Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 21 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
darkeyes
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had configured activity zone on my arlo cameras before. I deleted them for several months and now that funcion is not available anymore! Is the firmware update causing this? In brief, now I want to create zone and no options available. I did follow article 1001908 and no luck! 

Any help is appreciated, thanks

21 REPLIES 21
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @darkeyes

Is this occurring on the web browser or the Arlo Mobile App? I am not able to replicate this issue through the App. I am able to create an activity zone.

darkeyes
Aspirant
Aspirant

It happens on both web browser and mobile app. My Arlo app on web browser has version 2.7.2 release date is 03/22/2019. Hope these help to troubleshoot, thanks, ShayneS

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@darkeyes

2.7.2 is a fairly old version of the Arlo mobile App. Can you update this to the recent version and check for the activity zones feature. Do you have a screenshot of the missing opton?

darkeyes
Aspirant
Aspirant

I don't see option to upgrade firmware. See attachment, please.Arlo Firware.JPG

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

That is your base station firmware, I was referring to the app version on your mobile device. The latest versions are Android - 2.7.9 & IOS @.IOS 2.7.7. I have provided a link here to the Firmware Release Notes

darkeyes
Aspirant
Aspirant

Acutally the Arlo app on my android phone is up-to-date, it is version 2.7.6_25569, released date 03/29/2019. No, there's still no option to set Zone! what can be missing or missed configure? thanks.

darkeyes
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just update again with version 2.7.9_25600 released date 04/23/2019 on my mobile phone and no option to set zone! missing configuration somewhere?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@darkeyes

Can you provide a screenshot of the missing Zone option.

darkeyes
Aspirant
Aspirant

Here you go! It used to have Active Zone option for me  to draw a rectangle on my front door to set active zone. The screenshot does not include the bottom of the screen where there are options to Roate Image 180, Night Vision and Power Management. Thanks for helping me!

Missing Active Zone Setting.JPG

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

You do not happen to be a granted access user? you are on the admin account correct?

darkeyes
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am logging on with the only account I created when first setup my Arlo. I have only one account, thanksAccess.JPG

adocorp
Apprentice
Apprentice

I turned off my zones... I had it configiured a few times for all my cameras and it stop getting alerts or recording motion every time after I enabled it for a few days. Feature is useless if you ask me. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@adocorp

Have you tried contacting customer support regarding this issue? I have attached the link here for you - Arlo Tech Support

adocorp
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have contacted Arlo support. They told me to remove the zones which did not help. Next steps was to remove camera and add it again which did resolve it for a short period of time then it comes back. It feels for any resolution for an issue, you have to remove the camera and re-add it.  Why is that?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@adocorp

I suggest contacting support and updating your case if you have one, with the results are experiencing after re-adding.

Aklare
Guide
Guide
I called support for the same problem. The support person told me how to go in where activity zones used to be but we could not find them. They were confused. After a few minutes on hold they came back and said that you now have to pay for that feature. I told them i just bought these cameras specifically for motion detection with zones, it was working for a maybe 3 months, and now they disable the feature and you have to pay. So now one camera notifies me constantly all day. They would not grandfather me into the service or offer any compromise for the problem they caused, and would not accept a return. Then, to be very nice to the support person, they hung up on me. Very disappointed with spending hundreds of dollars to have it wasted or made less useful unless I start paying more money... I feel like i was taken advantage of by this company by them selling my a product and then taking some important parts of it away. They should be paying me for the services we agreed on for the price and that they did not provide.
Aklare
Guide
Guide
Arlo has informed me that they changed their policies and reneged on the activity zone feature that I specifically purchased the product for. They wait to take it away until after the return period has passed so if you are unhappy there is nothing you can do. I have had several calls with support for support or returns and they have all been fruitless. One support ticket told me to call back and ask for a refund which i had already done. GET OUT ASAP. This is not a trustworthy company... sadly, i did my homework, was excited, and the really, really, let me down..
Aklare
Guide
Guide
I tried to post the reason for activity zones not working and my comment that i pasted into multiple posts was blocked. Wierd... bottem line, they take zones away after 3 months now and don't tell you. I have multiple tickets in with them and they just give me the run around. RUN AWAY from these guys... i was really excited and they took advantage of me...
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Aklare wrote:
 bottem line, they take zones away after 3 months now and don't tell you.

It sounds like you are complaining about the need for a paid subscription when the camera is battery powered.  And that what happened is that your trial subscription ran out.  Is that correct?

If so, this information was in the FAQs when you purchased.  But I agree it would have been easy to miss, and it's unfortunate that you didn't realize it until after the return period was over.

KC-Chiefs
Aspirant
Aspirant

Wrong!  Don't troll/attack people when you don't know WTH you're talking about.  And you're a "super User"?  I'm thinking a better description for you.  This option was on my cameras/app for 3 years and suddenly removed without notification, or if I was notified it wasn't clear.  I agree with the other users of a bait and switch tactic.  How do I now change my activity zone that I setup years ago when I'm using the camera in another location and want full screen motion detection?  Now I have to purchase a subscription to remove my setup? plain and simple.    

Aklare
Guide
Guide
I think the constant flow of users about this on top of the numerous things you could do to address the issue but have not speaks for itself. Arlo is wrong about how they provide this feature and then how they treat the users who have trouble.