Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 20 Replies
  • 26 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation
McMuffle
Follower
Follower

I've noticed over the past few days the middle LED on the base station (internet) blinks green 5-6 times then goes solid. This happens every 20 seconds or so but has not happened until recently and I can't find any information to tell me what this means.

The app is working fine and I'm able to view my camera so there is no problem with connectivity - anyone able to help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Streak2
Master Master
Master

This is a feature of the new firmware. The blinking is to show connectivity to the Arlo servers.

Nothing to worry about but well noticed.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
Streak2
Master Master
Master

This is a feature of the new firmware. The blinking is to show connectivity to the Arlo servers.

Nothing to worry about but well noticed.

Diamondman
Initiate
Initiate

Thank you for the great answer to the blinking, green, internet connectivity light (middle light on the Arlo Pro).   I was about to ask the same question.   Good job!

Pilotn
Initiate
Initiate

The update to give the blinking light stopped me connecting. I had to de-power the base station to get connection with iPad/iPhone again. 

BigDennis57
Apprentice
Apprentice

I just noticed my Internet LED flashing last night. I was concerned that there may be an issue, so this is good news! How did you guys learn of the firmware update and added features? Thanks!

Dennis

Streak2
Master Master
Master

I contacted support and asked them.

Pilotn
Initiate
Initiate

Had no idea where to look, so Just Googled....the question! It worked!

miche001
Star
Star

Thanks - the station is working fine - so I could not figure out why the base was blinking!

BigDennis57
Apprentice
Apprentice

Pilotn, 

I hear you brother! Google is what got me to this forum too. I suppose I was looking for some official statement, from tech support, in reference to the firmware update and changes to our base station functions. Thanks to everyone who shared information from their calls to tech support! 

Dennis

turbosix
Apprentice
Apprentice

Uhh... hold on a second.

Can we have an option to turn this awesome new "feature" off? Due to the way my house is wired (and for central placement) the base station is in direct line of sight of the TV. This blinking light is really distracting.

All I care about is if the station has a connection to the arlo servers or not. If I wanted to know if it was transmitting I would place the switch in a direct line of sight of the TV as well so I could watch it, my home theater receiver, my ps4, etc. 

BigDennis57
Apprentice
Apprentice

turbosix,

My setup is directly above my cable box and well within my field of view as well. When it was a solid green light, I would simply glance in  that direction to make sure all three LEDs were solid. This was my indication that all was well with the world. I thought something was drastically wrong, when the Internet LED started flashing and no mention of it in the manual! I actually shifted my base station to the back of the cabinet, so it is not viewable from my recliner, but easily seen when I stand up. I feel sure it will grow on me eventually! LOL 

miche001
Star
Star

My base is in my bedroom window (best reception for the outdoor cameras), and the steady lights weren't a bother, and I guess I'll get used to the blinking ones eventually, But wish they'd let us know of the change - I thought something had gone awry on this end, and power cycled the base, check the connection speed, replaced the ethernet cable, and checked that the video streamed as well when the lights were blinking and when they were not. Finally decided all was well and it was a problem with the light itself, went online to report that to support - and found this thread. That was time that could have been better used. Still love the system - but communications could be better!

shoustonnz
Luminary
Luminary
Fair enough its a firmware update. But maybe we should be told, what is updated. When you log in (as I am sure everyone who took the time to write on this page does) a message comes up saying firmware updated. And a link to more details. And those details should be detailed, not just, "bug fixes".
Cos this one is "bugging" people. Not a fix.
BigDennis57
Apprentice
Apprentice

miche001,

My point exactly! I was planning to do exactly what you did, but decided to check the forums first. I Googled the issue and finally found where someone contacted tech support and they communicated the issues to the forums. Communication for firmware updates could be a whole lot better! Like you, we love our system and the feeling of security it gives us! Thanks!

Dennis

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

My modem and router also blink. It's a feature. A small piece of tape would block the LED if needed.

miche001
Star
Star

True - but bet they're not in your bedroom. And they have been blinking forever...you knew that when you installed them. The point is to tell your customers when you make a change that they will notice - especially ones that may bother them.

turbosix
Apprentice
Apprentice

yes, and they're not visible for that exact reason. i don't need to see the lights blinking unless i am installing new equipment or troubleshooting a problem.

if i put tape or paint over the LED i will no longer be able to see at a glance if arlo is on and connected like it should be. 

please tell me how changing the middle LED on the base station from solid on to blinking is a good change. solid on indicating everything is connected properly was fine. this is an unecessary change. 

turbosix
Apprentice
Apprentice

I refuse to believe this is an "accepted solution". 

Why stop with a blinking LED? I don't think that is enough, honestly.

Can we please have a new "FEATURE" implemented in the next firmware update that chirps the siren in the base station in sync with the blinking LED? 

I think we can all agree that would be an awesome feature to let us know the base station is connected to the internet. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Again, damned if you do, damned if you don't.

turbosix
Apprentice
Apprentice

no, that really isn't it at all. i'd really like to know who thought a solid lit LED wasn't enough to confirm the base station was connected to the internet

why apply this logic to the middle LED and not the other ones? make the power LED flash to let me know the base station is still powered on... it's connected to a huge UPS, but i mean, like i really need to know it's on! make the camera LED flash to let me know it's still connected to the cameras. 

i can't wait for my arlo base station disco firmware update. 

Streak2
Master Master
Master

My understanding is that the internet light on solid means that the base is receiving an internet connection from the router to which it is attached.

This does not mean that the router in turn will be able to communicate with the Arlo servers. There have been a number of instances where all lights are green but nothing else works.

If the Internet LED is flashing, it will only flash when communicating to the backend due to a trigger, login, or just status check. This would be useful when fault finding just the same as your switch/router/ethernet adapter lights up and flashes to indicate connectivity and the flow of traffic.