I will return this one and look for another brand of camera. Such a shame because this camera could really be good for what I need it for
pcuser12345
Apprentice
Apprentice
it does same 80% it trigger 5 times in a row
pcuser12345
Apprentice
Apprentice
at night
Materhead
Star
Star

I am currently evaluating a second, modified version of the beta firmware.

WIth the current OE firmware I had a similar issue as discussed above.  Multiple false motion alerts after either a Live View or actual motion detection.  For me they only occurred at night and usually settled out after 3 -5 false recordings.

The first beta version firmware still had the false motion but it stopped at one, every time, no matter what I tried.  So, SEEMED to be an improvement.

So far, with the second version of the Beta I have not been able to trigger a false motion event.  I have briefly played around with the cameras over the last two nights and intend to try some different real motion events tonight.

Fingers crossed...... 

Carnage74
Tutor
Tutor

I found that the easiest way to test the cameras for false motion is to place them in the fridge and check the live views.  If the camera is bad it will always trigger a false motion after 30 seconds of live view in the dark.  I also think is has something to do with the cold, hence the fridge.  I have had to return three of my original cameras to NETGEAR.  The first replacements had two work and one not, after returning the last one, its replacment works fine.

qarl
Guide
Guide

Hoping Firmware fix comes soon.

1 of 4 new cameras with constant notifiations after Live View.  I have 2 more to set up still.

Florida Night Vision with LOTS of INSECTS was my first thought.  But then sensitivity has been cranked down to 1% and it persists. I assume because I was doing a Live View and the alerts started.

Interestingly, Restarting the base station from the web app, resets everything.  But I suspect the cameras are having time to cool down during the restart process.

I'm in Florida.  It's currently 54 degrees at 1:30 am.  It was 60 degrees earlier when this started.

ArloProMK
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi I'm have the same issue I think as this thread. We have a cam outside our back home entrance and every night after we bring our dogs in it goes off 4 or 5 times after we come back in and there is nothing there. We have 4 other cameras and none of them do this. 

Its really annoying. 

Materhead
Star
Star

I am part of a large group testing the beta version of the firmware intended to fix the false motion alert issue.  The first beta appeared to be better but I would sporadically get a single false motion alert on 2 or 3 of my cameras.  It was 4-5 false alerts.

About a week or so ago I started working with the 2nd version of the beta.  So far, I cannot reproduce a false motion alert after multiple tests.

Fingers crossed but this appears to have fixed the issue.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The engineering team has a fix for this issue that is currently being tested. Once testing is complete, this fix will be available as a firmware update.

I do not currently have an ETA for when this firmware will be available but we are hoping to release it very soon.

We appreciate your patience in this process.

JamesC

BCSO98
Star
Star

Materhead wrote:

I am part of a large group testing the beta version of the firmware intended to fix the false motion alert issue.  The first beta appeared to be better but I would sporadically get a single false motion alert on 2 or 3 of my cameras.  It was 4-5 false alerts.

About a week or so ago I started working with the 2nd version of the beta.  So far, I cannot reproduce a false motion alert after multiple tests.

Fingers crossed but this appears to have fixed the issue.

I'm also part of the beta testing of the last two firmware updates.  The first one made things a little better.  I could only get it to replicate false detetction one time per camera.  The latest firmware made my cameras worse.  I can now get 4-5 false detection alerts after activating the live view on the camera.  I called the tech department to report my findings and they just want to send new cameras, which they have already replaced once.  I don't see a complete fix anytime soon with this issue.

BCSO98
Star
Star

JamesC wrote:

The engineering team has a fix for this issue that is currently being tested. Once testing is complete, this fix will be available as a firmware update.

I do not currently have an ETA for when this firmware will be available but we are hoping to release it very soon.

We appreciate your patience in this process.

JamesC

They might have a fix for some, but not for all.  The last beta firmware they pushed made my cameras worse with false detetction.  I'm not to impressed with Arlo or Netgear.  Good idea, poor exacuation.  

bibik
Apprentice
Apprentice

For me, the night vision problem seems to be affecting one particular camera, but it is bothersome to have a camera constantly activating and draining the battery.

I'm starting to feel like a "beta tester" for these issues, but I'm glad that the community and Netgear CS has been supportive and responsive. 

I did a quick test for this issue by putting two cameras in a drawer facing each other; at an angle, since directly facing each other would sometimes cause one camera to not activate night vision (maybe due to the LED from the other being "sufficient light"?)

I think the share links are only valid for 24 hours, but here are a few observations: one has three 10-second videos from the camera with the malfunctioning night vision (it turned on three times after closing Live View), and the other is a 1:20 second manual record to watch the malfunctioning camera.

Videos from camera with auto-repeating Night Vision issue (3 times)

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/21D92EEED17EA8B2_201703

Video from observing camera

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/DB47B0F9B83474DF_201703

You'll notice that each time the camera with malfunctioning nightvision starts up, there are several strange flashes and fuzzy/skewed image.  Since the recording camera was already watching on live view, I'm not sure if it's due to that camera's LEDs, but maybe the flashes are related to problem?  Maybe any videophiles can shed some light on what is happening?

