Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Recording duration is too limited

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
sessingø
Initiate
Initiate
Hi.

Thanks for a great product.

I think the recording length when motion is activated is way too strict. I often get multiple videos when a subjects walk out of the frame for a second or are standing still for too long when opening a door etc as arlo almost immediately stops the recording as soon as the camera no longer detects motion and at night the motion range is a couple of meters so the camera will stop recording while a person walks away from the cameras field of view.

I would love to see the option to manually adjust this "buffer" length or at least see it increased a little.

What are your experiences and do you guys have a workaround? Maybe setting a fixed recording time will solve the problem, but then you'll end up with unnecessary battery waste and a bunch of long videos if a bird flies into the frame.

Arlo should go open source with its software or at least make people create plugins for the system. That will keep the product alive for much longer and all the talented people around the world could contribute with features and enhancements.

- Simon
3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

THis is already possible by editing your modes or even creating your own custom modes. There are FAQs here as well as tons of threads with the directions. Search and poking around are your friends.

Mode tab, select your base, edit the Armed mode to check it out. Create your own custom modes for complete control.

sessingø
Initiate
Initiate
Thanks for the reply, I know you can define custom rules, however you still only get two options for motion control; record until activity stops or record for fixed length - at least thats the settings I have when using the Android app.

I'm sorry if my explanation was bad - basically what I think would be useful was the option to define something like "start recording when activity is detectes (just like now)... finish recording x seconds after activity stops".

Arlos field of view is limited, so there might still be activity worth recording right after the motion stops.

Hope it makes sense.
T369
Star
Star

I understood and agree with you. This would be a nice feature to have.