Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras|NETGEAR
Tutor

Re: Arlo Pro Base Station VMB4000r3 fails formatting USB Drives

Could not agree more.
Model: VMB4000 | Arlo Pro/Pro2 Base Station
Message 201 of 209
Tutor

Re: Arlo Pro Base Station VMB4000r3 fails formatting USB Drives after firmware update to 1.12.2.1_27

Agreed. I had luck having a friend let me use her MacBook to format my 1 terabyte drives.
Message 202 of 209
Highlighted
Guide

Re: Arlo Pro Base Station VMB4000r3 fails formatting USB Drives after firmware update to 1.12.2.1_27

On windows I found out that MiniTool Partition works to format the drive 

Here is the link where you can download it.

There is a free version which works ok

https://www.partitionwizard.com/

Message 203 of 209
Tutor

All:

We have found some creative ways to work around the ARLO format shortfalls, but the real issue is ARLO /Netgear wake up and fix your problem!!  Do a patch update for firmware so we can format in NTFS or provide an external link that will work for format since your base station option is not a fix.

While you are at it, fix the Flash player needed, if not your competition will be getting a lot more business.

FlSax

Message 204 of 209
Tutor

Agreed we home techs will always find work-arounds, (reminds me of my BlackBerry days) and agreed nothing is fixed. I have to believe Netgear is working on something, but their lack of communication is ridiculous.
Message 205 of 209
Apprentice

@FlSax wrote:

All:

We have found some creative ways to work around the ARLO format shortfalls, but the real issue is ARLO /Netgear wake up and fix your problem!!  Do a patch update for firmware so we can format in NTFS or provide an external link that will work for format since your base station option is not a fix.

While you are at it, fix the Flash player needed, if not your competition will be getting a lot more business.

FlSax

Yeah totally agree. I will say, for a free and non-intrusive solution (no additional programs need to be installed in Windows) I posted a while back about booting to Ubuntu or Debian Live CD (or usb) - if you don't already run a Linux machine at home. It won't touch your computer and lets you use GParted to format properly. I've never liked Windows Trialware personally so I try to steer people clear of it.

The Flash Player is just Arlo digging in their heels and refusing to get with the times.

Model: VMC4030 | Arlo Pro Wire-Free Camera
Message 206 of 209
Apprentice

So it looks like I discovered another problem with this system. I too am having no luck getting a USB to work. I thought I could solve some of my recording issues by having it save them to a USB. Yeah right. I've barely had it over a month and I have had nothing but frustration.

I'm shopping for something else as there appears to be no solutions to any of the problems I've had.

I see if I can cut mt losses and try to get what I can selling it on Craigslist. I'm done.

Message 207 of 209
Tutor

I found that Minitool will format/create partition to allow the Arlo to use the USB storage, however the latest firmware has introduced an inconsistent base unit reload issue.

Message 208 of 209
Community Manager

This issue is now resolved in the latest firmware release for VMB4000. Please take a look at the firmware release notes and check to make sure your base station is up to date with the latest firmware version:

Arlo Base Station VMB4000 - 1.14.1.0_2909_bfcf6c2 - 30th August 2019

JamesC

Message 209 of 209