Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 32 Replies
  • 22 Likes
  • 14 In Conversation
nferno
Initiate
Initiate

I have never been more disappointed in a home secuirty product in my entire life!  After a firmware update a few months back my Arlo Pro cameras have not been functioning properly.

List of the issues:

• I get notifications and more often than not my recordings are not uploaded to the cloud.
  • Live video is not working, I get scrambled video 90% of the time
  • The few recordings that are uploaded have broken audio that comes and goes

I'm a software developer and have tried numerous solutions posted here, having to dismount the cameras which requires a ladder and yes they all have excellent connection and are not too far from base. I would not recommend these cameras to anyone.

I'm the 29th person in queue on a support call as I type this and I'm asking for my money back or a replacement set of cameras that work properly.  Wish me luck!

32 REPLIES 32
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

nferno,

The symptoms you describe sound very much like poor signal strength/interference between the base station and the cameras. To further isolate, try moving one of the cameras that's having the issue close to the base station (within a few feet, just to test) and see if you still experience the same behavior.

You could also try elevating/moving your base station to improve the signal strength to the cameras.

JamesC

js69
Initiate
Initiate

Not sure when the update was, but I have had my Arlo for a year and just in the last couple weeks the cameras wont record up to 2 min like I saved, more like .27 sec and sometimes it wont even record and I live in a circle so all cameras lined up should record in order. I have a 2 year replacement plan but they said I have to take it in. Not sure how long now my house will be unprotected but kind of unhappy that I've only had a year. 😞

Redmoonstar
Luminary
Luminary

My camera's stopped recording to set times with the new upgrade in May, they are still not recording to set times with this new firmware and now they go offline for hours. I removed all the cameras and the base station from my devices, did a hard reset of the base and then none of the cameras would sync to the base station. I spent any hour on live chat with support and nothing they suggested worked son now I am waiting for confirmation on my RMA for a new base station (my second one in a month) there are others with the same issue of the recording times not working since the May update so contact support so they realize it's a firmware problem NOT a user problem. 

nferno
Initiate
Initiate

James,

i appreicate the the response and the helpful suggestion but my cameras were working great before the firmware update and the base and the cameras are in the same location as before, neither have been moved and are within acceptable range of the base station.

When I changed the batteries a firmware update was forced and have had the problems since.

After trying several suggestions here and spending 2 hours on the phone with support I’m ready to return the product for a refund but in order to achieve that I must get the ladder out and climb up and retrieve the cameras to spend another 2hours+ to troubleshoot the problem before they will refund.

Never would I recommend these cameras for a security solution. 

Timbo123
Guide
Guide

It really is one of the worst systems out there.

Mine worked fine for over a month. now all of a sudden the camera's dont sync with the homestation anymore..

First they only worked placed within 10 cm of the home station now they dont even sync anymore.

What a waste of money and I would never recommend them to anyone!

Lack of updates on firmware and improvemetns/fixes are also a bad sign

Redmoonstar
Luminary
Luminary

@Timbo123 I am having the same problem since June firmware upgrade. I have spent an hour on live chat with support and they sent me a new base unit. I have tried to set up the new base unit today, managed to sync  3 out of 5 camera's and if then went offline and has been offline for 2 hours. I am about to do another live chat and ask for a refund. Complain to support so they realize it's a FIRMWARE problem. Everyone with this issue needs to complain and complain about the motion detection not working @ 100%. I asked for my firmware to be downgraded to the previous one before the May update that BROKE everything and was told they are deleted once the new formware is upgraded. I am now looking at the Lorex system or Swann, not sure if I am able to access Lorex in Australia.

Timbo123
Guide
Guide

Thanks,

I already complained, was in the chat for 2 hours.

They promised to replace the base station, never heard from them after that chat.

Would love to throw it all in the bin..

ARLO get your ..... together and release a FW update that fixes this issue!!!

Redmoonstar
Luminary
Luminary

I am on chat now! Still no sync! I only purchased this in November so should be able to get a refund.

PM JamesC I hadn't heard regarding my RMA once I submitted it and contacted JamesC, got the replacement.

Redmoonstar
Luminary
Luminary

So in the middle of a chat and doing the steps the agent has told me and they cancel my chat " your chat has been cancelled because there are no agents available" THIS IS RIDICULOUS ARLO FIX YOUR BLOODY FIRMWARE!!!

Redmoonstar
Luminary
Luminary

So for the last week my camera's go offline from 6.00 pm to around 1130pm Australian time. Has anyone else noticed a specific time their camera's go offline? My base is connected to the internet at all times I have 2 green lights on base but the camera light is out. It doesn't matter how many times I reboot the base the camera's stay offline until 1130.I have done a reset twice in this time frame due to camera's being offline ( Sunday was with replacement base unit) and the camera's will not sync to base during this time frame while offline. I have spent 2 hours ( 2 different live chats) with support and they are unable to help, last chat they cancelled my chat while I was doing what the support person told me to do.Nothing has changed in my home, no new wireless devices, internet sppeds are the same as when I purchased this system in November. It was working fine until May, now motion detection set to 100% is very hit and miss, more miss than hit and misses lots of activity, recording times that are set maybe work 30% of the time the rest they record for 2 - 24 secs instead of 55 - 130 secs and now offline for hours in the evening. Have been looking at other systems but this is the only system that has the features I'm after (unfortunatey) so I guess I'll just have to keep looking!

