Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 25 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
Norrisk66
Tutor
Tutor

I have contacted tech support via phone several times. They keep asking me to make sure I am connected to the internet.

Connection failed message happens whenever I click the "LIVE FEED" button on the screen.

I have updated my Adobe Flash to the latest version.

This happens using the browsers 1. Internet Explorer, 2. Mozilla Firefox, 3. Google Chrome.

I can view the live feed on my iPhone 7+ with no problems.

I have extensively searched these forums, and have tried all the recommended solutions with no resolution.

Please help!

25 REPLIES 25
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Ok... since the system works on your phone, it is obv working

On the PC, delete the FIREFOX prgm using window's delete function, then do a complete NEW install of FireFox.

This will make sure all is 100% correct and eliminate and Live issue ( which usu is Flash issue ).

Don't forget to look at the title/address bar ( right side ) for a small icon to toggle on flash as many new browsers turn it off by default

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Norrisk66
Tutor
Tutor

Ok-Reinstalled Firefox and is at the latest V56.0.1

Now it is telling me that "a newer version of Adobe Flash Player is required. Please install the lateset version from here."

I already updated Flash to the latest version earlier this week so I believe that is not the issue?

Thanks,

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I haven't tried this but it may simply be that the reinstall of FF means that it has no idea about whether Flash has been installed.  Update it again to be sure.

Norrisk66
Tutor
Tutor

Still having issues with this.

I updated and reinstalled FireFox and flash.

Still getting :connection failed message.

Top URL bar of FireFox is telling me that Flash is an outdated plugin?

Why is Arlo still using Flash? Everything I am reading online (after extensive research) is telling me that Flash is an obsolete technology and everyone in the internet community is abandoning Flash.

I am ready to return my Arlo system at this point. Completely useless unless you have an unlimited data plan on your cell phone so you can use your cell phone full time... Very frustrated.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It sounds like it's something about your computer setup since no one else has the issue (once Flash is enabled). And there's always other browsers that do work although FF does work for not only myself but others on various platforms.

seebeasy
Tutor
Tutor

HW Version - VMB4000r3, Firmware - 1.9.0.0_14639

I get :connection failed on Windows 7 Pro, Windows 10 Pro and OS X Sierra...using the latest Edge, Firefox, Chrome and Safari.  If updated flash where necessary, and have made sure all\any plugins are enabled.  So, I whole heartedly agree with anyone else having this problem...it needs to be investigated.

If there's any specific information needed, I'd be happy to provide it if possible.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There's no problem here as long as I've enabled Flash in the browser. Don't know what's happening to you but it's a local problem.

seebeasy
Tutor
Tutor
jquerdat;

I understand not everyone is having this problem....but many are.  The fact I can reproduce it on multiple computers, on different operating systems and browsers tells me...it may be something other than my computer\browser\flash setup.  All my flash testing works fine...though that's not to say I don't experience flash problems on other sites at times.

On this current setup I have Windows 10 Pro(64-bit), Firefox 56.0.2(64-bit) and Flash 27.0.0.183.

Shockwave FlashShockwave Flash 27.0 r0 - Set to ALWAYS ACTIVATE

NPSWF64_27_0_0_183.dll

application/x-shockwave-flash (Adobe Flash movie: swf), application/futuresplash (FutureSplash movie: spl)

All browsers and Flash have been completely removed and reinstalled...and I still get :connecttion failed.

If you're confident it's something related to my setup....perhaps you can share some suggestions...I'm sure the affected would appriciate it a lot.

Thanks

seebeasy
Tutor
Tutor

I found this link after my recent post...wish I had seen it sooner...but it resinates with what's happening with me...and many other users.  He documented it with great detail....kudos...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Q-Plus/More-PC-quot-connection-failed-quot-shenanigans-when-vi...

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Sorry, got nothing for you. Does the app work on the same network?  Is it your home network or work (work networks frequently have issues)? As stated by JamesC in the link you posted, contact support and open a case.

Norrisk66
Tutor
Tutor

I will check this link out-

I as well have tried multiple browsers from different locations and am still having the same issue.

I am a bit confused as to the difference betweeen Adobe Flash and Shockwave?

Google Chrome seems to be the recommended platform, and I am having the same issue with Chrome.

My concern does seem to be isolated-

• However, initially when this problem started, I did a Google search starting with "ARLO PRO" and one of the five or so suggestions that came up was "ARLO PRO FLASH" which tells me that I am not the only one searching for Flash concerns with the ARLO PRO platform....
Norrisk66
Tutor
Tutor

I found a link in another thread about clicking on the Adobe Flash link-

The link first checks for the most current version of flash (which mine says is up to date)

Next, there is an image of a tree. The script says if the clouds in the picture are moving, Flash is operating correctly.

I tried this with all 3 of my browsers, at 2 different locations and the Flash self-diagnostic worked on all 3 browsers (INTERNET EXPLORER, MOZILLA FIREFOX, AND GOOGLE CHROME).

