Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Pkles
Star
Star

I've unboxed it and installed it yesterday and I am having this exactly same issue with the live feed delay. Very very dissapointed as it is a very expensive security system.

65 REPLIES 65
d2randall
Aspirant
Aspirant

Arlo Pro System VMB4000r3 Firmware 1.14.0.2_2776 with 5 cameras.

Base Station is ethernet to a NETGEAR RAX80 WiFi router with 1GB internet service from Cox Communications. Bought a 25 ft ethernet CAT 7 double-shielded cable to place the Arlo Base Station far from the RAX80 router to avoid any RF interference. 

While my Samsung Galazy S9+ phone is connected to the RAX 80, I experience on average a 7 second lag on live feed; depending on time of day a 10 second "buffering" lag when viewing the library; and I see the same averages when monitoring the system from my desktop computer (Alienware X51).  When outside of my RAX80, I using Verizon 4G LTE and see the same averages with 4 bars. 

As can be seen from the above, I have high-end backbone systems for the Arlo Pro. These audio/video lags appear to be NETGEAR issues making the 2-way audio useless, as well as, the frustration of waiting on video feeds. 

Mark2019
Tutor
Tutor

Hello Arlo Moderator ShaynS or anyone else listening!!

You should get the Netgear CEO on this thread. You clearly have a %$$%^& problem that is being ignored and going to drive your revenue down.

I have a netgear router and was a happy customer, which is why I bought Arlo. The lag in audio and video is clearly 10+ seconds long and there is no excuse for that. This is NOT a problem in the customers' homes.

My 6 cameras are going back to Costco this week if you continue asking stupid questions and giving stupid advice that has clearly not been working for MONTHS!!!

Pokiemom
Apprentice
Apprentice

NEVER get real time notifications. By the time I get a notification, the person is long gone. Being a senior on a fixed income, I am very disappointed in this. In addition, I cannot download the new app, and someone had suggested to remove the legacy app first from my android phone, which I did, and now I have NOTHING. This is ridiculous!

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Pokiemom

Were you able to locate the new Arlo app?

Pokiemom
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yes, thanks. I went to the Google Play store and downloaded.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Pokiemom

Great! please let me know if you have any further questions. 

TomKa
Aspirant
Aspirant

The amount  of complaints about the live view lag across all of the Arlo carmera models is staggering.

Such an expensive system and reputable company has a lag while much cheaper brands (YI, Wyze) don't.

It is time to get our money back.

Justin007
Aspirant
Aspirant

@ShayneS ,

What is being done to resolve this problem that so many people are experiancing?

Justin

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Mark2019    @Justin007

Which version of the Arlo mobile app are you using? 

Also, which Device/Phone/Model/OS Version are you experiencing this with?

Justin007
Aspirant
Aspirant

@ShayneS 

Mobile app version is 2.8.0_25870.

I've always (over a year now) experience 12+ second Live View delay on both Android mobile app (Pixel 2 XL, Android 10) and MyArlo web interface (which is sadly still using flash btw).

Justin

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Justin007

Is this occurring over wifi & cellular data?

Mark2019
Tutor
Tutor

And the meaningless questions from ShayneS will continue...

Reboot, what version of software do you have, upgrade the software, make the wifi signal stronger, cellular or data, etc etc...

The issue is on the server side Shayne. The audio from the mobile app to camera has negligible lag. The audio/video from camera to app takes forever (cannot use it for 2 way conversation). Engineering needs to measure the lag on the server end - from the time the audio is received from the camera, to the time the audio is transmitted to the app. That is the issue. They will need to fix it. Encoding, storing and transmitting from ther servers is taking too long.

Meanwhile, I went to Costco and bought the ring system. It is not perfect, but works significantly better. Allows acceptable 2 way audio communication. Better enough to justify the yearly subscription. I was really hoping Arlo would work.

Over and out.

Justin007
Aspirant
Aspirant

@Mark2019 - Yep, same questions continue in these forums as well as from support.

@ShayneS - Yes, both cellular and wired/wireless home network. It's pretty clear what the problem is. I can't belive nothing has been done about this yet.

I have the Nest Hello for doorbell and have absolutly no issues with lag and video quality is far superior. I have a friend with two of the new Nest Cam IQ Outdoor cams and the quality and performance is just amazing. Makes me so sad I invested in the Arlo system.

jeffucsb
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the same connectivity and lag problems as everyone else. Using Pro 2 cameras with VMB3500r4 base from Costco.  Using app V 2.9.2_25930. I have a 1GB up and down connection so that is not the issue.  The cameras are only 20-30 feet with a good signal so that also is not the problem.  Here are my issues:

- Takes 20 seconds to connect to cameras

- lag of anywhere from 10-30 seconds when finally connects.  This makes it impossible to communicate or watch live video.

- alerts are super delayed (5-10 minutes) this doesn't help when finally connect to see nothing in my front yard since they are gone.

- can't view on my google home hub.  It just says "Not responding".  My google home is connected to the Arlo app and that all appears to be correct but no video will show up.  I want to be able to get alerts and show video on the screen.

This is all super unacceptable.  Thank god for Costco's return policy.  Give it another couple of weeks and if nothing improves....time to take back.

jeflea1989
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yeah so last week I got the pro system, 3 cameras, camera base, two lights, and a light bridge. Lights and response in apps seem to have zero issues. The cameras though are unbearably slow.  10+ seconds just to connect to a "live feed" and the feed is always delayed avg of 10+ seconds. Best lag I have gotten was about 5 seconds, and that was at random. All firmware is updated, restarts have been done to every device, including my modem and router. Any ports needed are opened. I have gigabit up/down internet. I also have two funlux cameras, two indoor nest cameras, and a ring doorbell. NONE of my other cameras have any issues with lag. What the heck is going on here arlo? Anyone find any kind of answers? If not I am sending this POS back.

mamarcac
Apprentice
Apprentice

Arlo has awesome hardware, but crippling software and firmware. Your experience is the same as the rest of us.

Up to you if you want to play the game we're all in of "maybe some day Arlo will _finally_ release a good firmware" or not. I bought mine back during the Netgear days and it was a darned good system. They've since ruined it unfortunately.