Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

TheWolk
Apprentice
Apprentice

Just noticed that apparently my Arlo Pro Base Station can no longer format USB Drives. I have been using these SanDisk 64GB drives for local storage for few months now and all was working just fine up till today when I tried to re-format.

Here is what happens:

1. Running Format takes unusually short time (less than 5 seconds) and after "completion" USB Device Status is shown as "Ready" and Available Storage is shown as "0 of 0"
  2. Removing and re-inserting USB Drive into Base Stations reverts display of Available Storage numbers back to the values shown before the format was attempted.
  3. Reading Drive on PC shows all files are still there and the drive in fact was not formatted at all.
  4. Formatting USB Drive on Windows 10 PC to xFAT and trying to format that USB Drive in Arlo Base Station no longer converts File Sysytem to FAT32. USB Device Status remains "Requires Formatting" no matter how many formatting attempts have been made.

Based on these observations I'm reaching a conclusion that Base Station can no longer execute Format correctly. No changes have been made to my setup except for resent firmware update for Base Station to 1.12.2.1_2798

Could someone please try formatting USB Drive on VMB4000 to check if it still works for you?

207 REPLIES 207
Dannybear
Master
Master
Additionally, the base will not record to USB any recordings made by using live view or CVR.
There is a legacy bug that prevents triggered recording of powered cameras if there is a loss of connection to the base station.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Not exactly a bug but a design decision. Live view recordings should be possible but CVR is an issue with even large drives. I think I had a ~2GB file for just one hour, probably for a Pro (720p) camera. Yes, 2TB is much larger but if you're using CVR on multiple cameras or don't clear out data you could easily run out of room. Besides, there are cameras already out there that do this - it's their forte.

im_juggernaut
Aspirant
Aspirant
So I understand correctly continuous recording for a gym, the arlo 6 camera cvr 60 day plan would not be a suitable recommendation? I’m not even sure what exactly I should do with the usb drive either. New to this system.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I would think the CVR plan would be absolutely necessary so you're covered for accident claims. However, that would require that all cameras be plugged into AC power since the battery simply wouldn't last. A set of Q cameras may be a better solution since they require power in the first place and don't require a base station.

The USB drive is only for motion detected recordings which wouldn't seem appropriate for your use except for maybe overnight. Also, the USB drive should be considered a backup for the cloud-based recordings since you would have to eject the drive to view the recordings on a computer.

Dannybear
Master
Master
@jguerdat
I find it annoying that my posts are sometimes being altered after posting.
Just for your record my last post is missing a paragraph in the middle where it states that powered cameras are not recorded to the backup USB devices if the base station looses internet connection. This was the legacy bug being referred too.
JohnnyCo1n5
Tutor
Tutor

Hello, same issue as everyone else. 

After reading through this entire thread I'm begining to wonder why any of us are using ARLO.  Is there nothing better?  I have battery issues.  The USB option doesn't do what I want it to.  My camera's have missed the chrime and only caught the back of the persons head as they run off.

Any suggestions for a better system?

FW: 1.12.2.4_2772

Thanks 😃

sanman
Guide
Guide
Tend to agree. I have 2 x16GB USB flash drives inserted and rotate between them. After upgrade, one refused to reformat. Thought maybe it had died but no, a pc formats it albeit slowly. Will look into this further.
im_juggernaut
Aspirant
Aspirant

Does the wireless camera have an option to plug in AC power?

The other problem is I am a 24 hour powerlifting gym. I have people that train continuously through the night. I'm beginning to think I wasted 900.00 SMH

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The original wireless cameras don't have an official AC power option. The Pro and Ultra cameras do as well as the indoor Q cameras.

lewis76
Star
Star

kcglock,

I actually have an SSD attached now to the unit.

Samsung T5 Portable SSD - 1TB - USB 3.1 External SSD (MU-PA1T0B/AM)

lewis76
Star
Star

RonAlv,

I would suggest formatting it using your computer as the software on the Arlo is terrible. If the unit still does recognize it after formatting to Fat32 then the drive is most likely incompatible. 

Szmydth
Aspirant
Aspirant

Trying a add a storage device, keeping getting failure to format.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Posted many times here. Right now, your only choice is to format on a computer. Depending on the size of the drive as well as the OS of the computer, you may need to Google for a FAT32 utility since Windows wants to use exFAT or NTFS and won't allow use of FAT32.

Szmydth
Aspirant
Aspirant
Formatted to fat32 and still will not work.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Some have also reported this.

Apprentice
Apprentice
Apprentice
Apprentice

It's been more than a month. When they gonna fix this?

