Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Rezolution1
Star
Star

After the update on 11/22/2019 (2.11.1_26070) my Android Arlo app now shows the incorrect (sometimes random) mode setting.  If you close the app and restart it, it still shows the wrong mode.  You can confirm what mode it's actually set to by using a web browser on a pc or laptop, or opening a web browser tab on your phone and setting the browser to desktop mode.

Even though the system is set to "Armed" and you can verify this by setting off all the cameras at my house, the Android App will randomly tell me it's set to one of my many "custom" modes.

I would appreciate it if support would help fix this issue in the near future as I can't accurately tell what mode my system is using by using the Android App.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

This issue is resolved with the latest version of the Arlo Android app, which is version 2.13. Please make sure you have the latest version installed from the Google Play Store and let us know if you're still experiencing the same issue. You can read more about the new update here: Arlo Android App - 2.13 - 4th March 2020

View solution in original post

68 REPLIES 68
Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

This looks like same problem as we had a while ago, set schedules suddenly stopped working. System will either revert to individual camera mode or disarm itself.

Just noticed for the first time this morning, after resetting to schedules it went back to a mode arming one single camera. What do we have here again, corrupt firmware or a virus?

Arlo please look into this!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Doubtful it's a virus. I haven't experienced this myself so all I can suggest is to use a browser to set/check anything in the Mode tab since the app tends to be problematic in many ways. You can use a mobile browser if set to use the desktop version of the site.

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

@jguerdat :

Yeah I doubt that too, but it’s one of those “unexplainable” things. Schedules had been setup in a browser over six months ago.......they worked smoothly up until the other day when suddenly system gets armed and disarmed by itself. Current modes were no longer used according to schedule but individually.

I have memories of that from last year when we were dealing with unknown causes, corrupt firmware or whatever, it took a long time for things to stabilize again. That’s what I was afraid was happening again.

After resetting schedules it seems to work ok, still problem exists with the wrong current mode(s) reported on the android app and one has to wonder why, why why now? It was fine, working ok before they tinkered with it.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If you need immediate verification, use a browser (a mobile browser will work if set to the desktop version of the site). The web interface always shows things in the Mode tab properly even when the app doesn't. It's a long-standing issue.

Rezolution1
Star
Star
How is it a long standing issue if it's only since the 11/22/2019 android app upgrade and its never happened before in the 3 years I've owned the system?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It may simply be that you never noticed it before. This has been reported a couple to a few years ago - a search here would find a large number of threads. I've seen this myself during that whole time.

Rezolution1
Star
Star
Thats simply not correct. I've never had this issue before 11/22/2019 and I've owned the system for 3 years. I use it every day. Stop putting incorrect information into my thread and muddying it up. Saying I've never noticed it before is arrogant. I didn't create the thread to increase your post count, I created it to let arlo know it's an issue.

Your very first reply to my very first post in this thread tells me that you don't pay attention to what you're writing. If you read my inital post, I say I have to use the browser on my phone in desktop mode to see the correct mode setting. Then your reply tells me that exact same thing that I already put in my first post. Then you tell me it's always been happening to me and I just never noticed it? Then you imply I didn't do a search here before I opened a thread. Then you imply 4 threads from 2016 are a large number of threads. Are you just trolling me?
luckyvaliin
Initiate
Initiate

After the recent Arlo app update i see that it doesn't show up the right mode. When i switch modes from the app, it neither switches it appropriately nor stays with it. I setup "scheduled" mode from my laptop on my.arlo.com and then when i go back to app and check the mode shows as either disarmed or something else.. I dont have any idea whats going wrong with it. I reinstalled tha app manier times but it doesn't help. Pls help.

Thanks

Vali

dfjkl
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yeah, this is a new issue.  Or at least a different manifestation.  My app generally displayed the mode I set it to, now, after closing and reopening the app, it's displaying the mode completely wrong.  It's quite annoying and frustrating.  Also, if the Mode is correct on the web, it makes no sense why the app would be displaying it differently.  This is something that was definitely not happening prior to the latest updates and really should be fixed.  

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@dfjkl wrote:

This is something that was definitely not happening prior to the latest updates and really should be fixed.  

