Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Doormaster2008
Initiate
Initiate

Why do i keep getting Access token has expired. When this comes up i have to either delete the app and reinstall it or change my password. It wont even accept my fingerprint

54 REPLIES 54
Chris67
Luminary
Luminary

I totally agree with the poster. This is the first time I have been faced with "access token has expired" on my phone. I do not get it on my computer running Windows 10 latest build so I suspect some bug in the android phone app. Don't expect any sensible replies from Arlo and don't expect a fix for at least 3 months. That's who they are!

jhstealth
Tutor
Tutor

Welp, here we are again.   Just happened to me again this morning.  At least this time it was only an annoyance rather than a potential emergency.  I first posted on here about it November 2018.   Chris (previous poster) says it'll take them 3 months to fix it.   Shayne said on 3/22/19 that the development team was looking into it.   On Chris' clock we're 45+ calendar days into our 90 days.  I don't know if I should be angry that this problem is still happening or hopeful that they've at least acknowledged it and maybe about halfway to finally, FINALLY fixing it.  

I've been in IT for 20 years and am a programmer.   That said, I'm embarassed for them.   Even if they fix it, at this point, I will never own another piece of Netgear equipment, all because of this problem.   I'm not going to throw money away and replace it until it breaks, but when it does break down, Netgear will not be considered in the search for a replacement.  I can't imagine anything Netgear could do at this point to win me back.

dataslide1
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am using a Note 8 and this is rather disturbing that I cannot get into my account without having to uninstall this app? Please let me know what needs to be done. This appears to be a program going back to November of 2018 and I see no resolve. Was this matter just dropped without a fix?

eldaddy
Initiate
Initiate
had the same problem for the first time today.

i switched of my samsung s9 phone and restarted it and it didnt work.

i put in a ramdom log in and pass and after i got the error message, i re-inputed my usual log in and pass and...

it worked!

hope this helps.
Chris67
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks Eldaddy for your suggested workaround. We shouldn't have to be doing this. Arlo should fix the problem. What's going on Arlo? Please speak to us - the community that supported you by investing in your product. Please give us your support in return!

Poppy2350
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you, that worked!

JerryR
Luminary
Luminary

I perioodically have this problem as well on my Galaxy S8 and Galaxy Tab A. The fingerprint login fails with the same error message. Luckily the password still works. The is the ONLY app where fingerprint login stops working.

allan_p
Aspirant
Aspirant

My father-in-law had this problem yesterday. He is using a Samsung J series (I think) phone. So when he called me about it, because he granted me access to his camera to help him with it, I opened the app on my phone (a Samsung Galaxy S8) and sure enough I had the message as well. I just cleared the message, then logged in to the Arlo app on my phone with my regular password with no problem, and was presented with the library. So everything was easy for me.

My main concern with this is, I know that if I log out on purpose, I will NOT get the alerts from the camera. So if we get this token expired problem, does it mean we are logged out and therefore not get the alerts? That's one of the reasons to have the app, is to get the alerts.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You're not logged out. It's a bug in the automatic login for the apps, likely on the server side since it affects both iOS an Android apps alike.

allan_p
Aspirant
Aspirant

@jguerdat wrote:

You're not logged out. It's a bug in the automatic login for the apps, likely on the server side since it affects both iOS an Android apps alike.

So if I'm not logged out, will the app still alert me when there is audio or video activity? 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes.

Important-user
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same problem and I'm so tired of it.
I worry too that my exchange students are causing it by disconnecting the base station or hacking it somehow. Even if it's not doing it for those reasons, having it happen so often is horrible. Arlo, fix it. Or fire the team who should be fixing it, they have failed the company and are causing a lot of hate for the product.
Along with not having a notification system for when the base station is disconnected by other people who share the house for shadey reasons, this Arlo product is seriously flawed.
IDGUY
Guide
Guide

You will get the alert, but you won't be able to view it if you aren't logged in.

I've been having this problem as well, and it's a huge safety issue Netgear. I have this system to protect my family and home.  Up to now, I just had to relog in, which was still a major problem, wasting time when it could be a very serious matter.  This time, relogging in did not work. Restaring the phone did NOT fix it as of 5 min ago. I guess I will have to change the password, and then go and change it on the all the devices we use to access the system.

Netgear, this IS a serious issue that needs to be addressed before someone gets hurt,  due to you not addressing it after being made aware of it.

