Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 27 Replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 12 In Conversation
BCSO98
Star
Star

When viewing live view on my Arlo Pro it is very laggy.  Even with perfect signal strength it breaks up and is very difficult to view.  Any ideas what the issue could be?  

27 REPLIES 27
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

There is usu for me a lag of a couple seconds which can be normal, but not breaking up...

When the camera video is breaking up it is usu a form of interference or lack of signal. Wifi is funny ( 2.4ghz ) as the other outside signals can bounce and be transmission effected and cause issues, or signals can be blocked in just one wall if not normal sheetrock/etc .  

Also a question comes up to your data thruput,  run speedtest to verify a good thruput.

http://www.speedtest.net/

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
BCSO98
Star
Star

@TomMac wrote:

There is usu for me a lag of a couple seconds which can be normal, but not breaking up...

When the camera video is breaking up it is usu a form of interference or lack of signal. Wifi is funny ( 2.4ghz ) as the other outside signals can bounce and be transmission effected and cause issues, or signals can be blocked in just one wall if not normal sheetrock/etc .  

Also a question comes up to your data thruput,  run speedtest to verify a good thruput.

http://www.speedtest.net/

Maybe breaking up wasn't the best explaination.  I can view live for several seconds then it freezes permantely or will then unfreeze for another few seconds and then freeze again.  This was never an issue in the past.  Camera's are in the same spots and good signal.  I even upgraded my router to a more powerful one and it made no differece.  Internet speed is fine.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What's your upload speed measured by speedtest.net, as Tom suggested?

BCSO98
Star
Star

@jguerdat wrote:

What's your upload speed measured by speedtest.net, as Tom suggested?

As I explained it was fine. 10 download and 1 upload.  It was never an issue until this latest update.  Nothing has changed on my end.  Playback of recorded videos works fine, it's just the live view.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A 1Mbps upload speed may well be the issue. Hopefully you actually measured it instead of quoting what you're supposed to be getting.

It could be some issue with firmware updates or maybe you've been lucky or other issues with how you use your network has changed. Only you can be sure. When I had 1Mbps uploads, I found that uploads screwed up my downloads so I used QoS in the router to reserve 100-200Kbps of upload speed which helped completely. Something to try...

BCSO98
Star
Star

@jguerdat wrote:

A 1Mbps upload speed may well be the issue. Hopefully you actually measured it instead of quoting what you're supposed to be getting.

It could be some issue with firmware updates or maybe you've been lucky or other issues with how you use your network has changed. Only you can be sure. When I had 1Mbps uploads, I found that uploads screwed up my downloads so I used QoS in the router to reserve 100-200Kbps of upload speed which helped completely. Something to try...

So does upload speed have something to do with live viewing?  Just not sure why it stopped working properly all of the sudden. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The upload speed affects everything since everything has to go to the server first. It's certainly possible that recent firmware updates have changed something (or not) but it's also possible that something in your home and/or network or the ISP has caused this. We can't tell from afar so you'll need to do some troubleshooting. All we can do is try to point you in certain directions.

To help remove various possibilities, move a camera (the most affected one?) close to the base and see if that makes any difference.

Wolj
Star
Star

OK- I upgraded from a set of Swann smart cams to the Aprlo Pro 2. What a great set up. Absolutely fabulous....except for the terrible lag. To go live from the app takes some seconds, then you are actually 30 (or a little more)  seconds behind real time. So the 2 way conversation is is not possible. If that could be fixed this would be the best system around for ease and convienience. So.......Dear team Arlo... this should be a huge and urgent priority for you to try and sort. I see many people at returning systems and that is very bad for your business. Please fix and send through an system update. Cheers

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Wolj

We are happy you are having a great experience with Arlo. Due to the communication between the camera > base station > Cloud > base station & back to your device, there will be a small delay.

BCSO98
Star
Star

How about fixing it so it doesn't pause nonstop while in live mode?  Ever since the last major update live view is almost impossible to use.  Before you ask it has full wifi range and does it next to the base station.  Oh and my internet speed and upload is fine.

@ShayneS wrote:

@Wolj

We are happy you are having a great experience with Arlo. Due to the communication between the camera > base station > Cloud > base station & back to your device, there will be a small delay.

EPOC
Apprentice
Apprentice

Why not concentrate on fixing a major issue, the two way communication stinks!

Whats really weird is in the recording everything sounds fine on both ends but in reality the person on the camera end can’t hear one word your saying. Please Arlo just fix it and you will have the best and most popular product out there. Cell phone speakers are clear so it can’t be asking for to much. 

Just fix it already!

Ronnie4946
Guide
Guide

Just had this setup for a day, The lag is terrible. Notifications are late and the microphone feature is useless in real -time. Will be returning the base and cameras for a diffrent system. Arlo just dosent cut it for me. Way too expensive for this low quality outcome.

