Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
scooterstuff
Star
Star

Before winter I wanted to swap out the batteries in my Arlo 2 cameras. I bought a couple of extra batteries so I always have some charged on hand. I swapped out the battery and noticed the camera is periodically going offline. If I lightly wiggle the camera I could hear the battery moving around. Looks like the magnet on the inside is designed to keep the battery in place. The problem is it is not putting enough pressure on the battery to hold it in place to make good contact. I can lightly push on the door and the camera will come back on. I had to put a small piece of cardboard on the battery so it would make contact. My camera is only a couple of months old. This is not right. Is this a defect? I would think this would be covered under warranty. Please advise. 

14 REPLIES 14
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

if it happens with all the batteries , then yes, sounds like the camera... if with one battery, sound like the battery.

Either way, contact Netgear Support ( bottom of page ) for warranty ( which is a yr )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

In addition, make sure the battery clip at the bottom of the battery hole is engaged. The clip is part of the camera and should  hold the battery in place, making you release it to get the battery out.

scooterstuff
Star
Star

The clip is on but the battery is still loose.

Apprentice
Apprentice

IMO poor build quality. The cam is made in Vietnam. Making a pair of Nike shoes requires a different level of precision than making a cam. You will probably never see an airplane factory in the country ever.

scooterstuff
Star
Star

Netgear said it was a hardware problem and that they would exchange it (Good). Going through the RMA I have to pay to have it shipped to them (Bad Customer Service) Your product is defective why do I have to pay to return it to you. Not thrilled with this service. Love the camera and features. Had been recommending it to people, this will change my perception. Good customer service is and a good product are a must. Thumbs down Netgear.

brizzo
Star
Star

I have this same issue. I purchased the Arlo pro system with 2 cameras/batteries. I had the same problem with 1 camera always going off line. And like you, I could shake both cameras at the same time and 1 camera had more battery "rattle" noise. However , I wasn't sure if it was the battery or the camera causing the problem. So, I swapped the batteries. Low and behold the other camera had the issue. It definately was a quality control issue with the 1 battery. Probably a fraction of a millimeter too small. The small size kept the camera door from firmly pressing the battery into the contact pins on the camera. Like you, I used a small piece of cardboard between the back of the battery and the inside of the camera's battery door. (for those wondering, the cardboard was about the width of what you might find on a pack of cigarettes, for reference). I cut it into a rectange maybe 1x2 inches. Worked like a champ. But I agree, this is garbage for a VERY expensive camera system. Yes, it's easily fixed with a small piece of cardboard. But come on...   Unacceptable.  It also seems to only affect random batteries. Both of my batteries came out of one single arlo security system kit. But only 1 battery has had the issue. I was going to return it to Netgear for a warrantly replacement, but I don't want to go without a camera for several days while I wait for it in the mail. I'll just live with the cardboard inside my expensive HD security camera.

Apprentice
Apprentice

You should force them to send you the new cam first. IF necessary they could ask for a temp credit card authorization if they think you are a thief. What a terrible company. IMO dont let them jerk you around. just file a BBB complaint asking for a cam swap with them sending you a new one first.

brizzo
Star
Star
Seems to be a battery Q.A. issue. Not anything wrong with the cam. But yes. I see ur point.
orby06
Aspirant
Aspirant

So would you say what you experienced is a battery issue or a camera issue?

brizzo
Star
Star
Definitely a battery issue. If I move the battery to another camera, the problem goes with it.
NetBox
Apprentice
Apprentice
I have the exact same issue here with my Arlo Pro (2 camera) kit here in the UK. Just purchased in December 2017. Brand new system, cameras kept going offline. Both with rattling batteries inside.

Initially when I first put the batteries in one camera came online and synced perfect but the other had a flashing amber light and showed low battery. Took battery out and reinserted it and then it showed 100% and was fine. Then cameras started going offline at random and amber lights, low battery warnings and random blue flashing leds.

With the door shut if you tilt the camera backwards they go offline and then you get an amber flashing led. I noticed also they randomly start flashing blue like when they have just been powered on and make connection.

Problem solved with a little bit of bluetack put on the battery so when the case is shut it pushes the battery in a little more secure so it presses it firmly against the pins.

Pretty disgraceful really for such an expensive piece of kit but don't want to go through the pain and agro of returning it, but seriously shocked at the poor quality of these units.

Really not very good Netgear for such a high price tag!!

Also now if I ever decide to sell this system the 2nd hand value will be lowered because of this.

Just not sure if it's the batteries or the actual camera which is at fault as both mine have a problem, so I can't swap for a perfect fitting one.
scooterstuff
Star
Star

Not sure if it is the camera or the battery. I contacted Netgear and they replaced it with a new unit This one is fine.

NetBox
Apprentice
Apprentice
That's great, glad they sorted it out for you.

But.... It actually ended up costing you (the customer) money as you had to pay for the cost of returning it to them? (Or did they pay for it or refund you the postage cost back?)

Were you without the camera for some time or did they send you out a replacement before you sent the faulty one back?
scooterstuff
Star
Star
I negotiated with them and they covered all the cost