Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
MaddenFinn
Initiate
Initiate
Our four Arlo Pro cameras are detecting motion by the minute (currently dark out) regardless of lowering the sensitivity. We tested one by putting it in a closed drawer and it too detected motion every minute. Have we bought a dud or is the Arlo a dud? We had a break in this week and would like the Arlo to give us security but right now it's giving us more problems.
34 REPLIES 34
LauraJean79
Initiate
Initiate
I have one camera that does this & I have been unable to figure out why. I'm not sure if it's the same thing you're talking about, but- it's almost as if it's setting itself off again. Once it detects motion, when there really IS something there, after the initial recording is completed.. it detects motion repeatedly, even though nothing is there, at least 5-6 recordings. And it does only happen when it's dark outside! Now I'm wondering- could it have something to do with the night vision settings? Either way, it needs to be fixed! I hope we can get this figured out.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Reset the camera by pulling the pack and replacing..

If still NG, then remove the device in settings using REMOVE DEVICE and bring back as new.

Then if  the problem continues, contact Netgear Support as it may be bad.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
CRYTON
Initiate
Initiate

I have 3 camaras.  Same problem. At night the camara keeps detecting itself and firing up the video and alerts over and over - depending on the recording time set this can happen several times a minute.  It's clearly the infra red detection; maybe because it's been raining or near a shiny surface (like a window - though mine's not pointed at it).  This must be a bug in the software which needs looking at. Only way to stop it I've found is switch camara off and then on again a few moments later. Makes the camaras pretty useless at night.

ysu
Luminary
Luminary
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The engineering team is currently investigating this issue. I will post an update with more information as soon as I can. We appreciate your patience in this process.

JamesC

frankie62
Tutor
Tutor
We are also experiencing the exact same issues with at least one of our cameras. Only at night, one real motion detection and then up to four or five false notifications. Please let me know if there is something I can do to help. I'd be happy to help debug or test. Thanks!
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The engineering team has identified the root cause and has been able to reproduce this issue. I will provide an update once I have more information on a fix.

JamesC

MaddenFinn
Initiate
Initiate
Thank you. This is good to here. I had the cameras armed last night. And once I'd checked one in love mode it started recording every minute for 15 secs. until I disarmed it. But this is scary when I can't rely on the cameras and it works through the battery life.
bryanlyle
Guide
Guide

Thanks.  I'll turn off night vision for now to save battery life throughout the night.  Hopefully this is a firmware "fix" and not a hardware "fix".

payote
Initiate
Initiate

This started happening on my Arlo Pro both day and night a few days ago. Hopefully the engineering fix is forthcoming. 

rheng
Apprentice
Apprentice

This is happening on 2 of my cameras.  Once i disable night vision, I don't get the motion detection anymore.  As soon as i enable night vision, the motion detections starts up again every minute.

macjohn
Guide
Guide

My Arlo Pro (which is a replacement for a previous defective one and I received yesterday) is also now detecting motion virtually every minute unless I

turn the camera off. This occurs at night as it did not happen, but once, during the day today. There seems to be no way to predict when it will happen so 

I have to leave the camera off .

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Get it replaced again.

macjohn
Guide
Guide

Thank you..

I have opened a support ticket with Netgear.

MrMustardSeed
Tutor
Tutor

Exactly my experience with 1 of my 4 cameras bought 4 weeks ago!  Sending the one back for replacement.

rheng
Apprentice
Apprentice

Since my camera was still in the 14 day period, i was able to return the 4 camera set back to Best Buy.  After mounting the new cameras, same issue.  Once it got dark, after a valid motion detection alert, the motion detection started  sending a motion detection every minute. i went to check and it  happens on all cameras.

Disabling night vision solves the problem of the constant motion detection.  

Arlo Pro: Hardware H8, latest firmware 1.090.0.0_9945

Hopefully they fix this.  I have another 14 days to return it.  This time, i might return it for good.

macjohn
Guide
Guide

I also disabled Night Vision on the affected camera, but the camera still sent the frequent Motion Detection alerts. My other Arlo Pro is not affected

at all with this issue. I notice it has a hardware # of H7 and with the same firmware as the affected camera, but the affected camera is hardware H8..

Maybe hardware H8 cameras are the bad ones ??

Waiting for support to hopefully let me return it for another one

rheng
Apprentice
Apprentice

I don't know if returning the camera for a new camera with the same firmware/hardware will solve the problem.  I just did that and the new cameras  do the same thing at night when night vision is enabled as the one's I returned.

I have another 14 days to return this.  If they can't fix this issue during that period of time, I'm force to return it back and try a different brand.  I like these cameras, but if night vision doesn't work and i can see anything, whats the point?

ranran
Apprentice
Apprentice

Add me to this list.  One of 5 cameras does this all night - just checked and I have 260 1 minute videos of my driveway from last night.

I've tried this camera in two separate locations (backyard vs. driveway) and it does the same thing.  Another of my cameras works just fine in these locations - they both have the same settings and firmware/hardware.

Why would only 1 of 5 cameras do this?  This suggests a defect, not a firmware/hardware issue....

I have opened a support ticket for a replacement.  I do not want to have to return the whole kit, just get the one camera replaced......

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
A hardware issue is a defect.
ranran
Apprentice
Apprentice

I sit corrected. Smiley Frustrated I meant to just say 'firmware', but guess I got carried away typing....

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The engineering team is currently investigating this issue. We will provide an update as soon as a solution is confirmed. 

We appreciate your patience in this process.

JamesC

grdailey
Aspirant
Aspirant

This is good advice and I certainly will try it.  Thanks a lot for the reply!

TomMac wrote:

Reset the camera by pulling the pack and replacing..

If still NG, then remove the device in settings using REMOVE DEVICE and bring back as new.

Then if  the problem continues, contact Netgear Support as it may be bad.

ranran
Apprentice
Apprentice

I wound up doing all that, and still had the problem, so am now in the process of becoming 'experimental' status on my system for Netgear to push a possible firmware fix - am awaiting that now...