Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
tkat79
Guide
Guide

Setup:

1 camera, outside above garage, mounted under roof on fascia (out of direct sunlight).  Camera does have a black skin around it (authentic arlo skin).

Outdoor temps all this week have been 84F or less.  Today's high temp was 78F.  

Camera worked fine for 1 week.  Initially had camera plugged in via solar panel for first 6 days, then decided to plug in outdoor power adapter (authentic netgear arlo) into the camera today.  Not even 1 hour later I get a message saying that "the camera needs to cool down before it can be used".  It's been 7 hours, still no camera feed.  

Within the last few days, it may have recorded about 20-30, 30 second segments.  No different today.  I do not think weather is the culprit.  I have other locations that have multiple cameras that were fine althroughout the dog days of summer, 0 issues with heat.

Any advise on how to get past this message and prevent this from happening again would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
tkat79
Guide
Guide

Had to remove the camera from the station and re-add it. 

Been working fine ever since, with the skin on.  I don't know what actually caused the issue to happen.  Thinking it was just a bad initial connection between the power adapter and the camera.  

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Streak2
Master Master
Master

Try process of elimination.

I would start by removing the black skin. High ambient temp., coupled with the heat of charging and the black skin could be a bit of a cumulative effect.

tkat79
Guide
Guide

I appreciate your input and will try exactly what you suggested.  

My other cameras do not have skins on them, so if the skin ends up being the issue here, then I'm at a loss for why they offer them.

How do you suggest I get passed this message however?  Remove the camera and re-sync it?  

I'll keep you posted. 

Streak2
Master Master
Master
When my Arlo Q overheated it came back online once it cooled down.
I would imagine the pro would behave the same.
tkat79
Guide
Guide

That's what I thought too, I'm actually giving them until tomorrow morning. It's now been 8 hours since that message appeared, one would think cool down might last a few minutes or maybe an hour.

tkat79
Guide
Guide

Why/how did your Q overheat?  Can you use those outside?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

tkat79,

Are you still experiencing this issue? Did the camera cool down after a period of time?

JamesC

tkat79
Guide
Guide

Had to remove the camera from the station and re-add it. 

Been working fine ever since, with the skin on.  I don't know what actually caused the issue to happen.  Thinking it was just a bad initial connection between the power adapter and the camera.