Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Arlo False Triggers With Sunlight / Shade

Discussion stats
Highlighted
Guru Guru
Guru

Dealing with shadows (and reflections) can be challenging.  

Subscribing to smart helps, as you can then turn off "other motion" notifications.

Another option you could consider is using audio alerts (with no motion sensing) during the time when the shadows are creating the problem.  

Highlighted
Guide
Guide

[quote]Subscribing to smart helps[/quote]

Helps who? Arlo?

Highlighted
Guru Guru
Guru

@ianc911 wrote:

[quote]Subscribing to smart helps[/quote]

Helps who? Arlo?

It reduces the false notification rate.  That would help you of course.

Handling shadows requires image analysis - which really can't be done in a battery-operated camera.  It requires cloud resources (AI) , so Arlo charges.  At the end of the day, they have to cover the cost somehow.  

FWIW, another thing that can help improve the motion detection is to power the camera with AC.  Though I don't think that will help with the shadows.

Highlighted
Guide
Guide

"Handling shadows requires image analysis - which really can't be done in a battery-operated camera"

If that's the case, why are there so many people complaining that this behavior only started after recent code updates?

Maybe time to take a second look instead of trying to drum up more subscriptions...

Highlighted
Guru Guru
Guru

@ianc911 wrote:

Maybe time to take a second look instead of trying to drum up more subscriptions...

I don't work for Arlo, so I have no reason to "drum up more subscriptions".

I do have two cameras that are aimed at a driveway that is shaded by trees.  So I've personally experienced this issue - and the smart subscription definitely helps.

It's fine with me if you don't want to spend the money.  But don't attack me for offering a suggestion that I've found to work.

Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant

@StephenB I’ve been using Arlo for the last several years and having pretty much similar issues as everybody else. Tried everything without any success. The cameras get triggered with multiple small changes in the environment despite lowering the sensitivity and most of the time when you play the video it’s only a light flash or a shade really annoying. I only bought Arlo due to its wireless feature otherwise I don’t think it’s worth a dime hence also I never upgraded it after reading multiple similar complaints which so far remain un-adressed

Model: VMC3030 | Arlo Wire-Free Camera
Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue too and since the app upgrade, cannot even change the sensitivity or adjust the geofencing. It's essentially rendered the cameras useless as they are constantly triggering and spamming our phones and emails with 100's of messages a day.

Model: VMB3000 | Arlo Base Station, VMC3030 | Arlo Wire-Free Camera
Highlighted
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @KirMar

Have you tried contacting customer support regarding this issue? I have attached the link here for you - Arlo Tech Support