Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

yxarlo
Tutor
Tutor

Battery drain increased significantly since July 2018. Now drains upto 5% a day. I have had most of the cameras up for over 1 year. A couple more added 3 months ago. All used to last 3 or 4 months per charge, now I have to charge every 2.5 weeks. The only thing changed seems to be firmware updates in July 2018. How do I revert back to old firmware?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

For those users who have been experiencing increased battery drain, a new firmware release is now available that will help resolve the issue.

We appreciate your patience as the development team has worked to resolve this issue and apologize for any inconvenience caused.

The firmware on your cameras will automatically be updated between 3:00a.m.- 5:00a.m. PST. 

Please be aware that if your cameras or base station are offline or actively recording during that window, they may not receive the update.  If you do not receive the update during that window you can go to Settings > My Devices in the Arlo app, and from there choose to install the new update. 

For information on this release, take a look here:

Arlo Pro - 1.092.0.17_25364 - 26th September 2018

Arlo Pro 2 - 1.125.11.1_25366 - 26th September 2018

JamesC

View solution in original post

123 REPLIES 123
Netknut
Guide
Guide

I have the same experience, Tech indicates battery life is only 1 to 1.5 years!

g3niu5
Luminary
Luminary

Never heard that one...

johninaz
Tutor
Tutor

Arlo batteries are wretched. I am having the same experience. Batteries had to be recharged after about 4 months; then 2 months; now, I get about 2.5 weeks. PATHETIC!!! Arlo Support has suggested taking the battery out, removing the camera from the system, then reload the battery and resync. I'll try it. Very, very, very disappointed and embarassed, since I have recommended the system to friends. No more recommendations until they resolve this unacceptable situation.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

The Arlo Development team is currently investigating reports of this issue. We will provide an update as soon as we have further information

yxarlo
Tutor
Tutor

@Netknut wrote:

I have the same experience, Tech indicates battery life is only 1 to 1.5 years!

That just sounds fishy. Lithium and NIMH batteries have 1000 charge cycles. Most of the batteries I charged may be 3  or 4 times. Plus I have added a few cameras in the last few months. Those batteries perform the same. So it's not a battery issue. Something to do with the hardware.

yxarlo
Tutor
Tutor

@johninaz wrote:

Arlo batteries are wretched. I am having the same experience. Batteries had to be recharged after about 4 months; then 2 months; now, I get about 2.5 weeks. PATHETIC!!! Arlo Support has suggested taking the battery out, removing the camera from the system, then reload the battery and resync. I'll try it. Very, very, very disappointed and embarassed, since I have recommended the system to friends. No more recommendations until they resolve this unacceptable situation.

I am with you. Regreting my lastest purchase. If I don't get a resolution I will probably take it back to Costco. It's only been a few months. Unfortunate.

HeikoV
Initiate
Initiate

It's definitely not the batteries; otherwise both of my camera's wouldnt have started draining fast at the same time.   They were fine until about 3-4 weeks ago when all of the sudden they started draining super fast.  They were holding a charge for 3 months before and now its been 3 weeks since my last full charge and the batteries are almost empty.  Something has definitely changed in the software to mess this up and I hope the software folks at Arlo can resolve this.   I too have been recommending this product and even thinking about adding another couple of camera's, but if this doesnt get resolved soon I'm done with this product.

Heiko

MarvinS7
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same issue and one battery wont charge.   It's only been charged twice before.

Hlalibe
Guide
Guide

Same problem here, bought my Arlo Pro last january, i was amazed at the last charge during the winter, it probably lasted 2 months or more, then the second charge a bit less but nothing major, then it's all been downhill from there. Last charged it 2 weeks ago, today it's at 13% 😞

Looking at the number of issues when Googling it, hopefully Arlo team can come up with a solution. Was planning to buy 2 more, putting that on hold.

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

There are a dozen threads in this forum on this issue, one with 800+ posts. It's not the batteries, it's the firmware. After the last few firmware updates, some people reported abnormal batteries drainage while others have no issue at all. Arlo is aware and is working on the issue. For those affected, hopefully a new firmware will come soon and resolve the issue.

