Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Android App Logs us out constantly!!!

Discussion stats
BigRed3169
Aspirant
Aspirant
So I've been using my Arlo system for over a year now. Liked it so much I upgraded to better cameras. Then the app makes me want to get rid of my system entirely. The convenience factor of being able to log in with fingerprint isn't worth a damn thing if my wife logs in to look at the cameras! Arlo app makes us physically type in password Everytime now! Why have the unlock with fingerprint option if you don't let us use it Anymore????

Ok so I definitely feel dumb!!! Decided to create a new user name for my wife and Grant her access!!! SUCCESS!!!! Now I'm not fighting to login anymore!!!!!
85 REPLIES 85
NancyS24
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks! I'll try that the next time. 

silverado44
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
As the title says when is it going to be fixed or rolled back, getting tired of the session time out notice and yes I am doing the work around.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A workaround, NOT A FIX, is to use the multitask button (single or double rectangles next the Home button), click on the "X" for Arlo and run the app normally.

shoustonnz
Luminary
Luminary
The fix repaired my pc login. But watching this thread for Android login fix. Very frustrating.
Krispy
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've tried all items in the thread, still logging me out.

Any other suggestions?

TreasureB
Apprentice
Apprentice

Just Received a response (3/20/18) to my  chat session  of several days ago with Netgear Support (finally) They are "collating cases such as yours" and requested additional info; base station S/N, phone brand and model, OS, App version, etc. It appears they may now be attempting to figure out and hopefully provide effective solutions to this maddening App issue. It's clearly not an issue with  my base station, my phone,  as it worked fine till the update, but a fault in the app latest 3/14/18 Arlo app update v 2.4.9_20031.

Hopefully soon

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Until it's actually fixed, all we have are workarounds.

TKIRBY
Aspirant
Aspirant
App every time I use says, session has ended log in
Nik765
Guide
Guide
This is good to hear. It has to be app related. Does everyone have the problem?
Nik765
Guide
Guide

If I log out of the app, I don't receive notifications. Video is recorded though. Is this normal? 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes. It's better to not log out so everything works properly. Of course, you may have to invoke the workaround for the "session expired" issue.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Engineering is aware of this issue and hopes to have a fix available very soon. We apologize for any inconvenience caused, I will provide an update as soon as I have more information on the fix.

JamesC

EGRG
Aspirant
Aspirant
Nope that didn't fix it. Called ARLO support and they said a workaround is to log in using Google chrome browser using incognito mode. She said they have developers trying to fix the problem with the app. Apparently it's not an easy fix because it is taking weeks to fix.
silverado44
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I just cant believe is to why they dont just roll back the previous app if there having so much trouble with this new app, iam doing the work around but sometimes when I go to mode to disable my cameras I get from the top down  armed-disarm-Schedule-Geofencing- Rules which is normal and always been like that, now sometimes the disamed button will be at the bottom so I dont know why its taking them so long to fix this app.

Thewood
Apprentice
Apprentice

I finally got an official response by PM that they are aware of the issue.  This whole thing is a mess.  Not sure I have ever seen an app update that broke so many things as once.  I hope Arlo's IPO isn't behind this mess.

BetaUser3000
Guide
Guide
I have not encountered the session timeout error since this morning. I didn't do anything on my end. Since mid-March, whenever I tapped the notification of a motion-triggered recording on my android phone, I always got the session timeout error which I temporarily got around by killing the arlo app and relaunching. It's only been four hours so I will post later tonight.
BetaUser3000
Guide
Guide
I spoke too soon, I am still getting session timed out on my android phone so I need to terminate and relaunch.
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

I am not experiencing this issue so I can't test this, but I just upgraded to Android 8 (Oero) and in going thru the settings again I came across this setting that I had forgot about. Give this a try.........

Settings, Cloud and accounts, Backup and restore, turn off: Automatic restore.

Once off, close all apps (X out of them), then uninstall Arlo and then reinstall. I know people have uninstalled and reinstalled and still have the issue, but by turning this setting off it won't restore backed up Arlo settings/data from the cloud. This may help if during the install of the new version your backup data saved the "bad install data" and keeps loading it back in when doing a reinstall. Turning this off will give you a clean reinstall. I have no idea if it will help, but worth a try.

After you try, go back in and turn the setting back on.

silverado44
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I dont have cloud backing up my Arlo app settings only thing I have it backing up is my contacts and I still get the time out. I cant believe it is taking this long to fix there broken app.

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

@silverado44

My android is highly customized so I thought on a fairly stock phone that the arlo app data would get backed up under app data in the backup section, but I checked a few other andriod phones and like yours the arlo data is not in the list to backup app data. Looks like arlo isn't taking advantage of the google drive android api. Ok, sorry, I guess turning off that setting isn't going to help anyone. Thanks for the feedback. It's a waiting game for those having the issue. Smiley Sad

Rubyphilipgriff
Tutor
Tutor
Has Mr And Mrs Arlo come up with a fix as of yet with this timeout issue please log on, or is it still a waiting game.?
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

An update for the Android Arlo mobile app is now available in the app store that addresses this issue. Please visit the app store and be sure you are up to date on the latest version of the Arlo Mobile App: Release Notes - Android App 2.4.10 - 26th March 2018

JamesC

EGRG
Aspirant
Aspirant
That fix didn't work for me. I reinstalled the app and restarted my phone and I've still had to log in over and over again all day.
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

The new app just came out. If you reinstalled before you reinstalled the old version. As James was posting the info on the new version I checked the google play store and it wasn't there yet, then about 2 minutes later the new version showed up. Version 2.4.10_20077.

Check the play store again. It showed up in the play store about 4:10 est today.

DaveW-NC
Star
Star

Well, it is improved, but I wouldn't call it fixed.

I still got the orange bar/timeout indication. However, I didn't have to Force Stop the app. I use fingerprint verification, so I was able to use my finger to login, which is pretty painless. However, for those who don't have a phone that can do that, I can see that this would be a very unsatisfactory fix. I didn't see an option for auto-login, but maybe your password is saved and you just press Enter Password?

James C, can you please explain the reason behind the logouts? I assume this is possibly for security reasons, but I think if we're concerned about that, we can lock our phones with a PIN, fingerprint, etc. I'm sure there's some aspect that we don't know about, but a little explanation goes a long way in satisfying users. If there is no explanation, it gets interpreted as poor customer support, or we may think that something is very broken, not easily fixed, and that's why we're not being told. Even in that case, honesty is the best policy, IMO.