Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
ronlkimba11
Aspirant
Aspirant

Setup my first camera and base station.  Everything seemed to work fine.  Latest firmware.  Base station is no more than 30 feet as the crow flies mounted above my garage door on a stucco house.  Like I said seemed to work fine.  I changed the device name in the iPhone app and now I can't seem to get Live View to work anymore.  I've removed the device from my account, resynced multiple times, pulled the battery a couple of times, tried from Chrome and the iPhone and still can't get Live View to work.  When I sync it works for a little while and when I think all is well I mount it outside and nothing.  Funny thing is I was getting Audio here and there but nothing on video.  Seems that motion detection works but it doesn't look like videos are uploading.  

Any help would be appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6
Streak2
Master Master
Master

Have you tried power cycling the base?

If this does not work then try resetting the base

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Knowledge-Base/How-can-I-reset-my-Arlo-base-station-to-the-def...

ronlkimba11
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.  I did cycle the base a couple of times.  I even reset to factory defaults.  After a lot more troubleshooting it looks like a WiFi issue.  I have the camera mounted to the outside of my garage and it seems there is some weirdness with the Wifi.  Works fine outside to the driveway but drops video when I mount it over the garage door.  Interference perhaps.  Not sure.  Checked the signal strength with my phone and got plenty of bars.  Switched my WiFi 2.4 to channel 1 then 6.  Still no video.  I'm going to try this weekend putting another WiFi router inside my garage to see if that makes a difference.  There are a lot of houses around me with a LOT of wifi signals.  Not sure if that will solve the problem but at least it's a direction for troubleshooting.

Again, thanks for the reply.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Stucco may have a wire mesh support that can affect the connection between the camera and base. What happens if you move the camera to a closer location, perhaps just indoors?

ronlkimba11
Aspirant
Aspirant

Absolutely has mesh as you describe.  I hadn't thought of that.  As far as camera location I can move it down to the driveway (same distance even further out away from the house) and it works just fine.  If these things won't work through stucco I think I'll have to scrap the idea of Wifi cameras.  I think I mentioned I'm thinking about putting a WiFi router in the garage which will put total distance around 15 feet.  I only bought one camera to see whether it was worth further investment.  I was thinking about 3-4 outdoor cameras but if I have to generate a WiFi signal within 1--15 feet of the camera I might need to think about wired cameras.

Thanks

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Base location may be the key, by having it as close as possible to, say, the front wall. Also, line of sight through a window may help as well as putt the base in the garage. Having a router in the garage won't help unless it's used to reposition the base, in which case a WiFi extender may be useful.
ronlkimba11
Aspirant
Aspirant

Great point.  Since I'm putting the router in the garage I might as well stick the base station out there with it.  I also realized I have this architectural "feature" over my garage door that I installed the mount in.  It serves no purpose except for esthetics.  Essentially it's a recessed "box" for lack of a better term.  I installed the mount in the box so I think I essentially put it in a small Faraday cage.  🙂  I'm going to try the router/base change this weekend but I think I'll try moving it out of the box as well to see if that makes a difference too.

Many thanks for all the advice.