Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Dmmack
Apprentice
Apprentice
All 4 of my new Arlo Pro cameras (updated firmwares for base and cams) are making a clicking sound that sound just like a ticking clock. It's constant. Harder to hear on outdoor cams, but indoors it's very apparent.

Also, it seems that once triggered, it takes a full second for the (recorded) sound to activate. Is there a sensitivity setting that would adjust the sound to initiate as soon as video? (So far haven't had any recorded events triggered by audio.)
100 REPLIES 100
pluckytree
Star
Star

areubens wrote:

I agree.  I hope they replace your system soon.

I'm getting nowhere with support. Chat, email, and phone support all want me to go through the battery removal, device removal, device add and wait 24 hours. And I've done it multiple times. The chat agent wanted to access my account to hear the sound. I don't think so.

I had a lot of hope for this product, but this is incredibly disappointing. I'm not sure whether to return it and order a new set of cameras. I need these in place by 12/20 so I don't really want to take a chance on ordering new ones, having them work, then hoping I can return the broken ones after the 30 day period.

I don't have time to waste with Netgear anymore trying to get them to fix the problem. Here is the audio clip I sent them. It's even worse when there is no background noise like at night.

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/2675EF353BFF02B7_201612

- Chris

Spiral
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just received my 2 camera Arlo Pro system yesterday and am having the same ticking problem. Here is a short video of the sound:

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
That the same sound I was having. Netgear send me a new camera.
arlobro
Apprentice
Apprentice

Silly question, for both of you with those issues:

I definately hear the sound in the videos, Could it be RF/EM interference? any sonic bug/animal repellers nearby? airport radar?

In the youtube video, you have a second video that played right after, I saw a bunch of huge antennas in the background, are those cell towers, microwave? reminds me of the sound wifi or cell tower makes with an RF detector - perhaps the camera mic is picking up signal interference? It's not as quick as wifi, but consistant and similar to both issues - some type of beacon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKeSGmp4F4c

you guys should figure out if you have similar situations or maybe similar hardware in the house (router brand, some other wireless device on your network) that is giving off that same very signal / beacon pattern

Did a new camera fix the sound? if it did then unshielded or bad internal component..

I hope you get your issues fixed soon, the ones I'm having aren't being addressed that quickly either (although no ticking sound, just multiple recordings when night vision is active on some cameras)

Spiral
Aspirant
Aspirant

Youtube autoplays their own videos. That video after mine is not my own.

Not sure about what you're suggesting other than another poster on here claiming a replacement camera fixed the problem of the exact same sound, so it wouldn't seem to relate.

arlobro
Apprentice
Apprentice

quick reply..sorry i edited my post because someone posted prior to mine, if new camera fixed sound, then it could be unshielded or bad component in the camera, i'm about to call and ask for replacements as I think two of mine are defective for a different issue, maybe these were rushed cameras

pluckytree
Star
Star

arlobro wrote:

Silly question, for both of you with those issues:

I definately hear the sound in the videos, Could it be RF/EM interference? any sonic bug/animal repellers nearby? airport radar?

In the youtube video, you have a second video that played right after, I saw a bunch of huge antennas in the background, are those cell towers, microwave? reminds me of the sound wifi or cell tower makes with an RF detector - perhaps the camera mic is picking up signal interference? It's not as quick as wifi, but consistant and similar to both issues - some type of beacon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKeSGmp4F4c

you guys should figure out if you have similar situations or maybe similar hardware in the house (router brand, some other wireless device on your network) that is giving off that same very signal / beacon pattern

Did a new camera fix the sound? if it did then unshielded or bad internal component..

I hope you get your issues fixed soon, the ones I'm having aren't being addressed that quickly either (although no ticking sound, just multiple recordings when night vision is active on some cameras)

If there is interference, it's something in the neighborhood because it's affecting cameras that are quite far apart. One is at a front door, two inside, and two in the far back corner of a backyard. Based on previous wireless experience, it sounds like an improperly shielded antenna or microphone.

There are no nearby cell towers for me and the usual power lines out by the street. I have an original Arlo base station and the new one but the problem persists if I disconnect the old base station. We don't have anything unusual, just an AT&T router with WiFi.

