Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro Base station and a battery backups

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
captmullet
Star
Star

My arlo pro base station is set up using usb storrage. I have also connected the base station to a battery back up incase of power outages. Will arlo still record and store video to locally storage. And then allert the mobile app when power is restored to the internet gateway?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

captmullet wrote:

Will arlo still record and store video to locally storage. And then allert the mobile app when power is restored to the internet gateway?

Yes as mentioned, It will record local if internet is down

No it will NOT send alerts during the time internet is down AND will not send them later if internet restored.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
steve_t
Master Master
Master

If your UPS has your base station, your external HDD (if power is required), your router and your modem on it, then your internet should still work as long as the ISP still has power at their end. I guess your only way to be sure is to test it, which would be pretty easy

captmullet
Star
Star

True. I may test this by unplugging the modem.

Currently using a 64gig flash drive for local storrage. Seems to work well so far. 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Netgear has stated that videos recorded to the USB drive WILL NOT be sent up to the cloud when internet is restored..this would lead me to think it the cable modem is down any recording will not send pushes or email when restored ( as it never made it to the servers )

captmullet
Star
Star

Test failed.

Arlo base powered up usb storage enabled. ISP modem turned off.

Well that sucks kinda.

Modem, Router, and Arlo all on the battery backup. Video survalance will work as long as backup power last. And as long as the ISP is online.

Netgear: Any chance of getting this in a the next update? Allow local storage if modem goes down. Idea!!!Smiley Wink Set base to lock video until modem gets back online and synced to cloud.

Side note: I am still not sure why it has to pass through the cloud. Why cant users have the option?Smiley Frustrated  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Recording to USB should be working when the Internet is down.  Try restarting the base.

Cloud recording requirement has been there since day 1 and openly stated as a requirement for the system.  It certainly could be useful for it not to be a requirement but that's what was designed and made available for the user to determine whether the system will work for him.

captmullet
Star
Star

Ok I will reboot the base and test again.

Have you ran this test on your system?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

captmullet wrote:

Will arlo still record and store video to locally storage. And then allert the mobile app when power is restored to the internet gateway?

Yes as mentioned, It will record local if internet is down

No it will NOT send alerts during the time internet is down AND will not send them later if internet restored.

captmullet
Star
Star

If it will record local while internet is down or off line. Where would the videos be? Do I need to remove the external storrage device and search for it on my PC? 

After running the test yesterday nothing showed up in my app library after internet was back on.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Yes. If your internet goes down and it records to local storage, you need to remove the local storage and plug it into your computer to access the recordings

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Make sure you properly EJECT the usb device so as not to corrupt the files... ansd YES, they only will appear on the usb drive.

captmullet
Star
Star

Verry cool!

Ejected the flash drive that is set up for local storrage. Pluged it into my PC and everything we there that recoded when the internet connection was offline. Actually everyting was on that drive since I set up local recording 3 months ago. All verysmall MP4 files.

So the next question is. How do we get the local storrage to connect to a NAS?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

captmullet wrote:

So the next question is. How do we get the local storrage to connect to a NAS?

To my knowledge... you don't.

It supports any usb drive/stick up to 2TB in fat32....  , that's pretty good for backup.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
You could pop it out on a regular basis and plug it into a USB port on your NAS. Most NASes use the port to suck in whatever is on the external device. Otherwise there's no way to use the base USB device as a NAS.
captmullet
Star
Star

Thats cool just wondering. And trying to be lazie.

All network and A/V is tucked away in a closet. Not somewere I go unless a problem comes up.

In theory this might work? Create a Fat32 partition on the NAS. Connect using USB cross over cable. Hope Arlo will see the Fart32 partition.

IDK prob. a long shot.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Probably but interesting. Let us know how it works out.