Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
AntmanXP
Star
Star

Arlo Team,

From my understanding, the Arlo Pro series of cameras detect motion by heat recognition, while the Arlo Q cameras detect motion by pixel comparison.  The Arlo Pro series conserves battery power by remaining off until motion is detected and then only comes on (records) when the heat sensors detect motion.  My question is...  Is there any engineering reason why the Arlo Pro's could not do pixel comparison if they were used while plugged in?  Since your not worried about battery power when the device is plugged in, it seems a small comparison algorithm could be used as a optional motion detection... or allow the option of motion detection on battery with the understanding the cameras might need to be charged monthly instead of every 3~6 months.  I think this would extend the usefulness of the Arlo Pro line for indoor-to-outdoor applications.  I'm not able to mount cameras externally in my complex, but the heat detection method won't work through my windows.  The Arlo Q can do this, but it's missing many of the features I enjoy with the Arlo Pro 2.

Thanks,

AntmanXP.

5 REPLIES 5
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

No the Pro can not do pixel detection like the Pro2 

It's not just software but hardware  change too

But yes the Pro2 does pixel detection while on ac and acts like a regular Pro model with pir while on battery power ....just not the other way around

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
AntmanXP
Star
Star

TomMac,

Ah, this is great news!  I do have the Pro 2, but I lumped them all together in my message.  O.k., I will test this out.

Thanks for the update!

AntmanXP

AntmanXP
Star
Star

TomMac wrote:

No the Pro can not do pixel detection like the Pro2 

It's not just software but hardware  change too

But yes the Pro2 does pixel detection while on ac and acts like a regular Pro model with pir while on battery power ....just not the other way around

TomMac,

After testing, I don't think the Arlo Pro 2 operates in the way you describe.  I have plugged in one of my Arlo Pro 2 cameras to usb power, and place it in the same location as my Arlo Q, and the Arlo Pro 2 is not triggering to video images changes to the same degree as the Arlo Q.  The Arlo Q is catching everything, whereas the Arlo Pro 2 is having the same issue as before... I don't believe I've seen any improvement between the camera running plugged in vs battery power (with sensitivity dailed up high).  

Can someone from NetGear respond if this is possible?

AntmanXP

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Are both the Q and P2 looking through glass?  That's the situation I have and apparently the P2 pixel detection when AC powered has been removed.  The Q will detect motion but not the P2.

AntmanXP
Star
Star

jguerdat wrote:

Are both the Q and P2 looking through glass?  That's the situation I have and apparently the P2 pixel detection when AC powered has been removed.  The Q will detect motion but not the P2.

jguerdat,

Yes, In my situation, both are looking through glass from inside to out.  Due to my home association, it's difficult to mount cameras externally, so I'm forced to monitor through windows.  It's regretable this feature was disabled...  even if it was unreliable, it would be nice to have the option to activate it in settings.  I would prefer to have occaisional false triggers, rather than no triggers at all.  Hopefully this feature will return in the future.

Thanks for the update.

AntmanXP.