Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Rezolution1
Star
Star

After the update on 11/22/2019 (2.11.1_26070) my Android Arlo app now shows the incorrect (sometimes random) mode setting.  If you close the app and restart it, it still shows the wrong mode.  You can confirm what mode it's actually set to by using a web browser on a pc or laptop, or opening a web browser tab on your phone and setting the browser to desktop mode.

Even though the system is set to "Armed" and you can verify this by setting off all the cameras at my house, the Android App will randomly tell me it's set to one of my many "custom" modes.

I would appreciate it if support would help fix this issue in the near future as I can't accurately tell what mode my system is using by using the Android App.

68 REPLIES 68
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Thanks for confirming, @Rezolution1!

Our development team is currently investigating reports regarding the mode not showing correctly on the Arlo Android app on the latest Arlo Android app. We'll make sure to update the community once we hear any new information.

Rezolution1
Star
Star

Jessica,

Thank you for commenting in the thread and thank the development team for working on it.  I appreciate it and look forward to a quick rezolution 🙂

Rezolution1
Star
Star

Jessica,

One more thing I wanted to let you know.  I have 8 "Custom Modes" on my mode page.  I'm not sure if that will help with the troubleshooting (if everyone is affected or just people with a large number of custom modes).

echo92626
Tutor
Tutor
I've got the exact same problem, even on the new updated app, problem still exists.
Rezolution1
Star
Star
On my android (galaxy s10) it does show things under mode, just randomly incorrect modes. I'm assuming you're saying yours is just blank. Sounds like 2 different bugs.
xjc52
Initiate
Initiate

Update: I have been in contact via e-mail (my choice) with Level 2 support today. He requested that I delete the custom mode I had installed, and recreate a new one. However, the problem still occurs. He also had me set the mode from my desktop computer  to "Armed" and they haven't changed or disappeared on the android app.  

Rezolution1
Star
Star
I really wish they wouldnt ask customers to delete or modify their settings to test things for them. They should be testing the product in their lab. The employees should have them set up at their homes as well and they should continally test the product before and after they push updates.

Shame on them for asking you to delete or re-add anything to test their product . Thats a very poor business practice.

We need that one girl on the forum to post to the owner on facebook or whatever she did last time.

That certainly lit a fire to get things fixed.
Chip651
Aspirant
Aspirant
All of a sudden we are having the same issue. Go into App, set mode to Schedule and a few minutes later be go back in to check it and it's disarmed. Doesn't happen to the video doorbell as we leave that armed 24x7 but the rest of the system won't stay on schedule. When on armed it doesn't change.
Also I tried going in thru the web interface to change things up to see if it was just the app. My devices say disarmed, main portion of the screen where the modes are says schedule. Go back in thru my phone it's disabled. Seriously WTF!?!?! I don't have time to troubleshoot their BS!....... 🤬

Gonna switch to something else that actually works if this doesn't get resolved quickly. Was just about to buy some Ultra camera's too.....SMFH
Basta-shute
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, I installed new update  (2.11.2) and mode tab still does not show mode settings. When I select a mode (Ex. Armed) it does show that it is armed and I close the app. When I reopen the app every setting is unchecked whether armed or disarmed, etc.  How is it possible that this app can't tell me whether my cameras are armed or disarmed?

Basta-shute
Aspirant
Aspirant

I agree with Rezolution1. I also have used the old apps everyday, for over a year, and have never experienced this issue until after the latest update.

rg71656
Aspirant
Aspirant
Did you get a fix? Mine goes to disarmed everytime i put in shedule, tried everyting reset changed shedule mode around resaved. Nothing works i need help i have always used this mode since i set it up over 3 years now wont work i csnt fix.
silverado44
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

A lot of us including me are having this same problem since 11-22-2019 as they released 2 app updates since with no help. None of the employees have responded to this such as JessicaP JamesC or Shayne. Time for an e-mail to the CEO of Arlo.

I even sent them a PM and none have replied. 

