Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Android App Runs Poorly on Galaxy S8+

Discussion stats
  • 41 Replies
  • 10 Likes
  • 14 In Conversation
larryinfl1
Tutor
Tutor

Hello All,

I'm new to Arlo. I bought a base station and Pro camera two days ago. The wireless range works great for me, interface is nice and video quality works great for my needs. I'm excited to find a wireless solution!

I'm sorry if this is being discussed in another thread. I searched a dozen pages and tried searching with several different search phrases. 

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S8+. I have the Arlo Pro and the Pro base station.

When I get a motion notification on the phone I click it and it starts to lauch the app after several sections. Maybe 5-15 seconds. I can not go to the home screen or do anything else. If I do try to go to the home screen or do something else the blank Arlo screen pops back up automaticly. If I force quit the app Arlo witll automaticly reopen and loging after a few seconds.

The process makes my phone unusable for 30-60 seconds.

It tried support live chat, which was a bit on the rude side, and their only solution was to turn off LTE. I said that was not an option for me. The agent then tried to convince me my phone did not need LTE. I was very disppointed in the chat experiene to say the least.

I asked the agent several times if this was a known issue and if a fix was being worked on. I never got a reponse to either question. 

Can I get a reponse from Netgear on this? 

Is this a known issue? Is a fix being worked on currently?

Is this issue specific to the Galaxy S8/S8+? 

I know fixes can come slow for large companies, but I would like some honest, truthfull answers from Netgear on this one. I love the system and I'm hoping the fix is being worked on.

Thanks!

Larry

41 REPLIES 41
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor

dose this mean a firm ware update july 4  ?

shoustonnz
Luminary
Luminary
I don't know. I have asked for clarification. It is the 4th of July in my part of the world. But we are ahead of the rest of the world. All I am doing is quoting what netgear is telling me.
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor

thanks july 4 for me to    NY

larryinfl1
Tutor
Tutor
I've been testing throughout the day and the issue does seem resolved. Thanks, Netgear.
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
I agree still hangs between arm and disarm ,for me at least
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Not fixed
shoustonnz
Luminary
Luminary
Agree still slow. Also got clarification this morning.

This is Bill with Expert ID 46284 and I will be responding in behalf of the previous expert.

As of the moment, our engineering team is currently working on creating a firmware that will fix the geofencing bugs. Hopefully that it will be released soon.

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Thanks for info
shoustonnz
Luminary
Luminary
So this appears to be the new android app. Yes, login is faster I agree. But it is getting stuck on the change mode screen. It appears to have changed mode. Been stuck there for 10 minutes plus now. Has done this several times this week. Forcing app to stop fixes it. But problem come back, not immediately, but they come back.
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Same problem I have
BananaChipz
Aspirant
Aspirant
No problems here switching between modes. Been attempting it all day. Strange.
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
It dose not happen all the time. But when it dose it is annoying. I use the s7 smartphone. App getting stuck should not happen at all.maybe the next firmware will fix it.
shoustonnz
Luminary
Luminary
Here is netgears latest reply. I will try, but its al things I have done before. Not with this version of app, but I will try.

If the app is still loading, please try to turn restart your phone. After that, please turn off your router and your base station and kindly wait for 2 minutes before turning the router and the base station on. Once the base station and the router is done rebooting, kindly try to access the app again.

Please update us with the results.
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Did it work for you
shoustonnz
Luminary
Luminary
I must say following the advice netgear gave me... Power down router, base station,for at least 2 mins and restart phone as well. Has worked, I doubted it would, but I guess it realigned all the ducks. Is this advice we should follow for all updates??? Geo fencing still untested. But thats a firmware fix they said. But thanks netgear, we are getting there.
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Tried that did nothing for me still gets stuck between arm and disarm
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Well I tried what you said for a second time and when I did all three of my cameras received a firmware update. Now for the past 12 hours I've been running this firmware everything is great smooth no problems