Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
QcGold
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, 

I buy an Arlo Pro 2 for my lodge up north. My internet speed (upload) is very limited, we are with Xplornet (for those who know them), I got an upload speed of about 1.8mb/s. One Arlo work just fine, but I would like to add another cam. I know one Arlo need 1mb/s (upload) to run, so my question is: 

Does the camera take bandwidth even when it does not work, (One of my Arlo doesn't need the sensor motion)? If my two cameras do not work at the same time, is it possible to have two with a little less than 2mb / s upload?

Thank you guys !

4 REPLIES 4
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Bandwidth on the Pro2 sits about 750-1Mbs ( from my data meter )( at highest video setting, you can lower this )

Remember that the min stated by Netgear/Arlo is also for inclusion of connection commands and overhead.

The camera does not use data if not streaming or recording ( in any amount that matters )

2 cameras should work for you.. If you see an issue tho, you can lower the data thru put on one.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
QcGold
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you sir ! Do you have experience with Arlo Pro 1, I read the night vision is way better, I won't lie, my Arlo Pro 2 is pitch black as I am in the wood (very dark, will install a light to help)? Can I run a Arlo Pro 1 on the Arlo Pro 2 base?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If it's that dark out, you may well need additional lighting to see anything beyond 15-20 feet. A motion detection light may be all you need (Arlo has one that can work with the cameras so if one detects, they both can turn on). That rather negates the need for a Pro1 camera but, yes, all Arlo wireless cameras work with all base stations.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The internal IR does have it's limits....

here's a pic of the Pro night vison ( no external lighting ) ... max distance is about 25 ft+ or so .. the short center stump is at 28ft

PROnight.jpg

Here's a pic of the original Arlo , same shot

1412896279066.jpg

Morse is faster than texting!