Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
Bel1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

I have a Arlo Q when I first set it up the screen would flicker when watching the live stream this was fixed by going in to the setting and adjustment the Hz (changed to 50Hz to fix the issue).

Now I have recently added the new Base and Arlo Pro wire-free camara and I am expereincing the flicker problem again on the new camara(s), however, I am unable to find any setting or way to adjust the Hz and stop the flicker on the Pro Camara.

Please, can someone help ?

Thank you

8 REPLIES 8
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

In SETTINGS, under the BASE settings, there is a flicker adjustment

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Bel1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you. I found it.

For some reason it's not stopping the live stream flicker? 

Is there anything else I can try to stop it?

Thank you very much

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Bel1,

Could you provide an example of what you're experiencing?

JamesC

Dmmack
Apprentice
Apprentice

James, can you comment on why the Flicker adjustment might have an effect on digital glitches? 

I've had what can be described as glitches on my two Arlo Q+ cameras the entire time I've used them, set to Auto Flicker adjustment. These freezes in the video and ghosting or pixelation glitches have never been resolved no matter how strong the signal, on POE or WiFi, etc.  I just changed both cameras to 50hz, and it seems to have stopped the pixelation glitches. There are still frozen frames (where the video literally freezes, but the audio continues). Is there any validity to the Flicker rate (1080i50 vs 1080i60 I'm assuming is what's being applied in these settings) affecting such glitches? 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Dmmack,

I'm not sure that this should have any impact on the issue you are describing, but if you're seeing improvement after changing this setting, try sticking with it to see if stays that way. I'll see what I can find out.

Generally, the symptoms you describe point to interference or signal strength issues (not the case given you've tried on PoE). If you continue to experience issues, you might try contacting Arlo Support for further investigation.

JamesC

Dmmack
Apprentice
Apprentice

JamesC wrote:

Dmmack,

I'm not sure that this should have any impact on the issue you are describing, but if you're seeing improvement after changing this setting, try sticking with it to see if stays that way. I'll see what I can find out.

Generally, the symptoms you describe point to interference or signal strength issues (not the case given you've tried on PoE). If you continue to experience issues, you might try contacting Arlo Support for further investigation.

JamesC

Thanks, James. I've had a few support tickets (some beginning a year ago and ending earlier this spring) that explored this in depth, with the only resolution being a refund. My signal (300mbps+ UP/30mbps+ DL) coming from a Netgear Nighthawk R8000 is always at 3/full bars, tested extensively. My cameras are literally in the line of sight of the router and less than 15 ft away. These problems have existed in two different homes. How can interference and signal strength be the issue? It seems the cameras aren't designed to handle typical consumer environments, thus no one's setup will ever be sufficient to deliver the performance Arlo claims. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That's a rather broad statement:

It seems the cameras aren't designed to handle typical consumer environments

It works fine in most environments. There will always be corner cases where it won't. Since you've apparently tried multiple locations, it would seem that something about the base is at issue. While some folks have had success in moving the base further away from their router, mine is almost in direct contact with my Netgear 8000P.

I would open a case with support since it would seem to be an issue with the base, since it affects multiple cameras.

Dmmack
Apprentice
Apprentice

jguerdat wrote:

That's a rather broad statement:

It seems the cameras aren't designed to handle typical consumer environments

It works fine in most environments. There will always be corner cases where it won't. Since you've apparently tried multiple locations, it would seem that something about the base is at issue. While some folks have had success in moving the base further away from their router, mine is almost in direct contact with my Netgear 8000P.

I would open a case with support since it would seem to be an issue with the base, since it affects multiple cameras.

This is regarding an Arlo Q Plus, so there is no base station. 

Yes, it is a broad statement because there are broad evidence and complaints about the same issues, and many issues that denote issues with typical environments. 

I'll open another ticket, as that is a good suggestion to help the potential ticking sound that may be a base station problem, but that won't help the interference issues with the Arlo Q cameras.