Shawnap2
Aspirant
Aspirant
I bought Arlo pro after christmas and hooked it up. Same exact issues everyone else has except my lags are 2:50 to 3 minute lags. I have a ring doorbell and have no lag issues what so ever. So it is not my internet. I am returning the camera system and canceling my package, I'll buy all RING products. Sure their a higher price but worth it. They have no issues and if they do they fix it right away and have excellent customer service.
EPOC
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hello all,
I’m going to test this in every way up to the day I can return it .... or I’ll keep it!
I know if I had even a minute lag, I would not keep it ..... so all bets would be off if I had lag time as your stating ..... it would go right back in the box!
I must say overall I’m very pleased with the simplicity of everything, from setup to operations from within the app.
Lag time is pretty consistent on all cameras, probably about 3 to 5 seconds with VIDEO. ...... not a deal breaker. VERY PLEASED ...... I must see how batteries hold up ..... that I’ve been monitoring closely and will give all a follow up when I reach my conclusions.
As far as AUDIO I don’t even know where to begin with that. ....... but I will say it is a TEMPING DEAL BREAKER.
My attempt to fix this audio thing was to install their doorbell ...... ANOTHER JOKE, after a few days it went back to the store.
No need to say anything more about it.
I will say comparing camera audio to door bell audio, the doorbell scored a 3 out of ten (ten being great). It goes to show you how bad that camera audio is .... and the doorbell really didn’t justify a thing.
So guys that just my experience ...... and I must say “shame on Arlo for not having this audio thing perfect “ considering just about every cellphone has audio that even the worst one would do wonders to there system. No excuse Arlo!
Cheers
KCFan
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same issue with lag time in video presentation. It takes 2 minutes for the video to be presented to view (web client and mobile) after the motion has triggered. I have 4 Arlo Pro cameras, Arlo Pro base, and 1 Arlo camera.  I just purchased the Arlo camera for additional coverage. I am experiencing a 2 minute delay (audio sucks) on the Arlo Pro cameras, however their is only about a 10 second delay on the Arlo(Not Pro) camera. I have tried removing and re syncing cameras, restarted base, moved cameras closer, etc. Noting works. I have searched several of these threads and do not see much of a response from Tech at Netgear. 

Shawnap2
Aspirant
Aspirant
I just took mine back to the store and got my money back. It's sad too since the video is great quality and night vision was good too. I tried everything from moving the cameras, to moving the base and using a cat 6 ethernet cord. It was hopeless and as I said my ring doorbell 2 does not give me issues. Take them back if you can.
EPOC
Apprentice
Apprentice
Arlo has just sent an email about ARLO ULTRA and it sounds great!
We will see!
They must still give us the FREE 7 day recording. (They will give 1yr premium FREE .... but are they going to force us to keep that subscription..... )
This AUDIO thing must be perfected! MUST
AND
Are these batteries removable? and Do they last?
I HOPE SO.
I would be the first in line if these questions are answered.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@EPOC

The batteries are removable & can utilize a charging station. The Ultra battery is 4800 mAh compared to the 2440 in the pro/pro 2.

EPOC
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hello Shayne, thanks that is hopeful!
What about this free 7 day recording .... will they keep this alive? or will they be sucking us in with a subscription?
KCFan
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hey Arlo Employee. Instead of trying to sell us on a new product, how about an update on what Netgear is doing to fix the lag time?  That would be very helpful.

Christinenz
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am also having 80 second lag on my camera.  It's useless!!!  What's the point of having a security camera when anyone will be gone by the time you get the video, 

imalso bought it to use audio,  not working with this lag .

also not sure if it's related by my batteries in all,three non pro cameras are suddenly lasting a couple,e of days going down to 15% when previously would last three months!    Seems odd on all three camera, one went down overnight,  all good batteries,

very frustrated!!!

Tnatural2000
Guide
Guide

I was experiencing the Live feed delay lag - up to a minute and sound in/out. After several exhaustive phone calls with Arlo much less than stellar technical support, and another round of excellent technical support with the Linksys Router folks, and another round with the Optimum Online technical folks - the answer to my problem was the UPLOAD speed of my network.  Arlo claims the cameras work with 1MBPS upload speed - not in my case.  I had 5MBPS upload and the live feed was awful. As soon as Optimum fixed the issue and my upload speed returned to 20MBPS the delay completely went away.  Arlo should really improve their technical support as a publicly traded company on their own - it was a dreadful experience. 

Christinenz
Aspirant
Aspirant
My upload speed is low - around 1.5mb - 2 mb but that wouldn’t be unusual id imagine and you should be able to view camera footage with it. The product should be able to cope with pretty standard speed.

I have talked to my isp and can’t get it any faster. :-(. Need to sort out the battery issue too as expensive going through batteries every few days!
oldgranola
Tutor
Tutor

Me too. I've got a >60 second latency. For me its definitely NOT a wifi interference or slow internet on my end. I can analyze local signals via an android wifi analysis app which shows no interference, and speed tests are within specs. We may be having the same problem.