Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 1 of 3 cameras fast battery drain/connection issues

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 7 In Conversation
cbryancan
Initiate
Initiate

I purchased a 3 camera set and instelled everything.  2/3 of the cameras work great, no issues at all.  However, the 3rd camera has always been problematic.  The battery drains very fast.  The first time it drained 100 to 0 in less than a week, while the other cameras were still in the low 90's/high 80's.  I recharged it, and it sometimes only lasts a few days before it goes offline.  I recharge it, then have to manually remove it from the system and re-add to get it to wokr at all.  Last time it was just a day between recharge/re-add and it going back offline. 

I switched the battery with another camera to see if it is a battery issue.  The malfunctioning camera is still malfunctioning, even with a different battery.  Meanwhile the battery that used to be in the malfunctioning camera is working fine in a different camera.  

I have my base station in a corner inside my house.  Two cameras are just outside the wall fo that corner mounted on the exterior of the house.  one of them (Driveway) is working great.  The other one is the malfuncitoning one (Side).  Side and Driveway are less than 5 feet apart from one another, and both are only about 5 feet from the base station.  Meanwhile, the third camera (Back Patio) is much farther away, and works great just like Driveway.

The problem seems to be isolated to the Side camera.  It seems to drain very fast and become completely unresponsive until I plug it in to recharge it.  And even then, it is a chore to get it reconnected to the system.

Any suggestions?  I contacted support and I'm expecting to have to jump through a bunch of hoops before they just replace the camera.  I've only had the system for about 3 weeks, so I'm tempted just to return it to Amazon, but that will be a huge hassle.  

9 REPLIES 9
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The only other thing

1) swapping locations with another camera to make sure not location

2) remove the camera and bring it back.

SETTINGS>REMOVE DEVICE. 

this will reset all the base info on that camera ... Bring it back as new

If the problem continues... you already have your only two options.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
cbryancan
Initiate
Initiate

Thanks.  I have already tried the remove/reconnect to no avail.  To me all signs point to a hardware issue, so I'll have to take it up with Netgear or return it.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

cbryancan,

It could be an interference problem at that cameras locations. Have you also tried swapping the problem camera for a camera that is behaving correctly at that location as suggested by TomMac above?

JamesC

bluebells
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue.  One of 3.  The battery was at 80% earlier today and then it just died.  Happening once a week.  Others are doing great. 

JamesC wrote:

cbryancan,

It could be an interference problem at that cameras locations. Have you also tried swapping the problem camera for a camera that is behaving correctly at that location as suggested by TomMac above?

JamesC

bluebells
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just to update on my problem.  I have a skin on mine and when I took it off I noticed the battery door was open.  I'm not sure how this happened but I removed the battery and replaced it and it's back online now.  The charge was not depleted like last week.  So we will see how it goes this week 🙂

pitahastings
Initiate
Initiate
Got the Six Pack approx 2months ago. Just had the same exact proplem. It not an interference issue, nor is it range issue. Very weird. All six have been working great until yesterday. If anyone has found the reason for it please let us know.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Interference may be a tough nut to crack since it's invisible.  However, if there's nothing else that can be using the 2.4GHz band for anything (cordless phones, etc.) then it's reasonable to expect it's not an issue.  Are all of your cameras showing this?  Have you restarted the base and reinserted the batteries?  If not, did it help?  If it's only one or two cameras, try swapping the cameras around to see if the issue follows the camera or the location(s).  Also, verify you have the latest firmware on all devices.

esmoglo
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same exact issues with one camera so it's not a range issue ( Camera is near the base) at all I have five cameras and only one is doing this. Has anyone come up with a fix?  Who do you contact? because I cannot find a number to call anywhere in the Arlo literature.  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Did you try the Contact Support link at the bottom here?