I haven't gotten any new cameras, so I don't know whether the issue is fixed or not. It seems highly unlikely to be a software issue. And I'm not saying that because I work in software. 🙂

- Chris

arlobro
Apprentice
Apprentice

i agree with you - either your hearing a defective unshielded component in each of your cameras (the more that do it, the more unlikely though), or something is interfering with it - it could be any number of things, another motion sensor, wireless device on your network (smart tv, smart fridge, laptop), wireless meter reader transmitter, 2.4ghz cordless phone? neighbor with a powerful sonic repeller, some type of pump motor, something in your neighborhood - underground or natural, it could be coming over your electrical current, try switching to 50hz in the flicker adjustment just temporarily to see if you still hear the sound, even though for us it should be 60hz,

best test would be to bring base and 1 cam to a totally different location and see if it still does it, then you know it's something nearby - and then you may have the new adventure of figuring out what exactly it is .. interesting none the less, i feel like we're beta testers

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor

The replacement camera fix the sound problem for me. I went to Best Buy and bought another, and now, is also working fine so now I have two cameras in my system both of which do not have any ticking sounds

arlobro
Apprentice
Apprentice

solved then .. bad components inside cams

what a pain, for my issue (different) i'm going to request replacement cameras also now, i have until Feb to return to best buy, but the hassle of taking everything down is not something i look forward to, will give netgear opportunity to replace just 2 for me. worst case scenario i will return all, but maybe inherit 4 new issues by doing that

serghe
Guide
Guide

I got a replacement fron Netgear, put it in the same spot and no problems ever since. So, I would say it's the camera not the location.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

pluckytree,

I have reviewed your case and I see it is being escalated for RMA. Please let me know if you need any further assistance.

JamesC

AlfonsoFaustino
Aspirant
Aspirant

I experienced the same issue when viewing Live.

This is the process that eliminated the clicking sound for my Arlo Pro camera; and, it might work for you:

1) Access your Arlo applicatoin via mobile, desktop, or laptop;

2) Remove your device (the camera that is clicking);

3) Remove the battery;

4) Install the battery;

5) Synch your camera to the base station;

6) Check your Live feed to see if the clicking went away.

In my case, the clicking sound took place, outside my front door, which is the location of my camera.  The ambient noise was low; and, that's the circumstance I would hear the clicking noise during my Live feed.

So, after you complete the six steps, supra, if your camera is outside, test it when the ambient noise is low to zero (I realize technically, when dealing with outdoors, getting a technical zero-deciblel is unlikely; but, for lay-man's terms, I'm using the term "zero" as noises you can and cannot hear with your own ears without equipment). 

I hope this resolves your clicking sound.

/s/ Alfonso Faustino

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
This do not fix my problem. They sent me a new camera
TechyFred
Guide
Guide

Update on my situation... I went through support and recieved replacement on 2 out of my 4 cameras.

These 2 were really bad and sounded like a treadmill running in the background.

The replacements are improved, they still have a tick if you really listen to it but it's not that noticable with the outside ambient noise.

Veemaxx
Aspirant
Aspirant

I fisrt noticed the ticking sound on mine when I lowered the video quality,   I can even see the time line bar move in little jumps with the noise.  I think maybe it has to do with the refresh rate of the camera.

cleveland
Tutor
Tutor
I have a flir camera that does this and flir said it was the ir causing the issue
cleveland
Tutor
Tutor
Refresh rate
dbeahm
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have same issue with Arlo pro camera i just got.  clicking sound. i also just got Arlo Q plus and it does not have any clicking sound. I put them in same location.  Netgear support is very poor.  i opened ticket several days ago and just getting a run around.   i'll never buy any netgear products again in the future due to that.  i'm going to try to return the camera and base to best buy to get a replacement. 

also am unable to record to local storage to either arlo Q Plus and the ARLO base unit. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

dbeahm,

I apologize for the poor experience with support. If you provide the case number you have open with the support team I will review your case and escalate as needed.

JamesC

Barry2016
Guide
Guide

I've noticed I have the exact problem as described as above. I have 2 out of 3 camers with an annoying clickig/ticking sound when in live view or viewing a recording. I also just recently had to do a RMA because one of my cameras constantly detected movement when in night mode. I'm seriously thinking about returning the whole system. 

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Sounds like your cameras are defective you need new ones I had the same problem and they Next Day Air a new camera for me now everything works fine
dbeahm
Aspirant
Aspirant

netgear didn't respond to me at all so I went back to Best Buy and returned the base unit and pro camera for new.  both the ticking sound and the  storage to USB issues were resolved.  sounds like based on the feed back there is a high ratio of cameras getting this ticking sound so beware when purchasing these cameras.  case number 27784964.

I talked to couple people and they both were not helpful at all. one of them even tried to make me think the ticking sound was normal for the camera.

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
For me they were very helpful. They said they would move this to the next level and call me within 24 hours. They never did so I called back gave them my case number and she said well how can I help you I said are you going to send me a new camera this camera is defective. She put me on hold came back and said somebody will call me back tonight and they did. The Tech Guy said he will send me a new camera Next Day Air. The new camera works fine since then I have bought 2 more cameras at Best Buy both work fine. Good luck with your issue I hope it becomes resolved for you.
manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
I noticed the ticking on some of my new cameras. It's minor and don't think I would have noticed it without reading this topic though.