Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

TheWolk
Apprentice
Apprentice

Just noticed that apparently my Arlo Pro Base Station can no longer format USB Drives. I have been using these SanDisk 64GB drives for local storage for few months now and all was working just fine up till today when I tried to re-format.

Here is what happens:

1. Running Format takes unusually short time (less than 5 seconds) and after "completion" USB Device Status is shown as "Ready" and Available Storage is shown as "0 of 0"
  2. Removing and re-inserting USB Drive into Base Stations reverts display of Available Storage numbers back to the values shown before the format was attempted.
  3. Reading Drive on PC shows all files are still there and the drive in fact was not formatted at all.
  4. Formatting USB Drive on Windows 10 PC to xFAT and trying to format that USB Drive in Arlo Base Station no longer converts File Sysytem to FAT32. USB Device Status remains "Requires Formatting" no matter how many formatting attempts have been made.

Based on these observations I'm reaching a conclusion that Base Station can no longer execute Format correctly. No changes have been made to my setup except for resent firmware update for Base Station to 1.12.2.1_2798

Could someone please try formatting USB Drive on VMB4000 to check if it still works for you?

207 REPLIES 207
StinkFinGr
Star
Star
So what are you saying? Or just deflecting from the fact that your comment was not helpful?
StinkFinGr
Star
Star
Double post
BassMan0000
Initiate
Initiate

Trying to format one WD 2TB and failed, then tried a WD 1TB and also failed.

Formated both to FAT32 on my mac, but still the app requires a format then fails to do it.

Anyone having similar issues and found a solution?

Thanks

SteveW5354
Guide
Guide

Don't bother with 2 TB, not supported. However, the 1TB formated in FAT32 should get recognized and work. Plug in only the 1 TB drive and see. It might get confused when the 2 TB is also plugged in.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

FAT32 actually supports up to 2TB but may require a separate utility to get there. Make sure you're actually using FAT32 and not exFAT or other file system.

daneh
Tutor
Tutor

Yep, I'm unable to use an external drive with the base station at all. I have tried two different drives, on a 500GB HD and another a 16GB flash drive, both were pre-formatted to FAT32 and NEITHER worked... it says "requires formatting" - Then I attempt the formatting process, it looks like it's working, and then it returns immediately to the "requires formatting" message. Pretty disappointing.

Rosalyn43
Initiate
Initiate
Well saud. Up till not Arlo havent resolve the problem.
kkpoon
Tutor
Tutor

Hi there,

I would like to find out if there is anyone who has successfully formatted a 2TB hard drive using FAT32 and able to use it as local storage on the Arlo Base Station? If yes, kindly share the steps and particular what tool was used to do the formatting.

Thank you for your help & support.

Regards,

Kim

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Right now the formatting via the base is broken so use a computer. First, a 2TB hard drive is generally gross overkill. I suggest a 32-128GB thumb drive which is much easier to remove - no wires or power supply to contend with.

You can Google for "fat32 format utility" for a wide variety of solutions. I've used various.

johndiehl
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm not sure you can even get a 32 MB thumb drive anymore. They are silly. I'm with the OP. I have a 4 GB Sandisk, pre-formatted FAT32, no partitions, and it won't format. That's an unfortunate situation, by my lights. 

StinkFinGr
Star
Star

@jguerdat , some "GURU" you are. Are you on the latest Firmware? Using any drive, formatted on computer, any size, USB 2 or 3, thumb drive or external HD DOES NOT WORK! This has been repeated, over, and over and over again. Is this actually working for you on the the latest firware? For many of us who have worked through all "workarounds" there is no solution. Yet rather than reading the posts you simply post what has been posted time and again as a solution. It is not. Please stop repeating this blather

johndiehl
Aspirant
Aspirant

OK, I found a thumbdrive that is working. An old 8GB SanDisk. Some confounding factors: This drive was probably formatted on a PC; I decided not to reformat first.  I formatted the previous drive (that didn't work) on my Mac (to FAT32). Also, I did a restart of the base station inbetween. That may have been the fix. So try that.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@StinkFinGr wrote:

@jguerdat , some "GURU" you are. Are you on the latest Firmware? Using any drive, formatted on computer, any size, USB 2 or 3, thumb drive or external HD DOES NOT WORK!

I've formatted a drive on  computer and it works fine. You have to use a FAT32 utility and not exFAT - different beasts. My drives work fine.

