Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 41 Replies
  • 10 Likes
  • 14 In Conversation
larryinfl1
Tutor
Tutor

Hello All,

I'm new to Arlo. I bought a base station and Pro camera two days ago. The wireless range works great for me, interface is nice and video quality works great for my needs. I'm excited to find a wireless solution!

I'm sorry if this is being discussed in another thread. I searched a dozen pages and tried searching with several different search phrases. 

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S8+. I have the Arlo Pro and the Pro base station.

When I get a motion notification on the phone I click it and it starts to lauch the app after several sections. Maybe 5-15 seconds. I can not go to the home screen or do anything else. If I do try to go to the home screen or do something else the blank Arlo screen pops back up automaticly. If I force quit the app Arlo witll automaticly reopen and loging after a few seconds.

The process makes my phone unusable for 30-60 seconds.

It tried support live chat, which was a bit on the rude side, and their only solution was to turn off LTE. I said that was not an option for me. The agent then tried to convince me my phone did not need LTE. I was very disppointed in the chat experiene to say the least.

I asked the agent several times if this was a known issue and if a fix was being worked on. I never got a reponse to either question. 

Can I get a reponse from Netgear on this? 

Is this a known issue? Is a fix being worked on currently?

Is this issue specific to the Galaxy S8/S8+? 

I know fixes can come slow for large companies, but I would like some honest, truthfull answers from Netgear on this one. I love the system and I'm hoping the fix is being worked on.

Thanks!

Larry

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

A new version of the Arlo mobile app is available for download from the Play Store. Please be sure to download and install the latest version: Release Notes

JamesC

View solution in original post

41 REPLIES 41
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Larry... from the sound of it , not normal...

As you say , it may be model specific( not exactly sure of the model changes other than processor , mem, etc ).   I run the S7 / os 7 and don'r see the issue you do.  New models, OS's sometimes throw a mionkey wrench in till the next app update.

Does it do the same or similar delays on another device ??

I would also ask if your letting the app sit in background or not?? ( I do )( also don't turn off the LTE here, it makes no diff for me )

Starting from non-running app;  I just timed my system with 12 cams, and the app shows the cameras on screen (static pic )at the 4-5 second mark and the cameras info ( small battery icon, sig level ) appear at about 8+secs( data from base). The app is totaly on and functional at the 10-11 sec mark.

App in background;  Cameras pop up in a  second+, fairly instant.

Other than above, I have no advice other than a normal un-install and re-install of the app just to make sure all went in good from the start.

But I would file a trouble report with Netgear to file a problem ( get a case # ) and make sure they're aware of a possible issue.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Interesting.  While I'm not completely sure I followed your whole description, it sounds just like an issue I have on one Android device, an old Nexus 10 tablet running LineageOS 14.1 (Android 7.1.2). I have to jump through hoops to get the app to start up.  It's sounding like specific devices and/or OSes are somewhat incompatible with the latest 2 apps (the recent update didn't fix it).  Open a case with support if your prior contact didn't do so and I will, too.  I'll also try to back-channel it.

My other devices (old Galaxy Nexus with LineageOS 13.1 and Nexus 6 with stock 7.1.2) work fine, although it's a bit different in startup operation which is slightly annoying.  Dunno if this is due to added features or a strategy change.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Engineering is currently investigating this issue. I will post an update once I have more information.

JamesC

baazigar_
Aspirant
Aspirant

Exact same issue here with Samsung Galaxy S8+. Hopefully it can be fixed with an update. I've reinstalled and done all the basic troubleshooting, no difference. 

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor

I have an S7 edge and have similar problems and it's been that way for months and months as it is quoted in the play store. 

Sdlyte
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same issue on Galaxy S8 standard. Frequently getting long pauses when selecting from drop down notifications. Then takes a while for the cameras to become recognized on my devices list and assumes I have no cameras for a few moments. I'm also getting issues with occassionally delayed notifications on wifi several minutes after recordings and I never put the app to sleep. On my old galaxy s6 edge everything was pretty smooth and speedy which did not require fingerprint login.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Engineering is currently investigating this issue. I will provide an update when I have more information.