stupac2
Tutor
Tutor

I'm having the same issues. Before the mid-June firmware update my Pro 2's were working great. But after it they started having issues with recording. They'd run fine for 12-36 hours but then silently stop registering any motion and therefore recording. Switching modes would start the recording again, but then it invariably stops. The support has been beyond useless, it's actively wasting my time with solutions that are clearly nonsense, and surprise! None of them work. How can they push a firmware update that breaks the system so thoroughly? Do they event test these things? And then once it's utterly obvious that that's the problem to not admit it at all is criminal. This is completely absurd. They need to fix this yesterday.

Eviledna39
Tutor
Tutor

Same problem here, had my cameras since September last year and they worked great.  Since the firmware update in June ive had nothing but problems.  Wish i had never updated the cameras.  They go offline and dont record motion unless i go into each camer to switch the motion off & on again to kick them into action.  Once i have done this the cameras are ok for another 24hrs recording motion as normal.  After 24 hrs it stops again until i have to go into the motion settings to do the same.  Its like if forgets the settings after a certain amount of time.  They have become very unreliable and defintly an expensive ornament hanging above my front door!

Firemware update needed to fix these bugs...

stupac2
Tutor
Tutor

Has anyone successfully fixed this issue? I've found that power cycling the base station helps a bit, in that gives me more time between failures than I had been getting, but it's still only 2-3 days. A service rep suggested doing a full reset on the base station, which I'll try, but at this point I'm skeptical that anything but a firmware update will help.

Greg0101
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Guys

Im in the same boat, everything had been working up untill before we went on holiday on the 28th June, batteries were charged.  Found that within the week number of cameras were getting low battery.   Checked thru the app, and the cameras would go offline.

Spent the passt week, like everyone else, powering down the base station, factory resetting base station,pulling cameras batteries out, resyncing cameras one by one (I have five), checking that they are active and record.  Put them back into their place, and recheck.  They will work a little or they go offline.

All this since end of June, which lines up with the last base station firmware.

What I'm experiencing 

- When in App, the image I see from the camera is the latest recording, but as soon as I click on live, the it will sit there and spinningand no live feed, but strangely the static image would be updated

- Camera will go off line, and then remaining cameras will go offline.

- Camera might record movement and recording, but then will go offline

- IR flick on/off on camera that should be active, and camera offline 

- Camera which have typically been active during the day - no longer registering any movement and recordings

Will chase with support.

ralfyguy1
Luminary
Luminary

FW 1.10.0.8_22190 is out now. Any info on the changes in this release?

Timbo123
Guide
Guide
That is the old one
ralfyguy1
Luminary
Luminary

@Timbo123 wrote:
That is the old one

So they rolled it back? The green lights were blinking and then there was a reboot and the on the screen it said Firmware Update in Progress.

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

The old one, June 21st, 2018 is: 1.10.0.7_21310

The new one just released today is: 1.10.0.8_22190

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Firmware-Release-Notes/Release-Notes-Arlo-Pro-Base-station-Arlo-Wir...

stupac2
Tutor
Tutor

@pc2k17 wrote:

The old one, June 21st, 2018 is: 1.10.0.7_21310

The new one just released today is: 1.10.0.8_22190

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Firmware-Release-Notes/Release-Notes-Arlo-Pro-Base-station-Arlo-Wir...

My base station has apparently updated, hopefully this solves the problem.

Sure would be nice if there was any communication at all from Netgear about this...

Greg0101
Aspirant
Aspirant
Guys

Checked the firmware update had gone thru and yes the camera triggered this morning when I walked out the door. That was a win I thought, BUT

checking the camera from the app at work I was able to check live mode, and once again the cameras have all gone offline. After few minutes the last image appears on camera and try to use live mode again, getting message another message ‘Streaming service reporting device not streaming..” if I cancel out of the dark screen with message I have an updated image from the camera. I then get another message “device unable to to connect”. Still not usable as it was

Was hoping the firmware would fix ithe issue. No joy on my side as the whole system is not behaving like it was back inJune.
Greg0101
Aspirant
Aspirant
Also finding when press live, getting another message as well “Request timed out”. And then camera will cycle to “Device offline”.

All cameras are offline and then the message will disappear and you will have last update static image. But you can’t use live mode and the cameras don’t appear to be triggering.
Timbo123
Guide
Guide
The update didn’t fix a thing...
Its is Really really bad that Arlo doesn’t confirm this issue and does a callback, or confirms that is knows what the issue is and that a solution is on the way.. ZERO COMMUNICATION, what a JOKE!
Greg0101
Aspirant
Aspirant
Agree we have gone backwards.

I’m finding cameras are not triggering being completely offline and the.n when the come back the preview image is from a day again even though it triggered this morning. And previously the last triggered image would be displayed.
HelloHelloP
Guide
Guide

My basestation suddenly has started to go offline.... No problem ever before.... I restart the basestation, it works for a couple of minutes. Then offline again. See that I go new firmware, 1.10.0.8_22190. 

Fix this!