Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
jillybeanbrooks
Tutor
Tutor

We went on vacation in June and then stuff happened that caused us to be very busy, so we didn't get a chance to recharge our batteries until this week (thankfully nothing bad has happened at our home since then). I took both camera's down and charged the battery in both for about 5 hours using the charger that came with them. Never could get the camera to come on. I then took the battery out and put it back in - tried again. Unsuccessful. I took the battery out while the camera was plugged in and put it back in then charged again, unsuccessful. I bought these camera's in October of last year. I hate to spend money on a replacement battery only to find out that the battery is not actually the issue. But, 8 months on battery life seems a bit absurd. Does anyone have a suggestion on what may fix this issue besides trying a new battery?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jillybeanbrooks
Tutor
Tutor
Was a little nervous about calling support and waiting forever. Got right in. Took about 5 minutes to determine it was the power block. I have one same voltage, tested with the cable, it worked. Will wait on my replacement block. Yay. Thanks yall..

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Ws6fastchick
Initiate
Initiate

I had the same issue last year and it ended up being the camera itself. Netgearhadto replace it. Had the same thing happen again tonight. Had a full charge on the camera then I went to change the battery from another camera into this one to charge it and nothing... Camera stopped working and now the fully charged battery will not even power it on. I recommend starting a claim with Netgear to get the device replaced. I am tomorrow for mine. Good luck!!!

jillybeanbrooks
Tutor
Tutor

Seems odd that both my cameras and their batteries had this issue though.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Jbean .....

try this, if battery gets to low, you have to push it a bit!

If your Arlo Pro or Arlo Pro 2 camera’s battery has a low charge (15% or less), plug in your camera or insert a fresh battery. You can use an Arlo Charging Station and an Arlo Pro Rechargeable Battery to make sure that you always have a fresh battery available.
If your battery is completely dead and does not charge, follow these troubleshooting steps:
Remove the battery from your camera.
If your camera is plugged in, unplug your camera’s AC power adapter cable.
Plug your camera back in to the AC adapter that came with the camera.
Make sure that you are using the power adapter and adapter cable that came with your camera. A regular 5V USB cable cannot provide enough power to charge your camera’s battery properly.

Reinsert the camera battery.
After ten minutes, check your camera’s status in the Arlo app or at arlo.netgear.com.
If you see a lightning bolt battery icon, your battery is charging. If you do not see a lightning bolt icon, continue to step 6.
For more information about Arlo battery icons and notifications, see How do I interpret my Arlo camera's battery level icons and notifications?

Remove and reinsert the camera battery, then wait ten minutes and check your camera’s status in the Arlo app again.
Repeat step 6 until you see a lightning bolt battery icon in the Arlo app.
If you repeated step 6 five times and you still do not see a lightning bolt battery icon, contact Arlo Support to speak to an expert.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
jillybeanbrooks
Tutor
Tutor

TomMac,

Thanks. I used that instruction first before i joined the community. that didn't work either, but I didnt do it *5* times, only once. I didn't want to contact support because - dont you have to pay for it after 30 days, or something? 

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

Support is free.

Try it five times as the instructions say. If you let the battery drain to 0% they can take several tries to start working again.

jillybeanbrooks
Tutor
Tutor
Thanks yall. Will try tomorrow.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes, it takes ( for me 3x ) a few times or more to push the voltage up to where the charger feels it is safe.

When you first plug in it starts to charge but stops after a short time if V is to low, that's the need for 5 times or so.

Morse is faster than texting!
Ws6fastchick
Initiate
Initiate
I know you guys say it can take several times to get the battery to finally charge. My problem last night was the camera worked fine and I charged the battery to 100 %. I then took another battery and tried to charge that battery and the camera stopped working. Put in the fully charged battery and the camera still will not work. I then took the fully charged battery and placed it into another camera and it works just fine. I had this issue before with a camera a month in and talked to tech support and they had to replace the camera under warranty. Well looks like they will be replacing this one as well. Same issue less than a year into it. I'm not impressed. 2 cameras in less than a year stopped working.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@jillybeanbrooks wrote:

TomMac,

I didn't want to contact support because - dont you have to pay for it after 30 days, or something? 

Nope. Support continues for free.

jillybeanbrooks
Tutor
Tutor
So far I havent had success with the 5x thing. Why does their website say:
"Phone support is free for the first 90 days after any Arlo purchase and is also included with any Arlo subscription. After 90 days, phone support for non-subscribers is available for a small charge to help with advanced features, interfacing non-ARLO products, configuring large networks, and more."

That is not free...unless that only applies to the advanced features portion of it and not simple troubleshooting?
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

The key is...... "included with any Arlo subscription". If you have 5 cameras or less then you have the Basic subscription, therefore support is free.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Actually, it always has been free. Yes, the verbiage is for 90 days but that's really a specific Netgear thang while Arlo has always been free forever (so far).

jillybeanbrooks
Tutor
Tutor
Was a little nervous about calling support and waiting forever. Got right in. Took about 5 minutes to determine it was the power block. I have one same voltage, tested with the cable, it worked. Will wait on my replacement block. Yay. Thanks yall..