JamesC

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Much appreciated JamesC
ThermoDyn
Star
Star

Same issue here with an LG G5 (H831 Canada) running 7.0 H83120b and a 3 camera Arlo Pro system.

Click notification - stalls on white screen - kill the task, relaunch, reauthenticate, works now.

Just about every single time.  Very frustrating when I am trying to get to the cameras quick because of a motion trigger.

It's been like this for awhile.

Chris

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
I have a case open on this. Open your own case with support using the Contact Support link at the bottom here. Feel free to reference my case, 28464693
EBerry
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the exact same problem on a Samsung phone and tablet.  There are dozens of reports of the same issue in reviews of the Android app, so it seems to be a common issue.  The app worked fine until around a month ago.  Rebooting the device and restarting the app does not fix it.  The flickering and hanging happen almost every time the app is started from a notification.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

As a workaround for the time being, use the multitask soft button and pause - Arlo should then kick back in and complete the login.  On occasion I've had to do this a couple of times and even have to force stop the app for it to work.

This doesn't happen to all devices and all recent OSes but...  I have one device that does this and 2 others that are fine.

BananaChipz
Aspirant
Aspirant
I can confirm the exact experience as the OP on my Galaxy S8+. Is there any update?
gweempose
Aspirant
Aspirant

I was just about to buy a five camera Arlo Pro system, but now I'm second guessing that decision since I have a Galaxy S8+. I hope this situation is resolved soon. Until then, I guess I'll just sit on the sidelines and wait. Smiley Sad

BananaChipz
Aspirant
Aspirant
I wouldn't let it stop you from buying. It's annoying as hell, yes, but Arlo will still notify you, record motion, etc. Netgear HAS to fix this considering it affects such a popular device.
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor

It's been months now still not fixed

kmoo
Tutor
Tutor

@JamesC (NETGEAR Moderator) -- Any update on this issue? It's been annoying the heck out of me ever since I got my new Galaxy S8+.

Thanks!

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor

I 2nd that

larryinfl1
Tutor
Tutor
I've worked for large companies like this, and I certainly would not expect a fix in 2-3 months. I suspect we will have to live with this annoying issue for a while.
BananaChipz
Aspirant
Aspirant
Got the update today. It's definitely more stable, and doesn't do the blank screen thing anymore. Also noticed it's faster to live view. Will report back if I'm just dreaming 🙂
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

A new version of the Arlo mobile app is available for download from the Play Store. Please be sure to download and install the latest version: Release Notes

JamesC

Adara1944
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello from Peru,

I purchased the stand alone arlo unit from Best Buy in Houston Texas last month from a girl who 

said it could work anywhere.   I have a catamaran in Guatemala and one in Colan, Peru.  When i 

got to my hotel in Houston i down loaded the App for the S8 samsung and followed the procedures.

the arlo worked.  Since i have returned to Peru ,,,  Piura , Peru i can not get it to work....:::????.

I have looked for a help telephone desk to call but nothing... have called some distributers and they 

say they do not offer the service...  Any ideas would be good ...  or I guess next trip to HOuston I will

go to best buy and turn it back in....::???  

Bill

kmoo
Tutor
Tutor

@JamesC Yes, fixed!  Happy day!  Smiley Very Happy

shoustonnz
Luminary
Luminary

I have a service request running, concerning the exact same issue and extremly poor Geofencing... and I have been told the following......

You say Firmware update.....4th July

"My name is Mae and I am answering in behalf of my colleagues.Please give us an update once the firmware update is release"\

So this for the Base station and cameras, am I correct??

And the app update, you told me on the 2nd of July.....

Going back to your concern wherein the Arlo app takes too long to load up, please be informed that we have heard similar reports and have identified the issue. We are expecting for an update release next week"

There was a release on the 29th of June (2.4.4_17405). Going by the wording in your replies there is another app update to come,and a firmware update Yes or No.