IDGUY
Guide
Guide

Putting in a bogus login and having it refect it,  and then relogging with my info did work for me, so thank you for that work around.

Not something I want to have to do though, when I've gotten an alert and need to see what caused it. Robot Mad

JD777664
Aspirant
Aspirant

* DOES THIS KEEP HAPPENING! I GET A NOTIFICATION SOMETHING IS AT MY DOOR I GO TO LOOK AND IT SAYS ACCESS TOKEN EXPIRED AND I HAVE TO FIND A WORKOUT WHICH CAN TAKE 10-15 MINUTES AT LEAST WHILE SOMEONE CAN BE ROBBING MY HOUSE.   FIX THIS CRAP ARLO!!!! I'M ABOUT READY TO JUST BUY A WHOLE NEW SYSTEM CUZ YOU HAVE BEEN SITTING ON THIS FOR YEARS. THIS HAS HAPPENED THROUGH 3 DIFFERENT PHONES I HAVE OWNED AND TRIED EVERYTHING, IT'S REALLY UNBELIEVABLE.

VirgLS
Aspirant
Aspirant

This is happening on two of my devices.

For my Android phone I just retyped my password and I got in. For my Fire tablet I went into "settings, apps and games," and cleared the Arlo cache.

That did the trick.

AJ2019
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've had this product for a year or so and this issue has not been fixed, no matter how much you complaint, they just dont care, they have a generic response that looks like an auto-reply or a bot. Anyhow it is a huge securtiy risk not only the TOKEN EXPIRATION issue but the latency of their cloud service, i have a 1gb internet connection and i get 750mb over wifi, my arlo cameras have reserved dhcp and static ip, plus an isolated network just for them, product still lags when you try to access the recordings and the cameras when you try to access the live view, so do not accept any excuses from Netgear it is just an expensive sub-par product, we almost had our car broken into and i could not access the camera in time, luckily my neighbor was outside and stopped the incident from happening. I am currently testing Wyze and Ring and i am very satisfied with both, i will be upgrading to Ring cameras soon. Unfurtonately i cant say which is worse, netgear support team or the product itself.

Dav48
Aspirant
Aspirant
You have my support regardiing Arlo password protocols. If these cameras are intented to be used on the small business or cooperate level, I could appreciate their rule to change the passwords regularly. That said, these are intended for home use. Changing the passwords regularly is troublesome and not user friendly. If Arlo wishes to continue this way, it is up to them but I would urge them not too.
Dav48
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have read the complaints about Expiring Tokens going back for more than a year. It seems quiet obvious that Arlo (or NetGear) has no concern, or interest, in fixing the repetitive password expirations AND the lag time from when activity occurs to when the system starts recording, and a notification to sent to me of the activity. There are many security camera providers, it might be time to investigate other options.
LPTomLP
Aspirant
Aspirant
I'm having the same problem and after paying for the subscription this is very frustrating..
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

I saw this regularly for quite a while, but I haven't seen the "access token" yet with the new Arlo app.

Are you seeing it with "Arlo" or with "Arlo Legacy"?

allan_p
Aspirant
Aspirant

I assume I am using "Arlo" as I don't see the word Legacy in it. I am currently on version 2.7.12_25660 released on 06/27/19.

I cannot say for sure whether the app is better or not right now. As an experiment, I am trying to remember to launch the app at least once a day whether or not I have had an alert. I have done that for a week now and have not gotten the "access token" message so far.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@allan_p wrote:

I assume I am using "Arlo" as I don't see the word Legacy in it. I am currently on version 2.7.12_25660 released on 06/27/19.

You are running legacy - the new Arlo apps are 2.8.

https://kb.arlo.com/000062252/Why-do-I-need-to-download-a-new-Arlo-app

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Announcements/Arlo-is-migrating-to-a-new-Arlo-app-this-month/m-p/17218...

FWIW, you will need to replace your current app with the new one before October 1.

allan_p
Aspirant
Aspirant

I usually keep my apps up to date to get the new bug fixes. I just checked the Android Play store. Why doesn't it indicate that there is a new version when I look at "My Apps"?

allan_p
Aspirant
Aspirant

@allan_p wrote:

I usually keep my apps up to date to get the new bug fixes. I just checked the Android Play store. Why doesn't it indicate that there is a new version when I look at "My Apps"?

Now I see it. When I check the "Installed" list, I see that the app is called Arlo Legacy. And when I search for Arlo, I find the new app. Why don't they just tell me to install the new one and delete the old one? That's bad customer support.