Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Luddy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Why since the latest app upgrades 2.6.x has the battery status always been showing 100%?  

Doesn't matter if using old 2.5.3 Android version, or new iPhone app or even the web browser, ALL cameras show 100% battery life when I know that is not correct.

P.S.  Bring back the entire status bar with WiFi, battery, motion etc to the phone apps....how ridiculous to only show the battery life in updated apps when it is low.  If you cvan show it when low, show all the icons ALL the time like before.

9 REPLIES 9
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

The battery icon in android 2.6.2 is now back on the main screen for each camera. After updating to 2.6.2, ig you don't have the icon, log out of the arlo app and log back in. Icon should now show. Hopefully that will fix your % levels as well.

Luddy
Apprentice
Apprentice

The battery status is NOT reporting correctly.  At this point I doon't care if it shows or not but on my Android it shows 100% and in the web app it shows 100% however it is NOT 100% on all cameras like it reports.  My Android still reports all icons because I didn't fall for the "user improvements" but I did on iPhone to test and understand on iPhone it will only show if the battery is low.

BRING BACK ALL THE STATUS ICONS  and fix why they dont report correctty.  I am not updating Android til this mess is resolved and restored (unless it no longer functions).

PS At least the security lights still report battery % correctly in web app.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

How are you determining that 100% isn't correct? If you charge the batteries in the external charger, they actually charge to a true 100% rather than the actual 80% when in-camera. That means when inserted into the camera, it takes a while before the meter starts falling (has to get to the 80% that the camera thinks is full).

Luddy
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'm fairly certain my cameras have reported % info above 80% before.  So are the lights reporting different than the cameras?  Right now my lights in the web app are reporting 90%, 90% and 94% .  All camera batteries report 100%.

The Android app (still back on 2.5.3) reports the security lights at the same percentages as the web app and all cameras at 100%.  With the iPhone app (2.6.1 since 2.6.2 not in store yet) cant even report the light battery status.

Nothing like being consistent.

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

Sorry, missed the part where you said it's 100% on the website too. If that's the case, first start with restarting the base and pull the batteries from each camera and reinsert. Hopefully that gets the battery reporting correctly.

Luddy
Apprentice
Apprentice

These systems are such a mess lately....one thing may get fixed but then they break 5 more.  I was happy with my systems prior to the latest updates.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@Luddy wrote:

I'm fairly certain my cameras have reported % info above 80% before.  So are the lights reporting different than the cameras?  Right now my lights in the web app are reporting 90%, 90% and 94% .  All camera batteries report 100%.

The camera will report 100% as long as the true battery level is actually at least 80% (confusing, I know). So if you charge in the external charger where the battery is truly 100% charged, it takes a while for the level to drop below a true 80% (or 100% as far as the camera is concerned).

The reason for the camera reporting 100% when the battery is actually only 80% is due to the need to allow for continuous charging without damaging the battery. Li-ion batteries like to stay between 40-80% for best life. My wife had an old phone she was using as a clock so kept it plugged in all the time. Over time, the battery swelled to the point that the cover was greatly displaced and seemed ready to burst. Arlo took that sort of issue and designed around it to prevent problems.

Luddy
Apprentice
Apprentice

@jguerdat

So again, the security lights report differently than cameras?  Those report 90%, 94% etc.  They use the same battery so why the difference?

Thanks.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I don't recall that the lights report differently ( I think I remember changing batteries and seeing 100% for a long time). Remember that 100% simply means the the batteries have at least an 80% true charge.