And to answer the OP's question....... you cannot go back to old firmware. Firmware is pushed by Arlo only.

ehuang4022
Aspirant
Aspirant

same here, all 3 of cameras battery about 3 weeks now down to 10% ish. what can be for fix about this battery issue ?

leehabes
Aspirant
Aspirant

Battery drain has diminished to about 3 weeks per charge. Charge used to last 3 months. This is on cameras arrmed only 8 hrs. per day. That's terrible. Judging from other posts this has been going on for about 3 months with no resolution. That's the case with my 3 cameras. 

Tazewell47
Aspirant
Aspirant

sh10056
Tutor
Tutor

Me too!

sh10056
Tutor
Tutor

Me too.

billv6868
Aspirant
Aspirant

me too, same diminishing use now, only 6 months old

leehabes
Aspirant
Aspirant

barnes85
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just purchased a system and now wondering whether I keep it or return it for something else?  A friend recommended it but based on the number of posts I've read, I'm second guessing...  Thoughts?  It seems these known issues started back in May when there was a firmware release and it seems a fix is still in the works?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

First, remember that people generally post when things are good. While there are a number of threads about this, it's not as widespread as these posts would indicate or Arlo financial results wouldn't be what they are and these forums would be overrun with complaints.

Second, it would be a better idea to set up the system while you still have a return privilege and see if everything works for you. Returning the system without even trying it out seems like a waste of time to me.

Arlolosh
Tutor
Tutor

I have four Arlo Pro cameras and have noticed that the batteries are draining very quickly since June/July 2018.  Prior to then they would last months on a charge, and now they drain 5% to 8% each day.  I have had to recharge the cameras in less than 30 days.  They are set at optimized and only record for 10 seconds, also, they are normally shutoff during the day.   The firmware on my cameras is 1.092.0.16_21159.  How do I check to see if this is the most current firmware?

I too hope that Netgear identifies the firmware problem and releases a fix soon.  

joanr
Initiate
Initiate

Since June, we have had to re-charge our 3 Arlo Pro batteries every two weeks, defeating the whole point of being able to feel secure while away on vacation.  We must use ladders and dangle precariously to take the batteries down so this has become a liability rather than an aide.  The cameras stop functioning while we are away.  Netgear has known about this problem for three months yet seems to be dragging its feet in resolving it; whatever they did in the May firmware release should be reversed.  We, too, have stopped recommending this system to our family and friends.  It was a big financial investment that is worth NOTHING to us now.  NETGEAR - PLEASE COME UP WITH A FIX ASAP!!

Davhd
Star
Star

Same issue, 3 cameras.  System is draining fast, I have tried fixes posted with same result....Reboots, resets..etc.  I have also seen a battery show 12% for several days then jump up to 24% with no change on my end.  

This started around May, I noticed my batteries dropped almost overnight to half charge.  I currently get about 6-7 weeks out of a full charge.  Two of the cameras see maybe 3-5 recordings a week of about 10 seconds.  Strange part is they hold steady for a few days then start dropping 3-4% per day with zero recordings.  Another strange thing is my busy camera holds a charge close to equal of those that have almost no traffic.  There have been zero changes on my end, same camera position, same camera, same batteries, same charger, same isp provider.

System is 1.3 years old.  No issues for first year, was perfect.

reduviid
Tutor
Tutor

Same issue. I've had a four-camera system for over a year. Batteries started draining uncharacteristically fast a couple of months ago, with the cameras turned off. The rate of drain has increased, but is different between cameras. The worst has dropped from 60% to 10% in a week. I wouldn't have picked this up without an email notification from Netgear this morning. This is most unsatisfactory.Clearly Netgear is aware of the issue - so why not email all affected people with reassuring information that something is being done?  I would not recommend this product. 

Stevejb
Apprentice
Apprentice

I want to throw my hat into the ring.  I'v had the Arlo Pro for not quite a year.  Batteries were doing great until about 2 months ago. I just charged ALL of my camera (not easy) and 2 weeks later most of them are showing 48%,  NOT ACCEPTABLE...