Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 27 Replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 13 In Conversation
Klegacy
Star
Star

Hey there:

Is there a fix for all the issues I am experiencing with Geofencing lately?  Worked fine when I first purchased, now it seems all messed up.  It constantly goes into away mode when I am at home and does not pick up that I am home after being away.  Also getting the Arlo geofencing needs an internet connection all the time.  Please tell me there is an update I can do to resolve these issues.  I have a Samsung Galaxy S6 phone. 

Thanks,

27 REPLIES 27
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Seems to be an issue with the app re the internet connection notification.

For the geofencing, make sure your app optimisation is disabled. Ensure you have location services accuracy set to high. You could increase your 'home' radius. Your phone will automatically update its location when it connects to your home wifi so if you can extend your network to cover the entry point of your property better, it will register earlier

Klegacy
Star
Star

No difference really yet.  Still doing the same things.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

You said it randomly goes into away mode while you're at home. No problems with your wifi connection cutting in and out? Perhaps try restarting your phone as it's your phone that tells the app where you are, not the app itself

Klegacy
Star
Star

Wireless has never been a problem and this app has not been until a little while ago.  My connection is very strong, and my base station is sitting right next to the router.  I can be in the same room and it will do this randomly.  Also when I come home and get in range, it does not always pick up now.  So when I get in camera range it picks up motion.  Frustrating.  

Klegacy
Star
Star

Any plan to fix these issues?  There must be others experiencing it too.  Worked well before, but now my geofencing is kind of useless to me.  It is too annoying to enable it.

JST4KXS
Aspirant
Aspirant
Seeing the same issues. After one of the recent updates the reliability has dropped off the charts
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

This issue is currently being investigated by the engineering team. I will provide an update when I have more information.

JamesC

Klegacy
Star
Star

Thanks for the update.  It is still not working well.  Appreciate you folks looking into it.  It is such a great app, would love for it to work well again.

Grispy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just wanted to say I too am having this issue and have been since I bought the system. At first I thought it was an issue with my phone (HTC G2), but after I got a new phone about a month ago (Galaxy S7), the issue is still going on. Since I started typing this, I've gone from "Home" to "Away" and back twice now. This in the span of about 2 minutes makes this feature completely useless for me. Thanks!

KS911
Initiate
Initiate
Hi, i would love to buy the system but doubting if i see above comments. Cant you guys use the home/away function like NEST?
Klegacy
Star
Star

Any update on these issues?  It is really working terribly.  I am constantly needing to restart my phone to get rid of the "needs an internet connection" message, and I have resorted to manually arming and disarming as the geofencing is constanly changing on me to away when I am even in the same room as the base station.  It is also not disarming when I arrive inside the zone I have set in the geofencing section, no matter the size of the zone.  This all worked fine when I first got the system.  I have tried everything to fix it, without success.  This is such a great setup I hate to see this working so badly. Question:  What happened to make this start happening, and when can we all expect to have an update to the app that will get things back to normal.

Thanks, 

Klegacy
Star
Star

Currently not working well at all.  Apparently being looked into.  Great system, but geofencing is really flakey right now.

Machinist2
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have similar problems with this frustrating app. The phone randomly switches between home and away, sending me notifications every time.

Every time the base disconnects I get the "Arlo needs internet connection" notification but it cannot be swiped away. To close it I either need to restart the phone or force close the app.

When I open Arlo back up I get an issue where it freezes up this awhile. If I try to minimize it goes into split screen mode. If I try to home it launches Google Assistant.

I'm using a Pixel XL on nougat.
Klegacy
Star
Star
Anymore progress on these issues? Seems very quiet on here lately.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Many users have had success resolving this issue by checking their mobile devices battery saving settings. Some devices have battery optimization settings that close or put apps to sleep after they have been idle for a period of time. Check your mobile devices settings and be sure that an exception is made for Arlo if you are running battery saving settings.

JamesC

Klegacy
Star
Star
One of the first things i checked. Still issues.
turbosix
Apprentice
Apprentice

i know i'm bumping an older thread, but i would also like this notification changed to be able to be dismissed.

i consistently get this when my phone goes into battery save mode. i know why it tricks the app into thinking there's no connection and it's fine, but not being able to dismiss it is really annoying.

Klegacy
Star
Star

Months go by and still no fixes.  This arlo needs an internet connection and not being able to remove the message without rebooting my new Galaxy S8 is unreal.  Please, please fix these issues with an update.  I am also still having issues where my geofencing does not do what it should.  Love the cameras, but the service and app are leaving me angry.  No response on what seems to be an issue all users are having as well.  Please find a fix, and make this app work better.  I have tried all of the stuff that people replied with and still the same issues.

Zhengc
Aspirant
Aspirant
Any solution? After 3+ mos, arlo team still not resolve? My arlo sends more than 10+ times of ‘left/entered’ notifications each night now! Garbage function!
turbosix
Apprentice
Apprentice
Sounds like your phone is to blame. I dont have these issues.
Machinist2
Aspirant
Aspirant
From what I can tell, it has something to do with location being driven by gps vs WiFi. I found an app that compares the position reported by both. If Arlo gives me a notification that I'm in away mode, and I open that app, you can be sure it's showing me as in some nearby shopping mall. Then the position corrects itself and so does Arlo.
PaulRichmond
Aspirant
Aspirant

Geo Fencing does not work. I might need to return to Costco. Worthless to me If I have to remember to always turn off cameras when I am home then turn on at night turn off when awake on when leaving. Nuts. Simple programing. I have 3x Arlo wireless Pro, Base, and 2 Hd Pro cameras. 

norma-1940
Tutor
Tutor

Take your unit back while it is under warranty, as they keep promising a fix and its not happening.

Rickenator
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same issue and have been talking about it on another thread.  Recently I have stopped getting notifications of activity in that thread. Not sure why.

I like the cameras but it would be nice if the Geofencing worked.