Downunda
Apprentice
Apprentice

A few days back three of my four Pro2 cameras went off-line and the only way I could get them to function again was to power cycle the basestation (that got the cameras on-line again).  I noticed that coincident with the time the cameras went off-line that local recording to the USB stopped.

The message I'm getting now is that the local storage (USB) needs formatting, but when formatting is commenced (it seems to start) the message "Formatting Failed" is returned.

Just to be sure I tried another USB stick with the same result.

Dannybear
Master
Master

The USB format feature has been broken for months. Use the pc to format the device. FAT32.

zekeftw
Aspirant
Aspirant

I found this thread after I had the same issue. I have a Seagate 1TB USB 3.0 external hard drive and it didn't work either. I formatted to FAT32 using my computer but the base station still "Requires Formatting."

I contacted Arlo support via chat and they didn't provide a solution. Here are some direct quotes from that conversation:

Arlo Agent: I see. I actually found out that there is an issue with connecting a Seagate and WD of 2tb storage capacity. Let me check if 1tb is also affected.

Me: do you have a list of hard drives that WILL work? I rather buy one that will work out of the box rather than spend time trying a workaround

Aro Agent: I would like to inform you that there are also cases for other brands, thus, I cannot assure you that buying a new one will work.

Me: is there really no brand/model you can recommend? how can you have a feature and not be able to know what it works with?

Arlo Agent: Well, any brand should work on the base station. I may need to have this case added to this known issue. As of the moment, you do have an option to try other brands but I cannot assure you a 100% assurance that it will work. It may or may not work

... this is very dissapointing considering I'm in over $1,050 in hardware for seven cameras and $20/mo for the monthly subscription. 

SteveW5354
Guide
Guide

I gave up on a new WD 2 TB drive and went with a 500 GB Seagate that I had lying around and salvaged from some old laptop. Just put it in a 2.5" hard drive enclosure ($10), formated it on a PC, and then everything worked!! 

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

The Arlo development team is currently investigating this issue where some users are unable to format their local USB storage. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community. We appreciate your patience and understanding and apologize for any inconvenience.

KcMt
Aspirant
Aspirant

VMB4000r3 hardware with firmware version 1.12.2.4_2772.

I have formatted 2 usb thumb drives (fat32) on a pc. The base station fails to recognize either. I've read tons on posts with similar questions, but none of the solutions seem to work with this version. Any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions?

Cara7175
Tutor
Tutor

I am also still having major issues, ongoing since late May.

I have 2 Arlo Pro VMB4000R base stations, both on the same router, same wifi network, same firmware etc etc.  In January I connected a 4TB WD elements usb harddrive (i didn't realise at the time that 2TB was the maximum it can handle) to one of them for local storage.  The base station reformatted it no issues at all back then (although after formatting it only has about 1TB of memory, but this doesn't bother me in the slightest).  I have just purchased a 2TB WD elements harddrive (same brand!) and plugged it into my second base station (same model) and the second base station refuses to reformat it.  I've also tried reformatting it on a desktop computer, but the base station still won't recognise it and continuously says the usb drive requires formatting.  I have an ongoing case open with support for this issue, plus one of the base stations (the one with a USB connected for local storage) going offline intermittently numerous times a day and resetting itself.  At least they've managed to fix 1 of the 3 issues I've had - the time zone reverting to the default everytime the base station went offline & rebooted itself.  I suppose we should be thankful for small mercies... Tech support don't seem to be any help at all and continually ask the same repetitive questions over and over without actually giving any solutions other than sending through their trouble shooting checklists (Have you tried turning it off & back on again! LOL ).  This system worked beautifully up until the firmware update at the end of May.  Since then it's been the most unreliable pain in the rear end!  I've spent over $2000 and it's certainly not living up to it's advertised "security surveilance" system.  It's not providing any security or surveilance when it goes offline so often and for extended periods of time!

SteveW5354
Guide
Guide

Regarding "I have an ongoing case open with support for this issue, plus one of the base stations (the one with a USB connected for local storage) going offline intermittently numerous times a day and resetting itself."

I am curious to see what happens if you properly disconnect the local storage (Base Station > Local Storage > {disk label name} > Safely Eject USB Device) - TEMPORARILY - like for a day or so to see if the issues are resolved?

WD 2 TB HD:

I had the same issue and worked around it using a 500 GB Seagate drive that I salvaged from an old laptop, put it in an 2.5 inch HD enclosure ($10), then format it on a PC. Was under time pressure and did not tried other options, e.g. use a 1 GB drive.

Let us know. Thanks.