I agree.  The current mode always needs to be correctly displayed, and of course it needs to be something you can set from the app.  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Unfortunately, it's a long-standing issue with the apps. I strongly recommend using a browser for ANYTHING in the Mode tab to set or check. You can use a mobile browser when set to use the desktop version of the site.

echo92626
Tutor
Tutor

I am having same issues which seems to occur after recent app update. Before, everything was working great. The app mode keeps changing after I set it and actually was disarmed when going to bed last night and alarm went off by morning when getting up since app jumped to scheduled mode and was during the Armed scheduled time. VERY FRUSTRATING! I hope someone from Arlo team is taking notice of this. 

echo92626
Tutor
Tutor

Using Arlo Pro Base station, 2 Arlo Pro cameras and 2 Arlo cameras. This problem just recently started and i noticed another Arlo community article dated Nov 15, stating problem is fixed:

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo/Schedule-mode-no-longer-works-Skips-to-quot-Armed-quot-mode-when/...

... but I'm still having problems constantly where I set to Disarmed and app randomly changes to Scheduled or Custom mode, pretty much same as other thread but i was unable to leave reply in that thread, so i opened this new thread.

I've also went online to web based arlo settings and set to disarm but that did not work.

Really would like this fixed as I've already triggered alarm once in Sceduled mode when it should have been Disarmed.

xjc52
Initiate
Initiate

Thanks Rezolution1 for posting this issue. I am also experiencing this same problem. I've had my Arlo system for over 3 years, and I do not recall seeing this issue before. I wanted to make sure the Arlo support team acknowledged this as an issue, so I contacted them via a chat session. After almost two hours, one chat session disconnect, two agents, several setting checks, one app reinstall and a couple of uploaded screen shots, I convinced them there was an issue. I was told they will submit the issue to the next level of support and they provided me a case number. And so I wait …..

Rezolution1
Star
Star

xjc52, thanks for taking the time to open up a support ticket for this.  I know it's very frustrating to work with their tech support.  Having to 'prove' that there is a problem can be quite annoying.

sangwinacher
Luminary
Luminary

Latest Android version 10. 

For the last 1 year+ of owning this system, my Schedule with custom modes always reflected "Schedule" as the active mode.  Within the last 3 weeks, it's suddenly doing the following:

1. Displaying the active custom mode for that time frame, no longer the default "Schedule" mode.  This does not seem expected. 

2. As the day goes on, randomly the mode for some reason reflects a custom mode that is not part of the Schedule at all.  Yet, my correct custom mode set in my schedule is still triggering and applied behind the scenes.  It appears as though there's some sort of bug where it displays the wrong active mode, but in reality the custom mode applied to the Schedule is really still working.  Yes, my Schedule and custom modes within that schedule have been setup properly for over a year and are triggering correctly.  The display of the current Mode not remaining set as "Schedule" as well as also erroneously displaying a custom mode that's not actually active or even part of the Schedule are the issues here.

These bugs are getting more and more confusing for us users.

Wait
Tutor
Tutor

I'm running into this issue right now too. If the app closes, and I restart and sign in again (using fingerprint if that matters), the Security mode changes to either the scheduled custom mode, or the last mode I had manually selected before 'Scheduled'.

Is there a problem in the Android app that stops it from properly recording and restoring the user's last selected/most recent mode before the app is closed or removed from mobile memory?

Whether or not it really changes the mode is disconcerting because I don't want to check on my cameras and then have my security mode reset to my least secure setting, that I may have toggled on when having visitors, after I restart the Android app. I go set this manually back to Scheduled every time, unnecessary inconvenience... just store the last used security mode in cloud user data, and pull that and set it in the app upon logging in again ...

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The app has had an issue for some time now that doesn't always display or work properly in the Mode tab. I recommend using a browser to verify/set things in the Mode tab to be certain that what you see is what you get. You can use a mobile browser if set to use the desktop version of the site.

sangwinacher
Luminary
Luminary
Seems pretty ridiculous huh? A security system whose security modes don't function properly...
sangwinacher
Luminary
Luminary
Definitely a mobile app issue since a browser (even from my phone) shows the correct Mode.
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi everyone,

There was a new version that was released yesterday for the Arlo Android app, which is version 2.11.2. Is the issue still occurring after updating to the latest app version and/or rebooting your Android device?

Rezolution1
Star
Star
The android app store still shows 2.11.1

Did they forget to push the update?
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey Rezolution1,

We confirmed on our side that the Arlo Android app version 2.11.2 is available on the Google Play Store. Try uninstalling the Arlo Android app and download it again to see if you get the latest Arlo app update.

Rezolution1
Star
Star
I got the new version to install. It works the forst time you open the app. If you stop the app and reopen the app then it still does the same thing. Randomly shows wrong modes.

So no, it isnt fixed.