Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
ByeArlo
Star
Star
Up until yesterday -- 11/9/19 -- I had no problems charging my four separate Arlo Pro cameras. As of today -- 11/10/19 -- not a single one of my cameras will take a charge. I tried using two different official Arlo chargers, have swapped batteries, have resynched the cameras, have tried multiple outlets, and I can't get anything to work. I'm convinced the company issued a bad firmware or app update that has broken everything, but as usual, Arlo's garbage tech support is totally clueless. Anyone have any idea what may be going on?
8 REPLIES 8
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

don't see any issue with a pro 2 and pro charging here.... just did both this am.

have no idea as to why you have an issue.

As to a sw update effecting charging, that would be strange...   Do you have a charge tube ?

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
renth
Aspirant
Aspirant

None of my 5 batteries are charging too.

I figured it was the charging adaptor so went out and got another one. This didn't work either.

I believe it's something to do with a firmware upgrade. I don't believe ALL my batteries have died simultaneously.

Looking forwards to hearing what the solution is...

ByeArlo
Star
Star

Appreciate the reply -- am convinced this is a bad firmware update. Given Arlo's track record of purposely ruining the product experience (how can you not need therapy after the app update debacle last year?), I'm 99% certain that they pushed a firmware update to crush any ability to use a non-Arlo branded charger to recharge the batteries. Except... they flew too close to the sun on this one, and now they've impeded even official Arlo chargers from working.

There's one bit of good news -- I managed to get my chargers working but only by walking around my house and randomly plugging in/out of every wall outlet I have. Eventually one of them worked, so now I've got to move a couch every time I want to charge the batteries.

Congratulations, Netgear and Arlo -- just when you thought you couldn't anger your best customers more, you've managed to outdo yourselves... bravo!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ByeArlo wrote:

I'm 99% certain that they pushed a firmware update to crush any ability to use a non-Arlo branded charger to recharge the batteries.

Personally I doubt that, though there's no way to know for sure.  The revenue from charger accessories can't be all that much, so I don't see why they would bother targetting that.

FWIW, I've charged two of my Pro 2s this week, and didn't have any issue with either one.

Phoney49
Luminary
Luminary
If you are charging outdoors, do you live somewhere cold? Cameras will not charge if at or below freezing. This is to protect the batteries.
renth
Aspirant
Aspirant

OK, update with some good news.

It wasn't the charger but the cable.

I purchased a 9V Samsung Fast charger and cable. At first it didn't work with the supplied Netgear cable.

The Samsung cable would not fit into the cameras because, as you know the connector is deep in the camera so I whittled away the edge of the plastic cable end piece with a sharp knife to fit. At first it didn't work, I still got the orange flashing light. 

Next day I chiselled off a bit more plastic on the cable to get a more snug fit and Bingo! all cameras are now charging.

It wasn't the firmware after all!

ByeArlo
Star
Star

The cables aren't the culprit. I swapped out several micro USB cables to test that, and none of them worked.

This is purely a greed move by Netgear, to force you either to buy all new cameras.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ByeArlo wrote:

The cables aren't the culprit. I swapped out several micro USB cables to test that, and none of them worked.

Well, the cable certainly was the issue for @renth 

Of course you've tried two chargers and several cables, so it does sound like something else in your case.  It is odd that one outlet works but others fail.