Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Pkles
Star
Star

I've unboxed it and installed it yesterday and I am having this exactly same issue with the live feed delay. Very very dissapointed as it is a very expensive security system.

65 REPLIES 65
LittleMagic
Aspirant
Aspirant
I consistently get at least a 10–20sec lag when trying to live stream from the Arlo app to my cameras. No difference if, I’m only a few feet or right up close to the camera. I have a google home hub and several amazon fire sticks., tablets, and a few other devices on my network.
Justin007
Aspirant
Aspirant

@ShayneS ,

Any magic solutions to suggest to the multiple users reporting this issue?

Did you ask about Alexa/Google Home because their is a known issue?

Are you prevy to anything being done to address this from Arlo's side?

Thanks,

Justin

arloJo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Would adding a local backup storage drive make it faster?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No, it simply records what's being sent to the server and has no other purpose.

MKPaul
Aspirant
Aspirant

@jguerdat I’m also having the lag issue to my live feed. It’s around 15 seconds. Unboxed yesterday and new firmware downloaded for basestation and each of 3 cameras. App to speaker lag time non existent. Has anyone found a solution to this. Massively disappointed if ‘live’ feed is this slow.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @MKPaul

Have you tried to reboot your base station & test again?

LittleMagic
Aspirant
Aspirant
@ShayneS
A number of us, myself included, have tried rebooting, updating firmware, going thru the set-up process a Nth time, and more. There’s more going on here. The Ring doorbell I setup as a control to see if it was my network setup has negligible lag (1-2secs at most) for the live feed. Yet the Arlo camera right next to it is consistently much slower in displaying a live image.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @LittleMagic

Have you tried contacting customer support regarding this issue? I have attached the link here for you - Arlo Tech Support

JP3251
Aspirant
Aspirant
It’s just the product. I also have Reolink and there’s no lag but with Arlo there is.
JP3251
Aspirant
Aspirant
This isn’t true. It’s just the product. I also have Reolink and there’s no lag but with Arlo there is.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Arlo is cloud-based - is Reolink?

JP3251
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes. The one I have for Reolink I don’t even have local storage
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

How do you access the camera stream? Via a cloud interface or IP address for the camera (IP camera)?

JP3251
Aspirant
Aspirant
Pkles
Star
Star
It's been 9 entire months yet without a firmware fix for the live video feed delay problem. After checking upload speeds, ping responses, rebooting every camera, Base station, ensuring having good reception signal on each of my devices, and reading lots of complaints about this same problem on many other posts, I would like to know if there is any firmware release scheduled for anytime soon or if I should look for other security solutions on the market. I would much appreciate not being bothered with the same questions that assume the problem is on my side. Thanks.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Pkles

Does this occur on WIFI & Mobile Data?

Pkles
Star
Star
Yes, in both.
zawaprz
Aspirant
Aspirant
Mine has 16 seconds delay, i.e. I watch live via phone... as a test Rising quickly my arm waiting and putting it down and then counting that event watching live on my phone and see 16 seconds...downed 55mbps/4.5Mbps internet
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @zawaprz

Have you tried contacting customer support regarding this issue? I have attached the link here for you - Arlo Tech Support

Pkles
Star
Star
Customer support will tell you to buy the Arlo Ultra in order to get a delay of 1 to 3 seconds. That's what they told me. What a Shame!! I told them that, that answer would be OK if they were sending me a replacement for free.

Noone was having this delay issue before a firmware update done last year. They just spoiled the product in order for you to buy a new one.

They told me that a delay of 5 seconds should be "normal" for the Pro version. Just imagine having a conversation with a 5 seconds delay! Come on!

I'm experiencing between 8 and 20 seconds delay with a 60/10 Mbps connection and good wireless link strength.

I was considering extending my security system with more Arlo cameras but will absolutely not.

My best advice is to stay away from Arlo

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Pkles

What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far? I do not want to suggest anything you may have previously performed.

Pkles
Star
Star
@ShayneS

Taking batteries out from cameras to reset them, resyncing with base, checking signal strength, checking Internet speed and ping times, etc.

Please, just have a look at hundreds of messages already posted by many many users on this issue, what they did, based on customer support suggestions and which are the results.

It is really hard for me to think Arlo is not completely aware of the lag problem.

mamarcac
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Pkles wrote:
@ShayneS

Taking batteries out from cameras to reset them, resyncing with base, checking signal strength, checking Internet speed and ping times, etc.

Please, just have a look at hundreds of messages already posted by many many users on this issue, what they did, based on customer support suggestions and which are the results.

It is really hard for me to think Arlo is not completely aware of the lag problem.

Stall tactics. They're counting on people getting tired/exhuasted and giving up and buying Arlo Ultras. They _definitely_ know of the issues, spread over all of the forums here.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @mamarcac

Are you experiencing any live feed lag?

mamarcac
Apprentice
Apprentice

@ShayneS wrote:

Hi @mamarcac

Are you experiencing any live feed lag?

Yes. The live feed is 10-15 seconds lagging. Trying to use the 2-way audio feature is hopeless. But I'm more concerned with the awful pixelated video quality since the May update. That is much more important to fix.