My other cameras seem to be functioning fine, but this issue bothers me enough to want to return this camera (to Best Buy).  But since it is part of a 4 camera set, I don't want to wind up with the other cameras becoming bad.

If this is really a hardware problem, my thoughts are that a firmware update won't be a permanent fix.  Instead, shouldn't Netgear recall all cameras with this issue?

bibik
Apprentice
Apprentice

Just another note: the flashes and skewed-color images only happen when recording is starting up on the camera with the (false) Night Vision motion detection.  If I just start Live View in front of the other Live View-activated camera (with its LEDs on), there are no flashes.

qarl
Guide
Guide

I can confirm that this is probably a hardware related issue with "some" cameras.

I bought 6 cameras all at the same time. Base station+4 and two separate add-ons.  All Arlo Pros.

Unfortunately, I didn't track which camera came from which batch/box, BUT, here is my diagnosis...

Until today, I installed 5 cameras and 1 of the 5 was becoming problematic. It exhibited the multiple false alerts (5-6 OR MORE recordings and alerts)  in a row after the IR lights fired on... either through a legitimate trigger, or from a LIVE view from the app or browser.  After any event wih the IR lights came on, it was proceeded by multiple recordings and alerts.  Yellow man was constantly on and off.

The base station was reset multiple times, as well as pulling the battery and removing/resetting, on the "bad" camera..

None of other 4 installed cameras exhibited this behavior.  All outdoors.  All running night vision.

Today, I swapped the "bad" camera with my 6th uninstalled camera.  I used the same mount so it was pointed at the same direction in the same conditions as the "bad" camera.

I ran the usual tests... trigger or live view on night vision.  With the 6th camera, I only got one recording (as expected)... no false alerts.

I took the "bad" camera, reset it once gain.  reset the base station.  removed the device. resynched the device, etc.

Per advice of Netgear tech support, I set it up and pointed it at a wall outside... Once again, multiple false alerts and triggers and 5-6 recordings of a blank wall with no motion. I reduced the sensitivity down to nothing.  Same thing.

ALL cameras were updated when first synched to the latest firmware.

One can logically deduce that this 1 camera out of 6 is faulty and it's not a firmware issue.

BCSO98
Star
Star

qarl wrote:

I can confirm that this is probably a hardware related issue with "some" cameras.

I bought 6 cameras all at the same time. Base station+4 and two separate add-ons.  All Arlo Pros.

Unfortunately, I didn't track which camera came from which batch/box, BUT, here is my diagnosis...

Until today, I installed 5 cameras and 1 of the 5 was becoming problematic. It exhibited the multiple false alerts (5-6 OR MORE recordings and alerts)  in a row after the IR lights fired on... either through a legitimate trigger, or from a LIVE view from the app or browser.  After any event wih the IR lights came on, it was proceeded by multiple recordings and alerts.  Yellow man was constantly on and off.

The base station was reset multiple times, as well as pulling the battery and removing/resetting, on the "bad" camera..

None of other 4 installed cameras exhibited this behavior.  All outdoors.  All running night vision.

Today, I swapped the "bad" camera with my 6th uninstalled camera.  I used the same mount so it was pointed at the same direction in the same conditions as the "bad" camera.

I ran the usual tests... trigger or live view on night vision.  With the 6th camera, I only got one recording (as expected)... no false alerts.

I took the "bad" camera, reset it once gain.  reset the base station.  removed the device. resynched the device, etc.

Per advice of Netgear tech support, I set it up and pointed it at a wall outside... Once again, multiple false alerts and triggers and 5-6 recordings of a blank wall with no motion. I reduced the sensitivity down to nothing.  Same thing.

ALL cameras were updated when first synched to the latest firmware.

One can logically deduce that this 1 camera out of 6 is faulty and it's not a firmware issue.

Bought 3 cameras and 1 add on.  Installed all 4 and all had false detection.  Arlo sent 4 new cameras all had false detection.  After 2 firmware trials only 1 contniues to have issues.  Also the one that continues to have false detection also has the ticking noise.  Maybe just a concidence.  

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

New camera/base station firmware has been released resolving this issue. Please be sure your system is up to date with the latest firmware. See here: Release Notes

JamesC

arlobro
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hi JamesC,

I tested the new firmware, even restarted the base and reset the cameras.

It is slightly improved ..but not fixed.

2 cameras have 1 to 3 false motion events <instead of 5>, and 1 camera sometimes doesn't false alert.. but every other test it has just 1 false alert after live view or actual motion detection at night.

So this firnware has not resolved the issues and I'm sure others will still be experiencing this issue to some degree.

Now what?
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

arlobro,

Many users have reported no longer experiencing issues after this firmware release. If you are still experiencing issues, consider opening a case with the Arlo Support Team to further investigate. Feel free to PM with the case number and any additional details.

JamesC

BCSO98
Star
Star

JamesC wrote:

arlobro,

Many users have reported no longer experiencing issues after this firmware release. If you are still experiencing issues, consider opening a case with the Arlo Support Team to further investigate. Feel free to PM with the case number and any additional details.

JamesC

Still having false detection and it actually has gotten worse.  After live view instead of having 4-5 false detections it goes nonstop until I have to disarm the camera system.  I'll try to pm with case# since arlo support sucks!