Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
arlobro
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hi,

Having an issue with Nightvision.

During the day, live view works just fine.

During the night, when using live view, it works fine..but after shutting down the live view - I get about 4 or 5 alerts in a row right after using live view that motion was detected (and it records for 20 seconds each -as I have it set to do)

Tested by turning Nightvision off, live view works, and when closed, no motion detected.

It seems like the camera is detecting its own Nightvision light as motion for some reason.. Bug? anyone else have this issue?

I have the latest base and camera firmware installed.

Thanks.
197 REPLIES 197
manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Materhead, if it is firmware issue... wouldn't everyone experience the issue? Unless whatever is causing the real issue, can be masked with some sort of firmware tweak. If it doesn't interrupt any functionality, it would be amazing if its truly fixable by firmware.
jolieqe
Aspirant
Aspirant

Howdy. I'm going through a similar problem . 2 of the 4 arlo pros are having constantly going off at night.If night vision is turned off, it does not trigger

I have a ticket in but need to decide on returning by tomorrow as it's the last day of the return policy.

Did anyone get it to finally work or did you have to have a replacement camera?

I've tried Everything from swapping cameras with the locations/settings that do work fine and it's the two that never work right. THey'll send triggers constantly at night....

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I had my 2 Pro cameras replaced which resolved the issue.  If swapping at the store is your best choice, do so. Otherwise, let the case proceed for final resolution.

Materhead
Star
Star

I would agree that returning them is the right option if your window is closing.  So far, I am not having the repeated false motion alerts with the new firmware.

Jcoren619
Star
Star
This is my 2nd set of cameras and I too am having this same issue. If everyone is having so much trouble with a product full under warranty and less than 3 months old, what do you think will happen in 3 years???

They will be garbage... seems like netgear has a good idea but terrible customer support and a product filled with bugs, that they would rather sweep under the rug!!!
arlobro
Apprentice
Apprentice

UPDATE:

I was invited by JamesC to try a new firmware back on the 13th of Feb.  I sent him my E-mail only to receive a reply 2 days later that the firmware that was being field tested did not address the Nightvision/false detection issue and that it was a miscommunication, he apologized and said that the engineers have been able to reproduce the issue and know what it is, but still waiting for a fix. 

So: I received NO firmware update to this date.

Curious: What's the firmware version on your cameras that seems to resolve the issue?

I have 1.090.0.0_9945 on all cameras.

Base station is 1.8.2.4_10232

As probably one of the first people to notice and report this issue, camera swaps and a tons of time testing later - only to have my original case force closed without resolution is very disappointing to say the least.

On another note, the H7 brand new camera acquired from Amazon around x-mas (which was working fine) is now starting to exhibit the false motion detects over the last week or so.  

Just because your camera is working fine now, does not mean it will not develop the issue at some point in the future.  I tested this cam at night countless times since December, and it would never false trigger. Just last week, 5 in a row and then it stops after the live view.  Happens everytime at night now.

I believe the issue is fixable by firmware, because if you go into the camera settings and hit the button to turn off the camera right after a live view or motion event, wait a few seconds and turn it back on it will stop false detecting.  So whatever that button does needs to occur right after the nightvision LEDs turn off so it does not trigger motion again.  If it can be done from the button - it can be done in the firmware automatically. 

I have a feeling that the sensor is overly active for a tiny period and if just the right conditions are met and reflection of nightvision light back into the sensor triggers motion again. One condition may be temperature and reflection off vinyl siding under an eve, or something like that.

Something is not right with the hardware, design, or some bug that needs to be squashed. I'm hoping it's just an elusive bug vs design flaw - if a design flaw that means a firmware fix may take something away from the cam.. maybe the camera would be blind from motion for a few seconds after a detection in that case... but would still be better then 5+ false detects and wasting battery recording nothing..  

Hopefully it is a bug, there are still small things that are being overlooked, like why the app allows as low as 5 second recordings, and the web app only allows as low as 10 --- plus the 'Record until motion stops' adventure that failed.. sometimes you got 9 second recordings, or 4 second recordings ..  it could just be a sneaky bug between the cam/base station/their servers + nightvision and have nothing to do with the hardware at all. who knows .. if that has slipped through since the beginning, maybe the false detect did too ..

