Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Dmmack
Apprentice
Apprentice
All 4 of my new Arlo Pro cameras (updated firmwares for base and cams) are making a clicking sound that sound just like a ticking clock. It's constant. Harder to hear on outdoor cams, but indoors it's very apparent.

Also, it seems that once triggered, it takes a full second for the (recorded) sound to activate. Is there a sensitivity setting that would adjust the sound to initiate as soon as video? (So far haven't had any recorded events triggered by audio.)
100 REPLIES 100
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Dmmack wrote:
All 4 of my new Arlo Pro cameras are making a clicking sound that sound just like a ticking clock. It's constant. Harder to hear on outdoor cams, but indoors it's very apparent.

The PRO on Android LG phone and it's low for me, but really does sound like a ticking clock...

On the Ipad tho it sounds a bit more like techno music. ( weird elec sounds )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
TechyFred
Guide
Guide

When the ambient noise is quiet I also get the "electrical noise" type of sound. However when it records voice or noise I can hear that sound clearly.

I think the noise filtering is not good and it's picking up the small noise when ambient is quiet. 

Dmmack
Apprentice
Apprentice

Here is an example of this ticking sound. It happens when triggered, manual, and live. All cameras.

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/380EE66350AF39CC_201611

armsil1234
Apprentice
Apprentice

Are you using a extended length USB cable to run / charge the camera? 

Dmmack
Apprentice
Apprentice

No, it's running on battery -- an Arlo Pro. 

Also, I've created three separate support tickets, one of which involves this issue, and the only support reply from engineers I've received in a week's time is, "Have you reset the camera after the firmware update?" (This was regarding a CVR gap/not working issue with two Arlo Qs). No response whatsoever on the Arlo Pro sound issue. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Dmmack,

I would like to take a closer look at the issue you are describing, if you could, please provide the case numbers you have open with support.

JamesC

Dmmack
Apprentice
Apprentice

27627305 -- this one is regarding the ticking sound on the Arlo Pros

Dmmack
Apprentice
Apprentice

7 days later, still no response or follow up. My recent (just now) response to the support ticket: 

"Still no follow up or resolution. Am I going to be able to return these cameras since your support has dragged out for so long? There has been no help for this issue whatsoever, or even mention that this is common/not common.

Why IS THERE A CLEARLY AUDIBLE TICKING SOUND?!"

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Dmmack,

I apologize for the lack of follow-up. I will request an update on your case.

JamesC

pluckytree
Star
Star
The link expired, but a ticking clock is a perfect description. Here's a link to a video recording:
https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/BBE8807FEF1088F6_201611
I have 5 Arlo Pro (HD) cameras and it doesn't always happen. Right now, it happens to 2 of them. They were all updated to the latest firmware as of last Friday.
Any ideas from Arlo support?
- Chris

Dmmack wrote:

Here is an example of this ticking sound. It happens when triggered, manual, and live. All cameras.

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/380EE66350AF39CC_201611

schuess60
Tutor
Tutor
Same issue on all 5 of my cameras.
bkeith
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same here -- just installed Arlo Pro base station plus 6 pro cameras.  One camera, the only one inside the house, is ticking like a clock.  Happens during any live viewing and in any recording.  Any solutions found?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

pluckytree, schuess60, bkeith

Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link. If you have any additional questions/concerns feel free to private message me. I would be happy to help.

JamesC

serghe
Guide
Guide

I had one that made that sound also. I got a replacement from Netgear, so you'll need to contact Support.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
I just got some RMAed cameras. The sounds in mine are gone, too.
TechyFred
Guide
Guide

All four of my camera's tick. Two of them are so loud it sounds like someone is running on a treadmil next to it...

I contacted support, but why is this happening? 

areubens
Aspirant
Aspirant

For my add-on Arlo Pro, during the day the ticking is not very loud (but still there).

In the evenings it is a bit louder. I think someone mentioned it sounding like someone was on a treadmill.  

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/EBC806CA3217E4C2_201612

I am thinking I need to take it back to Best Buy and exchange it for another one, but what if the new one does the same thing...  Is this happening with all Arlo Pros are just some?

pluckytree
Star
Star

I spent more time analyzing this and it is indeed all 5 of my Arlo Pro cameras. I think it is worse at night but probably just less ambient noise. I have a ticket open with Netgear, but it's taken so long that I keep getting warned that the case will be closed automatically, so I just add a comment every few days.

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
I had that problem they sent me a new one. you have to push them
Dmmack
Apprentice
Apprentice

I THOUGHT they were sending me a new set of 4, as that's what the support ticket said, but I've yet to hear back or receive them. Seems that it's a widespread problem, not just some faulty hardware. I'm guessing they're messing with the gain structure of the firmware, as the last update seemed to be a bit quieter overall, but the signal to noise ratio seemed the same. 

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Call them back ask them what's going on you've been waiting that's what I did and then they said somebody would call me back tonight and they did and it was a higher level of people and the guy sent me a new one
areubens
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you all that responded to my post.  Your responses are very helpful.  From what I am reading, it seems to me this is a flaw/bug that they needed to fix or maybe they have fixed it.  If they have fixed it, I want to definitely push for a replacement directly from them. My plan is to call first thing in the morning.  I will give an update after my call. 

areubens
Aspirant
Aspirant

I hope they take care of this soon for you!! 

pluckytree wrote:

I spent more time analyzing this and it is indeed all 5 of my Arlo Pro cameras. I think it is worse at night but probably just less ambient noise. I have a ticket open with Netgear, but it's taken so long that I keep getting warned that the case will be closed automatically, so I just add a comment every few days.

areubens
Aspirant
Aspirant

I agree.  I hope they replace your system soon.