Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 26 Replies
  • 11 Likes
  • 12 In Conversation
Hobbitgirl
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have had my Arlo Pro camera 3 plus the base station for over a year. I have loved them and have sold numerous friends on them getting them. Since the June 6, 2018 update my live video is stuttering horridly. I went from flawless video to breaking up pixelated video. Motion detected playback is clear. No new equipment is in my WiFi network, same speed, same router and everything. The difference is the update. Anyone else having this problem. Yes i’ve unplugged and Restarted everything before I posted here.

26 REPLIES 26
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Is this only happening when you live stream? Does it occur on any device you are streaming from? Do you notice a difference when you are connected to WiFi, mobile data connection, etc?

JamesC

Hobbitgirl
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi JamesC,

Both WiFi and cellular, and only on live. Had cameras over a year and this just started after last update.
No stutter on gaming laptop, t.v., or any other device WiFi or cellular. I’ve experimented and it doesn’t seem to be impacted by what’s on the network either. Stutters even when they are only thing on use.
Lions29
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hello, I noticed the same problem with my cams while viewing live feed. Using celluar or wifi 2.4 GHz (home network) my cams have been freezing badly during live view.....but if my device on either of my 5 GHz signals the video is flawless.
Redmoonstar
Luminary
Luminary

Mine are also "stuttering" the audio cuts in and out on live view, I am also having issues with motion detection "not" detecting (they are set to 100%) and my set recording times "NOT" recording to the set times. I had no issues until the May update, since that update I have now had 2 replacement base stations and I am still having the issues. Nothing has changed with my set up, no new wifi devices and Internet is the same as it was before the May update. All 5 camera's have full wifi signal and occassionally will record to the set time then revert back to 1 - 50 secs. One camera that is set to record for 55 secs recorded for 5:40 mins 2 days ago. The camera's are missing motion and "not" recording while motion is still happening. If they were reording to my set times I wouldn't be missing the motion! This is happening with both replacement base stations so I'm pretty sure it's the firmware that they broke in May!

A-Gal
Guide
Guide
We are also experiencing very bad stuttering and up to a minute delay on live feeds. Considering we have excellent internet speeds and video streaming is perfect on other devices, this is appalling. It’s making the cameras quite unusable and trying to use the mic and speaker to converse with people at our door now is a disaster. When will this be fixed?
markhoy
Initiate
Initiate
I’ve noticed the same stuttering issue when live, the delay is rediculous,. Also in positioning mode the delay is also way to long, can’t adjust the cameras at all like this??
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey @A-Gal and @markhoy,

Are you experiencing this issue when viewing through your phone or computer?

Hobbitgirl
Aspirant
Aspirant
Mine happens on iphone/iPad as I use the Arlo App. It is still happening despite strong WiFi and on live
markhoy
Initiate
Initiate

Mine stutters on both wifi and from my desktop computer which is connected via ADSL to the base station. I just did a positioning test from my desktop and went to the camera and then back to my computer and there was a good 30 seconds delay before it showed me going to the camera? This makes positioning the cameras impossible. As for live? No there is a huge issue there somewhere.

Hobbitgirl
Aspirant
Aspirant
Loved these cameras until shutter on live which is really irritating.
A-Gal
Guide
Guide
This stuttering and the long delays are on all devices, apps and PC browsers. This is poor considering I can stream multi channels of video for other platforms with no significant issue, bar a little buffer time.
Thanks for looking into this. Would be great to get the devs onto a solution
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Is this happening even after the app update for either Android or iOS?

Hobbitgirl
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes IOS, even after app update, have stuttering of live audio and visual. I do not have lag or stutter on any other mobile app, but Arlo. This only started happening when I first made my initial comment. Prior to this the cameras worked seamlessly.
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Try to make sure that your cameras are close enough to the base station or try to reboot your base station to see if the stuttering might stop that way. To power cycle your base station, unplug the power adapter from the outlet, wait one minute, and reconnect the power adapter to the outlet. The base station takes one to two minutes to start. 

If you are still experiencing problems, contact our Arlo Support Team so they can further assist you. Click here to contact them.

A-Gal
Guide
Guide
Thanks for the suggestions, however the cameras are very close (all bars on WIFI indicator) - one sitting within 2m of the base station and indoors) and we have tried several types of reboot and power cycling in the past. It’s made no difference to this issue. (FYI: the best way to describe the audio break up is like Morse code)

It seems a lot of other users have identified the same issues with their Arlo system also. The latest iOS app update has made no difference either.
Love to see this fixed soon.
arpr1
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have an Arlo Pro system (on the latest firmware) and recently updated to the latest Arlo iOS app on both an iPhone and iPad (running iOS 12.0.1). I’ve noticed that since the new app, the static image on the initial screen (“Devices”) doesn’t properly refresh to show the most recent motion/how long ago it occurred. For example, if there was motion of a cat 2 hours ago and then a dog 1 hour ago, the image on the “Devices” screen will, incorrectly, show the cat and “2h ago”.

However if I go into the “Library”, both motions (cat and then the dog) are there and properly recorded. And if I close/reopen the Arlo app, then the initial “Devices” screen seems to properly refresh (i.e. It will correctly show an image of the dog and “1h ago”).

This was never any issue and only started happening with the new Arlo iOS app update so I’m assuming it’s a bug. Is anyone else having this issue with their Arlo Pro/iOS app?

PVS3
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just setup my VMS4130 Arlo Pro camera & Base station.

Live feed is stuttery and delayed - even when viewing on PC, which is a wired connection on the same subnet as the base station.  Base station was just inside the house from the camera.  Firmware updated.

Does not matter which browser either, Chrome or firefox. 

Any help is appreciated, this was something we were hoping to utilize.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi everyone,

Try to update to the latest iOS app version, which is version 2.6.2, and see if that helps resolve the issue.

A-Gal
Guide
Guide
Sorry, absolutely no different whatsoever after that update.

Seeing as this issue happens on both mobile and browsers, and that most users noticed the problem after a firmware update, it makes no sense that the app upgrade would help here. Please take this back to the firmware team ASAP 🙂
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A couple of things:

1) What's your upload speed as measured by speedtest.net? 1Mbps is the minimum but more is better.

2) Try rebooting the router and base in that order. Somethings little issues are solved with that.

A-Gal
Guide
Guide
Hi there.

This is going around in circles. We have consistent rebooted, power cycled and had cameras at close proximity to the base station. The thing is... it USED TO WORK. Now it doesn’t. This is terrible and it only takes a few minutes to read other users feedback with the same issues who also have great up/down load speeds. Super frustrating.

Thanks anyway 🙂
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Did you open a case with support here? If you've tried all the user suggestions, you have to go to support.

PVS3
Aspirant
Aspirant

I can reboot all day long, no difference. 

Also - I'm on the same network!  This is not stuttering when I'm out at the mall, I can't watch the video from the other end of the house when I'm WIRED to the same router.

- Pete

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That tends to imply a local network issue. You say "wired" - are you using a computer on Ethernet or just that you're on your home network? What are your upload and download speeds as measured by speedtest.net? Slow upload speeds can certainly cause issues. What other devices may be streaming at the same time as Arlo?