Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Davidor
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've installed 6 cameras around my house.  The advertisements claim these cameras should last a month or two between charges.  I'm having to recharge a battery in at least one of the cameras every day!  I'm lucky if one of the cameras lasts 3-4 days.  I've already lowered the resolution to the lowest setting.  What do I have to do to get the advertised 2 month battery life?

10 REPLIES 10
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Davidor wrote:

I'm having to recharge a battery in at least one of the cameras every day! 

How much recording activity is there (approx. minutes per day per camera)?

Davidor
Aspirant
Aspirant
they record most of the day. I have them all over the house and there's constant movement all day by the cameras.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Davidor wrote:
they record most of the day. I have them all over the house and there's constant movement all day by the cameras.

The battery life estimate is based on 5 minutes of recording per camera per day.  Most of my cameras (which are outdoors) have less than that.  

One option is to disarm the cameras when you are home (using the geofencing feature).  Alternatively arm/disarm cameras on a schedule.

Another approach is to power the cameras all the time with the USB charger.  Though of course that will require a nearby outlet, and the cabling might add too much visual clutter.  You can of course do both (power some cameras, and geofence the rest).

Davidor
Aspirant
Aspirant
Well, I decided to hard wire them in. So far, i have 2 of the 6 cameras hard wired. I bought a tool to allow me to pull wires through insulated walls and it works pretty slick.
Davidor
Aspirant
Aspirant
pic 1
Davidor
Aspirant
Aspirant
Pic 2
Davidor
Aspirant
Aspirant
Pic 3

Think I have a better plan for the rest to look better than this. (I need to now paint that spot seeing to fish the wire down the wall, i drop a piece of metal and use a magnet to pull it down the wall. Right now, I put all the camera straight into studs. I'm going to move them over slightly so then I can drill that large hole under the part that holds the camera to the wall. Maybe ill do it to the camera in the pic so they all look the same. Although my wife thinks I care tok much about how it looks when done. But, I want it to look professional and clean.
Davidor
Aspirant
Aspirant
Pic 4
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

If using a regular usb cable on the outside cameras to feed power, make sure that you somehow seal the usb port to prevent water intrusion ( as they are not weather resistant like the outdoor cables )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Davidor
Aspirant
Aspirant
These are the cables I bought. It says they're weather proof. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PXP6CM6/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_fxlREbTPBJ6JS