Rezolution1
Star
Star
The worst part is... sometimes it starts working again and you think its fixed. Then if you close the app and restart it or force stop it and restart it, it starts doing it again. Or if you swipe close it and restart it, it starts doing it again (randomly shows the wrong mode).

Today I opened the app and when i went to view the mode, it actually flipped back and forth between 3 incorrect modes while I was looking at it (bouncing around while looking at the mode page of the app).

I dont understand if they can't duplicate the issue, they can't explain the issue to the programmer (language barrier), if the programmer is incapable of fixing issues, if they subcontract the work out, or if they just dont care.

None of these are really acceptable.
sim672
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have had so many problems with the Arlo Pro 2 camera system. It's like every 2 weeks something goes wrong. The latest problem I'm having is when setting to schedule mode it reverts back to unarmed. I'm using the Arlo app on Samsung Note9. Please fix.
MikeHab
Guide
Guide

Same here - I have been using Arlo for the past couple of years and have never experienced this problem until the past month or so, since the Nov'19 update.  The app now seems to be showing a completely random custom mode, and when I set it back to Armed it just flips back to showing a Custom mode instead - so I have no idea which mode it's actually in.

This new issue (to me at least) , combined with the long-standing issue with low battery alerts no longer working for the past year or so (even with non-rechargable batteries), means that Arlo is now becoming a completely useless home security solution.  I, along with many others I notice, have started looking at alternatives.

Arlo really needs to up its game in terms of QA regression testing both firmware and app updates, especially for older hardware models which many people still rely on.  Arlo was, and still is, one of the more expensive DIY home security products out there and people have paid a lot of money for these systems, only to find that within a relatively short period of time poor software updates are rendering the entire system worthless.

Please fix this (and the low battery alert) a.s.a.p. if you want to keep your customer base.

Tonyob
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the same problem and the help desk and it has supposedly been fixed . I select SCHEDULE on the mode selection. When later I review what mode is set to, it is either ARMED or DISARMED. When I try to change the mode setting from schedule to disarmed, it says in the mode selection it is disarmed, but the cameras remain in schedule. A number of times I have set the cameras videoing to record, when they should have been disarmed. I have read what has been posted on the help desk & community. I just checked, when I went to my account via the web browser, the mode setting is saying SCHEDULE. but when I check this on my Android APP, it is saying DISARMED. The help desk says this has been fixed. I have the latest app with the latest update. I completely removed the app from my phone and the reinstalled the latest version. I have reset my Netgear router. The problem still persists. This makes the system unusable. I don't know if my cameras are set to detect intruders or not. Can the Arlo App team sort this problem out please.

Tschweier
Aspirant
Aspirant

My Arlo is automatically switching from schedule to armed. Additionally, I am unable to edit my start and stop times. I go in and make the edit, hit save, then back out. When I go back to schedule, it reverts back to my original schedule. I saw a thread from last month with the same issue. Anyone else having this issue? 

jsnphdrn
Tutor
Tutor

I am also having this issue - modes show incorrect in the App (usually "Disarmed" or even NOTHING selected), but show correct on the website.  I had a similar problem once earlier this year (around the time they released the new app & firmware I believe), but a complete disconnect/reconnect from Samsung SmartThings, and uninstall/reinstall of Arlo app fixed it.  I tried that again this time, but the modes are still showing incorrectly on the App. 

I would like to add that I also get empty/blank notifications whenever I navigate within the Arlo app.  (Ex. opening the app, switching from Mode to Devices to library, etc.)  It's really irritating to get the popup every time. 

@jguerdat :  Your repeated "solution" to use a web browser on your phone instead of the Arlo app is dumbfounding.  I don't use a ton of apps, but my security cameras system would definitely be one I don't want to screw with opening a web browser to manage, maintain, view devices, etc.  That's something I want to be quick, efficient and reliable.  It's fine if that's what you want to do (to each their own), but that's not what the majority of the posters on this forum are looking for. 

