Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
VinnyC
Tutor
Tutor

I received an Arlo Pro (base plus 1 camera) for Christmas. I have used and setup a few of these in the past. I was able to add the base station to the Arlo portal, but I was unable to get the camera to sync. I opened up a service ticket with Arlo and spoke with someone in support. They ran me through the "trouble shooting process" (syncing, syncing while the battery is removed from the camera and it iss using the power supply, factory reset the base, repeat the aforementioned sync steps, firmware update to the base, repeat sync steps, remove the base from the portal, add the base again, repeat the sync steps). They declared it a fault base. I was instructed to exchange the the Arlo Pro package for a new one at the retailer where it was purchased (Best Buy). I made the exchange, came home, and repeated everything with no success. I spoke with my service provider (xfinity) and explained the situation to them. They split my router into a dual band (seperating 2.5ghz and 5ghz), port forwarded the three ports I read about online, and made sure I did not have any extra or excessive security lock downs on my network. I opened another service ticket with Arlo. A tech ran me through the "trouble shooting process" again. They declared it a faulty base (again). I went to Best Buy and exchanged the system again. I came home and was unsuccessful in syncing the camera. In my research, I read that someone had this issue and they purchased a second camera and was able to sync that camera. Then they were able to sync all the original cameras. I went to Best Buy and bought a second camera, but was unsuccessful. I ordered Geek Squad to come out to do an installation. They came out and were unsuccessful in syncing the camera and the base. The Geek Squad agent said he has hooked up hundreds of Arlo systems and has never encountered this issue. He said it could be a faulty base batch, so all of the Arlo's at the store could be faulty. I went back to Best Buy and exchanged it again, but this time, I had Best buy send a unit to my house so that it would come from a distribution center ad not the store. The new unit has arrived and once again, I am unable to sync the cameras. I can see my base through the Arlo portal, conduct a firmware update, see the base from my network, ennsured there are no restrictions and the unit is whitelisted. 

Has anyone experienced this? Can anyone help?

Frustrated End User, 

Vinny C

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
VinnyC
Tutor
Tutor
SOLUTION: I brought the Arlo base and cameras to work where we use Verizon Fios. I setup the system in less than 5 minutes. Everything worked perfectly. I brought it home and connected it to my network (Comcast Xfinity) and it works without issue. The problem obviously resides with Comcast and not with Arlo.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
steve_t
Master Master
Master

When I've had cameras dropping offline or failing to sync, it's been because the Arlo base station has followed the router to channel 13 of the 2.4GHz network. Now I've manually set the wifi router to the least congested of channel 1 or 6. Then restart the Arlo base station. Then the cameras sync up immediately.

A wifi analyzer app on your phone can be really helpful

VinnyC
Tutor
Tutor

Steve_t, 

Thank you, but that is a little above my tech knowledge/skillset. I downloaded a wifi analyzer ("Network Analyzer Lite" is the name of the app) and ran it. It showed me the Arlo base on the network but it did not gove me any control to direct the base what channel to go to on the router. 

VinnyC

steve_t
Master Master
Master

The base station follows the router next to it. You would need to log into your wifi router and change the channel there. Then restart your Arlo base station

VinnyC
Tutor
Tutor
SOLUTION: I brought the Arlo base and cameras to work where we use Verizon Fios. I setup the system in less than 5 minutes. Everything worked perfectly. I brought it home and connected it to my network (Comcast Xfinity) and it works without issue. The problem obviously resides with Comcast and not with Arlo.