I am at odds at this point as to what to do.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you verified thaat each browser, or at least one of them, not only has Flash enabled but either enabled for all sites or, at a bare minimum, for arlo.netgear.com? I haven't tried Adobe's Flash test page without Flash enabled so don't know the results of that.

Norrisk66
Tutor
Tutor

Yes, I ensured that arlo.netgear.com was added to the trusted sites enablement

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Sorry, I got nuttin' else for ya.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Norrisk66,

Are you running any virus protection or security software on your PC (things like Norton, BitDefender etc.)? If the device works from your mobile device as you've indicated, something on your PC is blocking the connection.

You mention having the issue on multiple PCs, is there anything consistent that you can think of between those systems (running the same security software, popup blockers, etc.)? Are the PCs on different networks?

JamesC

Norrisk66
Tutor
Tutor

Has anyone found a resolution to this :connection failed problem?

help_with_
Initiate
Initiate

Just bought the Arlo Pro 2  wire free security cams (8/19/2018) and experienced the same problem ("connection failed") when attempting to view the camera live feed on firefox or google chrome.  My operating system is Linux Mint so this problem is apparently unrelated to the operating system. As suggested by others I tried creating a special port forwarding service on my netgear router (openning port 443 and 80 for the arlo) and still got "connection failed."  I tried enabling UPnP on the Netgear router and still got "connection failed."  Everyone has concluded that this "connection failed" when attempting to view the live feed appears to be solely an adoble flash (permissions?) problem.   Why Arlo Engineers don't move to html5 to solve the problem immediately for everyone is mystifying.

FIREFOX (NO GO):  With firefox it didn't matter what permissions I gave to "arlo.netgear.com" (in addition to flash) I always get "connection failed" when attempting to look at the live feed.   There was a suggestion to try the firefox addon "Noscript" to aid in the control of firefox permissions but I can't see how that would help.  Even under the latest version of firefox, permissions are easy to access and set.  

GOOGLE CHROME (WORKING):  I was able to get the live feed to work with google chrome after figuring out how to grant flash permission to arlo.netgear.com.  On a linux version of google chrome go to Settings-> Advanced-> Content Settings-> Flash.  Once there click on the "add" button and enter "https://arlo.netgear.com" (no quotes when adding).  After that viewing live arlo camera feeds began working.  Firefox is my preferred browser but when wishing to view the arlo live feed I'm stuck using Chrome.  Failing this I would have returned the Arlo Pro.

ARLO TECH SUPPORT TAKE NOTICE:  The average novice is not likely to go through these contortions to get a product to work.  I'm wondering what the return rate is at Best Buy, for example.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's also worth noting that Linux isn't a supported OS for Arlo although there's usually not a problem. In these cases, it's up to the user to determine the problem. Support may be able to help - or not. These forums are probably a better place to try.

help_with_
Initiate
Initiate

Nowhere in my posting did I solicit help from anyone.  The only, obvious point of my posting was to offer that a brand new, purchaser/user (8/19/2018) confirmed the long standing Arlo camera problem-----that is, viewing live feeds from a web browser on devices other than a smart phone can be problematic.  And that I confirmed that the fix for Google Chrome (reported by other users) was easy to make and worked for me.  I re-published that fix.  Finally, I brought up Linux to demonstrate that the Arlo problem is operating system agnostic and universal. 

My experience since 1997 is that OEM customer tech support is usually and practically useless.  They are typically novices themselves, in call centers, trained to read from packaged scripts (OEMs are getting what they pay for).  It's the users in forums (like this one) that usually solve the problem.  Today, the average novice user wastes little time with a partially functional product; they simply return it to the retail outlet for a refund.  

Guy12
Aspirant
Aspirant

In case it helps, here is my experience of this problem.  It's about finding out where the problem occurs in the route from the camera to your device.  I use a PC laptop to view the live feed.  No matter what browser I use and now matter how up to date the flash plug-ins are, I see the "connection failed" error when I log on using my workplace internet.  When I take the PC home, using my home network, I do not have this error.  So the error is caused by something in my workplace network.  The IT team tell me there are higher levels of security at work.  

Norrisk66
Tutor
Tutor

Regardless of the cause of the :connection failed message-

It seems to be the general consensus that there is a need to be able to view these live feeds while on a work network.

That is exactly why i bought this system-  !!!TO VIEW WHAT IS GOING ON AT MY HOME WHILE I AM AT WORK!!!!!

Why on earth would I need to view the cameras from my home??? So I can see what is going on outside instead of

walking outside to see it?

Once again, very frusterated at this point. I wish someone from ARLO would chime in on one of the 50 threads bouncing around on here and simply state that either:

A: we are all out of luck and can move on to a better platform or

B: there is something in the works

~OR~BETTER YET~

C: ARLO could at least acknowledge that there is a real problem and we are all not computer illiterate idiots.....

#ENDRANT

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Workplace networks have their restrictions. It's not your or Arlo's fault that these restrictions block access. If IT can't/won't fix it for you, you can always use a mobile device on cell service.