StinkFinGr
Star
Star
These types of answers are useless. You have not read posts. This is the same useless response that is given after anyone explains the lengths they have gone to to solve this problem. If you read any of the posts you would know many of us have done this to no avail. I did format to FAT32 using the recommended utility, no partition, etc, etc. NOT using exFAT. Many different drives, USB 2 and 3, different sizes. No success. Again, are you on the newest FW? Or not? You have obviously not read through this thread but post uselessly without benefit to anyone. An effort to get post count up?
daneh
Tutor
Tutor

I chatted with tech support rep yesterday. He confirmed that there's an issue with external drives and said that they're working on a fix but don't have an ETA for the firmware update. I guess that's good and bad news.

kkpoon
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you for your advice and findings. I have successfully formatted my 2TB hard drive in FAT32 and it is accepted by the Arlo Base Station. Guess I don't need to worry about insufficient local storage for a long long time. 

Cheers,

Kim

im_juggernaut
Aspirant
Aspirant

A couple of questions:

I have the 6 camera Pro. I tried to plug in a WD 500GB portable USB hard drive. It recognized that it was there, but failed to format.

1)Why doesn't it format it? The drive is fine as it was used for a year. 

2) If I need to use a different drive, and I have found one that is only 256GB how many weeks or months can it store? I am a 24-hour gym and I need continuous monitoring.

3) If a customer has an issue where I would need to go to an archived video, how does the drive archive and store this footage?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

First, the format in the prgm may not work.. format outside of prgm and plug in and test

Second, a speed stick of 128 or 64 GB is easier to use, no wires, etc...

Third , the USB back up is NOT and will NOT record 24/7... it only records and backups Triggered motion events.

To get 24/7 record you need to purchase the CVR plan ( and cam needs ac power )

The backup is really a back up...to view, you must remove the drive/speedstick and put into another computer to play back videos... they are stored by date in epoch time... VLC player is a good 3rd party player and is free.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
im_juggernaut
Aspirant
Aspirant
I tried it on my pc and it worked, but the drive is recognized as needing a format. I did format the drive with fat32.

If I understand this correctly, I need to have continual backup. So from what you’ve said i believe I will need one of the crv plans, but which is best?

Can you elaborate on the backup is a backup? I’m not sure what that means. What is the point for local backup then?
thomasd57
Aspirant
Aspirant

Firmware 1.12.2.4.2772

Hardware VMB400r3

Tried four different drives, sizes from 500 GB to 2 TB, formatted on PC with FAT32, tried different allocation sizes. Each time same thing, drive requires formatting, formatting fails.

This is definitely broken on that version of firmware. Suggest people post firmware version and detailed instructions what they did when "it works" for them.

StinkFinGr
Star
Star

Please read this thread. You will find none of the answers you seek, everything from it does not work on current FW to some that insists it does not work. Read the thread and try the proposed solutions for yourself.

im_juggernaut
Aspirant
Aspirant

Wtf kind of **bleep** a** support is that? You’re a **bleep**.

kkpoon
Tutor
Tutor

Hi there,

I have exactly the same firmware & hardware which you mentioned in your posting. As we all know the current firmware/software on the Arlo Base Station (VMB400r3) have problem performing FAT32 formatting especially for large USB drives, so the only option we have is to use a PC/laptop to do the formatting before connecting the USB drive to the Base Station.

Below are the steps which I have done to get my 2TB seagate backup plus slim portable drive formatted:

1. Download the free trial partition manager pro from this link

https://www.easeus.com/partition-manager/epm-pro.html

2. After successful installation of the EaseUS Partition Master, open the application and select the drive that requires to be formatted and select FAT32.

3. Complete the formatting by clicking on Apply for pending operation

4. After formatting completed, just safely disconnect the formatted USB drive from PC/laptop.

5. Connect the formatted USB drive to Arlo Base Station (VMB400r3)

6. Open the Arlo app on either IOS/Android, look under Devices and select SmartHub/Base Station/Bridge then select Storage Settings. You should be able to see your USB drive name and status should show Ready.

Hope with all the above steps, it will help to assist all who have similar problems.

Cheers... 🐵

thomasd57
Aspirant
Aspirant

Well, I also managed to connect a 2 TB disk. Few comments that might be helpful for others.

1. I deleted all partitions from the drive and re-created a new one.

2. Used http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm  to format drive with FAT32 and default allocation unit.

3. Rebooted the base station

4. Connected the drive to the basestation. Initially, it announced it needed formating, but after about a minute it recognized the drive. 

For those who struggle with this, remember it does NOT record all video, it backups the same clips it sends to the cloud, so a small thumb drive is likely sufficient.

StinkFinGr
Star
Star
Problem is, this method does not work for most users. It seems those that get drives to work via format through there computer are few. Those of us that do EXACTLY the same process and have NO success are many.