Lets not forget about the ticking issue. all H8 cams I tested had it to some degree.. it has to be checked for in a very quiet environment or the dead of night.  Turn on a live view with audio recording on, Listen with headphones, you may hear a ticking clock sound.  Best is to bring the cam into a quiet room in your house and just record a little bit, see if you hear it with headphones on.  Be warned, you can't unhear it after that 🙂

ysu
Luminary
Luminary
Thanks for bringing this issue to everyone's attention first. When I first got my cameras and started to see this issue, it's a big relief that I'm not alone and someone else has already found it. That increases the chance that netgear takes care of it more seriously and quickly.

I especially agree with you that cameras working well today might start developing this problem tomorrow. That can be even more frustrating. See my update on feb 22 in thread below, I swapped my 3 out of 4 cameras and they finally work well. But the last original camera suddenly decided to do the same, which didn't happen before.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/TRACKING-Night-Vision-False-Alarm-Issues-of-Arlo-Pro/m-p/1...
shakenbake27
Tutor
Tutor
After much thought I decided I'm going to return this camera. Last night it didn't even pick up when I pulled into my driveway until after I got close to my door and then continuously went off after I was safely in my house. I had to then turn night vision off in hopes It would stop, but as it had been helping, this didn't solve the issue. It went off a few times even with night vision turned off until I messed with it for a few minutes. I'm going to look for another camera system seeing as how it's really a luck of the draw with if you receive a working camera or not. Thanks everyone for the great help!
Jcoren619
Star
Star
As I stated this is my 2nd camera system as I returned the 1st one after 1 of the 4 cameras wouldn't stay online.

Then they force you to endure a horrible call center where the agents have ZERO authority to do anything at all. They then tell you that someone will contact you via email within a day or so.

Then you receive the email and they have the nerve to tell you to pay to ship back their defective equipment. It's just beyond crazy and as I said before if we are all having these issues while the units are practically brand new, what do you think will happen down the road.

It's just such a shame that netgear knows there is a problem, doesn't issue a recall or a notice and just leaves the consumer to fend for themselves. Sad to say mines going back to best buy for a 2nd time and this time I will bite bullet and get a legit hardwired cctv system.

Netgear thanks for NOTHING!!!
Materhead
Star
Star

I agree this has been a bit frustrating but I immediately opened a case and they have been very responsive.  Of course they start out by assuming you cannot operate a paper lunch sack but once they determined I have some basic skills the assistance became much more technical.

I am patient and they have been responsive enough to tell me that they will make this right once a fix is found.

In regards to the question on my firmware above, my base is the same but all of my cameras are 1.090.0.0_11252.  So, a different camera firmware.

I moved a few cameras around and plan on more testing tonight to see if I can replicate the false motion.

Jcoren619
Star
Star
Masterhead,

Being patient is one thing but purchasing a $700 unit and having that unit and now the replacement unit not working properly is beyond frustrating. I don't know if they purposely drag out the support response time in hopes of closing the return window available but patient doesn't describe dealing with this.

We are not talking about a $40- $50 item at $700 I shouldn't have to do continously "trial and error" troubleshooting and first and foremost I shouldn't be expected to pay to ship around their defective equipment that at this point they are fully aware contains some sort of factory deffect.
ysu
Luminary
Luminary
Regarding shipping cost -- if you do RMA thru web support they will ask you to first ship back the bad cameras and you pay for that shipping. Probably not much as I guess you can squeeze a few cameras in the smallest usps priority box and pay $6. But I haven't tried.

What I did was to call them and convinced them to ship new cameras to me first then I ship back using their prepaid label. All free on me. They will ask a credit card only in case you don't ship back the old camera. But that's a lot of time and effort on the phone. And time is money. So it's pros and cons for each method.
Aspirant
Aspirant

Having same problem here. Two cameras. One inside in the basement. One outside in the cold (~15-25F) gives me the false motion alerts after using live view.

jolieqe
Aspirant
Aspirant

My update: Exchanged the Arlo Pro at Best Buy today. Employee told me she has seen a lot of returns and heard similar complaints.

So far it is ok but I do notice more of a lag in the infrared -  when I play back a night video, it shows a flash and quick sec to focus when first playing. Similar to how you see flash when you take a photo

Carnage74
Tutor
Tutor

Received my three RMA cameras today from Netgear.  Added those new devices to my base station and stuck all three in my fridge for testing.  Two are working great and the third is still throwing false motion detections.  Seems like it will detect 3 to 5 then stop.  That is an improvement from my original three cameras that would just keep going until daybreak.  I already replied to my still open case to have one more camera sent to me for exchange.  Let's see what happens...

