Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
LynnWorrell
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello, I am a new customer of Arlo products, just purchased Arlo Pro from Costco (Albuquerque NM). Spent a frustrating weekend doing the installation process until I switched to Microsoft Edge rather than Chrome or Android to install the base. It and one camera works as designed and expected. The other 2 cameras do not. I can view the scene live and see vehicles driving past, but the motion is not detected or recorded on 2 of the cameras. Here is what I have already done in attempt to solve the problem.

1. Downloaded and read the 60+ page user manual. Found nothing helpful. Searched through dozens of questions in community support and tried what seemed to work for others.

2. Resynced the cameras, including removing and reseating the batteries. No difference in result.

3. Created and selected custom modes for each individual camera and switched from default armed mode to the custom mode. No difference in results

4. Yes, motion detection sensitivity is at 100%. Yes, the device instruction mode says to record upon motion detected.

Nothing seems to work. The camera that works properly even detects motion up to a block away in the intersection. The 2 cameras that are not detecting motion do not pick up anything. When I stand on the corner, I should be detected by 2 of the 3 cameras, but I am not. It is as if they have been instructed to ignore all moving objects except blowing leaves and branches. You can see those moving in the live video. If I record manually by tapping the record icon, it does record and sends it to the cloud.

Is the problem defective motion detectors in the 2 cameras? If not, what else can I do. Very frustrated trying to solve this on my own and am asking for help as a last resort. Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You may want to swap at the store but first reset the system and then start fresh. Remove all devices from Settings, My Devices. Hold the reset button until the LEDs flash amber. Reinsert eh batteries in the cameras to reset them. Use the Add Device selection in the Devices tab to claim the base. Sync the cameras. Update firmware as you go if prompted.

BradleyGZ
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same issue for me. Brand new 2 camera system. One camera detects motion just fine. The other camera never detects motion, EVER! Even trying the motion detection utility, it never flashes the yellow led. Even with me 5 feet from the camera, it never detects any motion.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

As a reminder just in case... the IR that detects motion maxs out at 25 ft for people... cars can be seen farther away due to IR reflection.

Try to cover only the area where people are going to be detected

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
BradleyGZ
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you for that info as it will help with future placement but that is not my issue now. I've got the camera pointed at a place that is about 20 ft away and even with me pulling into the driveway with a big SUV. It never detects motion. Also, I took the camera down and placed it on a table and was walking right in front of it and still no motion detection.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Is the motion indicator for the camera in the Devices tab black or gray? Gray means it's disarmed. Check you modes to verify that it's actually armed. If so, remove the camera from Settings, My Devices and resync.

LynnWorrell
Aspirant
Aspirant
Creating 2 replies since it looks like I can only attach one file per post.

1 of 2

Ok, I spent the day retrieving cameras from their mounts, removed and reinstalled the base and synced the cameras.  I have 2 of the 3 cameras detecting motion now.  The 3rd camera is still not detecting motion.  It is currently raining so Im inside doing testing.  I put a fresh battery in the camera and removed and resynced it several times with no change.  I put all 3 cameras on a shelf and walked by several times.  The 2 cameras (B snd C) work as expected.   The 3rd, labeled A-Lynn's frnt yd still doesn't detect motion.  I have provided screen shots of various pages specific to this camera so you can see what I am seeing.  Am I missing something?

LynnWorrell
Aspirant
Aspirant
2 of 2

How do I go about getting a replacement for this one defective camera?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
BradleyGZ
Aspirant
Aspirant
I removed the device and resync it back to the base. That has fixed the motion detection for the one camera. Now I just need to tweak the sensitivity settings for it. I woke up to 164 motion alerts this morning. Haha. Thanks
Vipera
Aspirant
Aspirant

While I was solving problem with geofencing tech support asked me to reset the base station. After reseting base station and adding back my three cameras I have found that motion detection doesn't work on one of the cameras. And I cannot start it working. I made a reset on 03/11/19 and since that time motion detection doesn't work on one camera where it worked just fine before. Could it be that there was a firmware update for the base station which causing the problem?