Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

This new updated App sure drains battery fast and make a significant warm/heat feel on iPhone 5s and 6 especially in live view.. It sometimes freezes when in full screen mode during live view. In full screen, landscape mode still have the top bar showing with the status icons. Pressing the live button doesn't always starts. When it does, only for a few seconds and stops..  Hmm.. am wondering what bug did the  talented Arlo Software Engineers fix?  

137 REPLIES 137
bwarman
Star
Star
It doesn't seem to have anything to do with the iOS version you're running. I'm still on 10.3.3 and it's a nightmare on my phone. Spent about 20 minutes setting up my last two cameras this morning and it sucked about 60% of my battery up, only using the live feed a couple of times. It's the app and the app alone.
sjchester7
Initiate
Initiate

Thank you for that info! I let my husband read your comment. He was blaming my iPhone thqat I gave him - his old phone didn't run the battery down. Please fix this, ARLO! My husband wants to change to "Nest" at his office.

Dlopez
Aspirant
Aspirant
Today my Arlo Pro was installed. I had the Nest. I must express that I’m extremely disappointed how the Arlo system drains my iPhone battery at a rapid rate. Although the Arlo system is much better than the Nest, I didn’t have IOS battery drain problems with the Nest. .
I’m adraid and disappointed I have to return the Arlo system because of this issue.
bwarman
Star
Star

The recent update to the Arlo app (available yesterday December 11, 2017) seems to have fixed the battery issue on my iPhone. I've done some testing and there is no longer a significant battery drain when using the app, or leaving it open. I've re-enabled background updating and viewed my live feed, as well as recoreded clips, and my battery life seems to be normal.

I guess all of that shutting down my iPhone, testing how YouTube videos drain my battery, closing out of apps, posting screenshots etc., that support wanted me to do to fix my problem, really seems to have fixed the problem. It's only coincidence that I downloaded the new app and the battery drain is no longer there!

Hope everyone else has good luck with the new update.

Nupie
Star
Star
WHOOOHOO!!!
I hope it really is fixed.

Going over to download it now.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

A new iOS app is available for download in the iOS store. Please make sure to update to the latest version and let us know if you are still experiencing issues.

Release Notes

JamesC

saronian
Guide
Guide

No culpability just "various other bug fixes"

bwarman
Star
Star

It also took me posting the news in this thread for them to acknowledge that maybe they fixed their problem.

Nupie
Star
Star
Yeah. I noticed that same statement!!
They won’t admit to the problem but I tell you it’s fixed!!!!
I JUST DOWNLOADED THE UPDATED APP. LEFT ONE CAMERA ON LIVE FOR 5 MINUTES. BATTERY DRAIN TOTALLY NORMAL AND THE BACK OF THE PHONE ISNT SMOKING LIKE BEFORE.
I put on all 4 cameras on live all at once for the first time!!!
Back heats up very slightly with many cameras on live. Can easily live with that.
Seems to be working.
WILL COMTINUE TO TEST FOR LONGER PERIODS.
Noplacetobe
Tutor
Tutor

Great news...downloaded the new app with high hopes!

Mac1010
Initiate
Initiate

Wonderful news! Thank you to all who helped fix the issues!

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

It also fixed the landscape view.. It's now full view without the status bar on top when viewing live.. Thank you Netgear and to all who helped here.. 

Note:

I recommend to restart your device after you download the App or logging out the App from your Profile and sign back in to make sure no glitch.. Cheers!

UK_MarkB
Star
Star

Thanks for the heads-up. I auto updated and would have kept turning the app off.

2% drain in 20 minutes leaving live view open. That’s encouraging.......... I’ll reserve final judgement for a few days.

no comms from Netgear though.