@JessicaP , I also uninstalled and reinstalled the Arlo app, and it currently shows release date of 12/2.  I have an Android Pixel 3, and the latest Android version (10).  I tried a chat and phone call with Customer Support, and they gave me a Case #, but botched the description, so I don't know if they really even understand the issue.  They also had me upload screenshots of before & after I exit the app (as though I'm not smart enough to see the difference), and then when the purpose of the screenshots, and if the issue might be related to the latest release on 12/2, they disconnected my chat session.  I haven't heard from them since.  I've been a software developer at a financial company for 15+ years, so if you need a reliable source to provide more details, please let me know. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@jsnphdrn wrote:

@jguerdat :  Your repeated "solution" to use a web browser on your phone instead of the Arlo app is dumbfounding.  I don't use a ton of apps, but my security cameras system would definitely be one I don't want to screw with opening a web browser to manage, maintain, view devices, etc.  That's something I want to be quick, efficient and reliable.  It's fine if that's what you want to do (to each their own), but that's not what the majority of the posters on this forum are looking for.

I never said it was a solution. I have said that this has been going on for some time and that it's a problem with the various apps. What I have offered is a workaround so you can be sure of what's actually configured. It's not ideal but it's a way to be sure. You don't have to do it.

Neither one of us has the ability to do anything about the problem other than to make it public.

sgolfer0408
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is this fixed yet?  This product is useless as a security system if it doesn't operate properly on the app.   

clj2012
Initiate
Initiate

Recently my "Schedule" mode has not been functioning properly. I can see that the "Schedule" mode is selected and it does change from "armed" to "disarmed" at the proper time, but during the "disarmed" time periods it still sends notifications to our devices. I have unplugged the base station and reset it from the app. I have also tried adjusting the schedule and re-saving it and also changing modes. I have made sure that I am using the new Arlo app and that it is up to date. I am not sure if it is related but recently while away from home I kept getting a message that my device had gone offline when I logged in to the app on my phone. There were no issues with my internet or electricity. The scheduling issue appears to have happened after this issue. Eventually the base station started working again after a few hours.

silverado44
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Well the new app 2.12 update today 12-13-19 is still buggy as my modes are still blank still doesn't show armed sometimes it will show then disappear just like before. It only disappears when in armed mode I cant believe this is still a problem. Android 9  A50 phone. 

Rezolution1
Star
Star
I tested this as well. It still shows random modes with the 12/13/2019 release 2.12.

The displaying of the incorrect mode has not been fixed.
rfs
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just to chime in as another affected user. Mine keeps switching around between modes as well.

I uninstalled the app and reinstalled it, same behavior.

From the browser it appears configured properly. So, what's likely happening is some "off by one" type bug in the app. The setting is probably working as we all expect, but the UI is misleading due to highlighting the wrong mode.

Binaryfool
Star
Star

This issue has been happening to me for almost a month. I haven't had time to really look into this until today, but it has been a pain for me to see Arlo app on my phone showing  incorrect mode most of the time. It's not changing the actual mode but it's incorrectly displaying the wrong mode. Usually displaying the mode that is right above the actual mode.

I have seen a lot of issue with Arlo but I have never had this particular issue since I bought Arlo system years ago until an update in November.

Yes the browser always shows the correct mode but that's not why I have Arlo app installed on my phone. 

I can confirm that this issue is only happening on Android devices. My family has access to Arlo under their on logins and they are all using iphone. They do not have this issue. The mode is always correctly displayed on iphones.

I have tried numerous things prior to looking up online and found this thread. I have restarted the Arlo base, reconfigured the cameras, reconfigured modes, clear app cache on my phone, uninstalled and reinstall the application on my phone. Nothing works.

Please look into this and please stop breaking things with new updates. I just want my Arlo system to work as it's supposed to. I'm sick and tired of having to troubleshoot Arlo system every few months.

Android version 8

Samsung Galaxy Edge S7

Arlo app version 2.12.0-26096 Released 12/13/2019

Base

Arlo HW version VMB4000r3

Arlo firmware version 1.14.1.2_2916_1fdeefd

Camera

Arlo HW version H3

Arlo firmware version 1.125.13.0_31717