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The engineering team is currently investigating this issue. We will provide an update as soon as a solution is confirmed.

We appreciate your patience in this process.

JamesC

arlobro
Apprentice
Apprentice

Materhead wrote:

I agree this has been a bit frustrating but I immediately opened a case and they have been very responsive.  Of course they start out by assuming you cannot operate a paper lunch sack but once they determined I have some basic skills the assistance became much more technical.

I am patient and they have been responsive enough to tell me that they will make this right once a fix is found.

In regards to the question on my firmware above, my base is the same but all of my cameras are 1.090.0.0_11252.  So, a different camera firmware.

I moved a few cameras around and plan on more testing tonight to see if I can replicate the false motion.

All of my cameras received an updated firmware to 1.090.0.1_11011    

I will report back later tonight if fixes the night vision issue.

manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

All my camera's are on 1.090.0.1_11011, is this a new version? I would have thought we would have to trigger the upgrade manually but maybe not? wonder what changes are in this version?

Edit: Geee way to be so generic.

Arlo Pro Camera 1.090.0.1_11011

• Bug Fixes
Jcoren619
Star
Star
Starting to think that some of the posters on this board are Netgear employees or compensated by netgear somehow, other than JamesC who is an obvious employee.

Because the excuses and willingness to trial and error and setup new tickets, and hypothesize about a product that cost over $500 and clearly has issues just boggles my mind.

When you buy a product you expect it to work not have to jump through hoops and contact the manufacturer several times when it's 2 months old... I really don't get it ?!?!?!
BCSO98
Star
Star

I've been speaking with tech support on a daily basis about false detetction.  I was told the new firmware that came out this morning was going to fix the false detection, connection issues, and the battery issue of draining to fast.  It did not fix the false detection issue.  I have already had 4 of my cameras replaced and they have the same issue.  For the ammount of money spent on these cameras this needs to be fixed immediately!!  

bryanlyle
Guide
Guide

Did not fix the false detections at night for me either. 

BCSO98 wrote:

I've been speaking with tech support on a daily basis about false detetction.  I was told the new firmware that came out this morning was going to fix the false detection, connection issues, and the battery issue of draining to fast.  It did not fix the false detection issue.  I have already had 4 of my cameras replaced and they have the same issue.  For the ammount of money spent on these cameras this needs to be fixed immediately!!  

arlobro
Apprentice
Apprentice

UPDATE:

New firmware does NOT fix the Night Vision issue.

It could be a placebo effect, but it seems the cameras do not generate as many false detects as they used to, but they still generate them.

Instead of 4-5 in a row, maybe just 1 or 2 after a live view/motion event.

Sometimes None, but test again a minute later -- got 1 or 2 recordings..

Tested like this: Click Live view, watch for 5, 10, or 30 seconds, Pause.   Within 2-3 seconds a push alert comes in that motion was detected.  Once in a while it does not do it, but most of the time it does, at least once.

Firmware fix (if any) is not consistant.

Ticking sound is also present and unchanged on one camera that had this issue (an exchanged H8).

JamesC, please let me know when the fix is found, and when do you think this will be fixed?

Materhead
Star
Star

I have had the same experience with the new Firmware.  I tried both Live Viewing and actual, real motion.  In both cases I was able to create a false motion detection.  Each time it was only one false motion detection and then it stopped.  Previously I may have receieved 3 to 5.

mdillon
Aspirant
Aspirant

Seems to have fixed my issue I no longer get false detections at night after update.

arlobro
Apprentice
Apprentice

Perhaps we're talking about two difference issues then?

I have never experienced an initial false detection at night for no reason.

If there is a detection at night (NightVision on), something has triggered it (animal, heavy snow, person, whatever) and I can see it in the video.

It's the 1-5 false detections that sometimes follow immediately after it that this thread is about.

NightVision echos, it keeps detecting its own night vision radiation/heat.  Happens with real/true initial motion detection, happens after live view (at night, nightvision on)

During the day or with nightvision off at night, all cameras are fine.

mdillon wrote:

Seems to have fixed my issue I no longer get false detections at night after update.