Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 32 Replies
  • 27 Likes
  • 16 In Conversation
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Arlo really need to address the recent issue with their systems given so many false triggers now due to sunlight and shade combinations .

Over about the last six months this has been a real issue for my system and reading the forums I’m not the only one . I suspect it has to do with a system update they have not fixed the bugs on with the IR algorithm .

I have had an Arlo system for about 3 years now , got 2 cameras with the system at purchase , purchased another camera shortly after from a different shop and then purchased 2 pro cameras at different times from both different shops . So in total I have 3 regular arlo cameras and 2 pro cameras .

I have 3 cameras outside , 1 at the front of the building and 2 at the rear and 2 cameras inside , the cameras have been in the exact same spot since I installed them at purchase 2-3 years ago and there have been no major changes to the outside environment eg new buildings , cut down trees etc which affect the sun/shade from before .   

I originally had the camera sensitivity set around 80% to 75% on the outdoor cameras and was lucky if I got 1 false trigger a week which was great .

However since about 6 months ago I get like 20 to 40 false triggers a day with sun rise and sunset and I have moved the sensitivity all the way down to 5%.

I have even tried moving the cameras around by placing the inside cameras in the outdoor positions, the cameras that were indoors have been giving no false triggers while inside however when I place them outside they give numerous false triggers , the outdoor cameras which I then place inside do not give false triggers . I have tried this with all 5 cameras which were all purchased at different times and locations and 2 are different models so it is not a hardware or hardware batch issue .

The whole system has also been restarted by myself and also an Arlo tech over the phone which has done nothing for fixing the issue

You can see screen shots attached for the front camera there is noting else that could give the false trigger , and it only happens on the front camera during sunrise which cast long shadows and sunlight over the front of the house .

The rear two cameras only happen in the afternoon when the sun is setting and doing the same .

If Arlo could admit they have a bug in the algorithm update and fix the issue instead of ignoring it would be appreciated

32 REPLIES 32
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Dealing with shadows (and reflections) can be challenging.  

Subscribing to smart helps, as you can then turn off "other motion" notifications.

Another option you could consider is using audio alerts (with no motion sensing) during the time when the shadows are creating the problem.  

ianc911
Guide
Guide

[quote]Subscribing to smart helps[/quote]

Helps who? Arlo?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ianc911 wrote:

[quote]Subscribing to smart helps[/quote]

Helps who? Arlo?

It reduces the false notification rate.  That would help you of course.

Handling shadows requires image analysis - which really can't be done in a battery-operated camera.  It requires cloud resources (AI) , so Arlo charges.  At the end of the day, they have to cover the cost somehow.  

FWIW, another thing that can help improve the motion detection is to power the camera with AC.  Though I don't think that will help with the shadows.

ianc911
Guide
Guide

"Handling shadows requires image analysis - which really can't be done in a battery-operated camera"

If that's the case, why are there so many people complaining that this behavior only started after recent code updates?

Maybe time to take a second look instead of trying to drum up more subscriptions...

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ianc911 wrote:

Maybe time to take a second look instead of trying to drum up more subscriptions...

I don't work for Arlo, so I have no reason to "drum up more subscriptions".

I do have two cameras that are aimed at a driveway that is shaded by trees.  So I've personally experienced this issue - and the smart subscription definitely helps.

It's fine with me if you don't want to spend the money.  But don't attack me for offering a suggestion that I've found to work.

Abih
Aspirant
Aspirant

@StephenB I’ve been using Arlo for the last several years and having pretty much similar issues as everybody else. Tried everything without any success. The cameras get triggered with multiple small changes in the environment despite lowering the sensitivity and most of the time when you play the video it’s only a light flash or a shade really annoying. I only bought Arlo due to its wireless feature otherwise I don’t think it’s worth a dime hence also I never upgraded it after reading multiple similar complaints which so far remain un-adressed

KirMar
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue too and since the app upgrade, cannot even change the sensitivity or adjust the geofencing. It's essentially rendered the cameras useless as they are constantly triggering and spamming our phones and emails with 100's of messages a day.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @KirMar

Have you tried contacting customer support regarding this issue? I have attached the link here for you - Arlo Tech Support