Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Changing Router Arlo Pro Base

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Rsdokc
Aspirant
Aspirant
I purchased a new Netgear router. And currently have the Arlo pro base unit attached to my existing router with four cameras. Any ideas what I might need to do if I install the new router and connect my Arlo base unit ?
If anyone has any ideas on what steps I would need to take to do this transition I would appreciate it.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
The Arlo system should automatically connect to the Internet when the router is installed. The base only requires Internet access through Ethernet so unless you modify the default security settings in the new router there should be no issue.

I would power off the modem and base when you install the router (the modem is an absolute requirement). When the router is in place, turn on the modem, let it fully boot then turn on the router. It may be best to set up the router as you need before turning​on the base since the router may need to reboot a few times during your configuration. When the router is stable, turn on the base and monitor the LEDs to verify you get 3 green ones.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
The Arlo system should automatically connect to the Internet when the router is installed. The base only requires Internet access through Ethernet so unless you modify the default security settings in the new router there should be no issue.

I would power off the modem and base when you install the router (the modem is an absolute requirement). When the router is in place, turn on the modem, let it fully boot then turn on the router. It may be best to set up the router as you need before turning​on the base since the router may need to reboot a few times during your configuration. When the router is stable, turn on the base and monitor the LEDs to verify you get 3 green ones.
Rsdokc
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks for your response. I was just hoping to avoid​ bringing all my cameras inside and doing the Arlo install over. I thought it would work this way and will give it a try this evening. Thanks again
Rsdokc
Aspirant
Aspirant
Also since it sounds like you know your stuff...I was wondering if the Arlo base unit is really what is handling the wifi signal to the cameras? I think it is since I see it as a wifi access point and don't see the cameras on my wifi network as active devices.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Yes, the base is a limited, locked down router that only the cameras will connect to. We have no access.